plasma tv question...

U

usher

Enthusiast
Have they fxed the burn in problem? Do they still have a shorter lifespan then leds? I was looking at getting led samsung 6300 but people are suggesting plasma.

U

usher

Enthusiast
Or what led/lcd should i get if no to plasma? Mainly watch blurays and football and gaming. people suggest vizio but i cant any place in canada that sell it

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
The question might be 'OBE' (Overtaken By Events) because with Panasonic dropping out of the plasma TV market, there are few new units to buy.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Short answer: Burn-in is a non-issue. Don't worry about it. Maybe, under extreme circumstances you should worry, but you really have to go out of your way these days.

That said, Panasonic Plasmas are getting hard to find, and the best Samsung Plasmas are pretty expensive (and the less expensive models aren't too good in non-light controlled rooms). So...options are getting a little thin. Unfortunate, because the Panny Plasmas were no-brainer recommendations.

I don't have any strong LCD/LED recommendations. I'm going to try to tough it out until OLED TVs are reasonably priced. Wish me luck.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
The first 200-300hrs of a plasma panel's life are the danger period. During this time the phosphors are settling into their operating parameters and consequently, most susceptible to permanent burn-in. During this initial period, try to watch video that is full screen 16:9 (without borders) and without static text on screen (like TV channel logo or video game HUD).

After the initial period, the danger is practically non existent with current gen plasma panel technology. In the rare case, you may see temporary burn-in, but nothing that the screen saver cycle cannot clear.

That said, if your viewing habits require extended periods watching content with static images, play it safe and get LED.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I have a Panasonic P50ST50. Used it for XBOX gaming from day one. Never had a burn in issue. Picture IMO is awesome, pure eye candy. Sadly :( Panasonic was the last great torch bearer of plasma, and they're gone. If you can find one online somewhere, I highly recommend. Not sure about any waranty issues if there did arise a need. As far as Samsung goes, IMO a top end UHD has an amazing picture. They also tout the ability to download new upgrades as they evolve. Don't know what your budget is, but if i couldn't get a Panasonic plasma, I just wouldn't go plasma. Happy hunting.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Just a quick thought. UHD might be great for movies, but does anyone really wanna watch Maury Povich in such upclose realism? Sheesh. :eek:

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I still have my 50" Pioneer Elite which I think I purchased in 04 or 05. No burn in problem, at least none that I can see. Still love that set. Will not replace it till it dies. Very high quality build unit.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I still have my 50" Pioneer Elite which I think I purchased in 04 or 05. No burn in problem, at least none that I can see. Still love that set. Will not replace it till it dies. Very high quality build unit.
I have the same thoughts in regards to my pioneer tvs, best panels I have seen any where period

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
In 2007 I bought a pro Panasonic plasma. Still chugging along at my friends place.

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
Same set. Same happy results. I have a Samsung LED upstairs but I watch my movies on my Pioneer. No burn in issues. No issues at all.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Samsung is still making plasma's aren't they? I have a 64D and love it.

P

Pepito

Enthusiast
Owns Pana Plasma, no issue. I remember reading in detail about burn in problem before buying it ... It was a non issue.
More important... Source of natural light (if any) in room... To avoid glare etc...
This should be the differentiator factor for a TV.

Buildsafire51

Buildsafire51

Enthusiast
I have a Panasonic GT50, and I love it - it's my second Plasma by Panasonic. I do not like the sharpness of LED pictures... I like the warmth of Plasma's. I use to worry about burn in, but with today's Plasma's I just stay vigilant as to not pause for to long, not keep black bars on the screen (although I probably could), and to use the scrolling bar function when it has been paused for to long.
I am sad to see the decline in new Plasma's available for sale, as I don't want to have to one day switch to LED, which currently, for many reasons, is not for me. I like the warmth and softness of Plasma, the smoothness...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis