Playing PAL DVD on non-converting DVD player

B

ben76

Audiophyte
This is probably a dumb question. PAL and NTSC are interlaced formats. Is it correct to say progressive scan is a format that's neither PAL or NTSC?

The reason I ask is some DVD players don't do conversion between PAL and NTSC. However, if I do use progressive scan output of a DVD player, and hook it up to a progressive scan tv, does that mean I'm agnostic of the NTSC or PAL formats? Will I be able to play a PAL dvd on a non-converting player when hooked up to a progressive scan output, such as component Y, Pb, Pr, or HMDI?

Ben

W

w.e-coyote

Audioholic Intern
Sorry to disappoint but upconverting to progressive will not make the player multi-format. In general, many PAL DVD players also support NTSC play-back but very few (if any) NTSC players support PAL playback. Going to progressive just doubles the number of lines of any give format; PAL stays PAL and NTSC stays NTSC.

If you reside in Europe or some PAL country you'll be ok if you shop around for multi-format DVD players. Otherwise you could consider investing in a video format converter. Decent ones are expensive though.

Take care that whaterver DVD player you end up getting is multi-region as well or you're still stuffed...

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
w.e-coyote said:
Take care that whaterver DVD player you end up getting is multi-region as well or you're still stuffed...
Unless you find there's a 'hack code' available to unlock the machine being considered.

Regards

B

ben76

Audiophyte
Thanks. I guess I'm out of luck. It seems all the good dvd players here are ntsc only. I was hoping to get the Sony DVP-NS90V. Any idea if there are hacks for that player?

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
ben76 said:
I'm agnostic.

Just go all the way and admit your an atheist. You will feel better I promise.

BTW I could not find any PAL hack for the Sony DVP-NS90V.

Good Luck

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis