Planning out New HT

B

boham1978

Enthusiast
Hello everyone. Thank you for having me. I am moving next month and am planning out a theater room in the new house and have figured out everything I plan on getting for the room except for the speakers. I am also doing a 2nd Zone for the pool so this is kind of a two part question. If you feel the items I have already chosen could be improved on, please say so. I am planning on a 5.1 system. I watch movies and I game (PS3, PS4, Wii, Xbox).

The room is 12x17X10 and built solely as a theater room. Please see attached picture of the room.

Items I have already specked out:
Projector: Benq W1070
Screen: 107"
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR676 (7.2-Ch, 2 zone)
Outdoor Speakers: Klipsh KHO-7

It's the 5.1 speakers I am having problems figuring out. I am trying to stick to around $1200 for the speakers. I do have some wiggle room.

The selection for the projector is solely based on what the current owner has and I sat down with him and seen the screen in operation. The selection for the receiver is mostly based on the inputs and the dual zone capability of the receiver so I can use for the two pool speakers.

My second question is how am i controlling the second zone while I am at the pool? Is this solely through an app installed on my phone? Is there some means of a second remote control that can control the second zone? How can the second zone be synched using bluetooth even though the receiver itself will be located in the movie room?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
At 1200 for a 5.1 speaker set, I would be looking at 5 RBH R5Bi bookshelf speakers, or 5 Philharmonic AAs, or maybe 5 of those Sony Core bookshelf speakers. For a subwoofer, I would be looking at trying to get a Hsu VTF-2 mk5 if possible. A VTF-1 wold also be good, as well a a SVS PB-1000 or Rythmik LV12r.

As for controlling zone 2 while in the pool, if your AVR has that feature, it will no doubt be controlled by a smartphone app. You will have to insure that whatever AVR you end up with can do that, however.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are receivers with built in wi-fi operations that can get music from your phone. This is similar to Sonos. While Bluetooth is excellent for near-device usage, it's useless for whole house capabilities. For that, you want to use something which can utilize wi-fi. This can be Airplay (Apple), Sonos (all brands), Chromecast (Android), or Denon has some products with it built in. Sonos is extremely robust with it's capabilities in adding this functionality, but it carries the price tag to go with it.

if that room is already setup, and your $1,200 needs to be for the speakers AND the receiver, then I might just focus on getting a decent 2.1 setup to start things off with and some cheap outdoor speakers.

So, a receiver like this will give you the capabilities for handling all your theater needs and some outdoor speakers with wi-fi connectivity through Heos...
https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx1400h

That leaves you about $700 for a decent 2.1 system which can then be upgraded to 5.1 over the years, or even 7.1 then run a separate amplifier for your outdoor speakers if you want to.

For outdoor speakers, just getting some basic audio out there can start at about $35...
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-LU43PB-Performance-Bookshelf/dp/B000A5S926/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1502823197&sr=1-4&keywords=outdoor+speakers&th=1

But, the sky is the limit on all of these things. It's a decent looking theater, and the projector that's in place is a very well respected entry level model. If you are set on getting 5.1 to start with, then you will be compromising the sound a bit, but there are tons of options out there. Still, a good subwoofer is critical and that tends to be a serious chunk of the budget.

B

boham1978

Enthusiast
At 1200 for a 5.1 speaker set, I would be looking at 5 RBH R5Bi bookshelf speakers, or 5 Philharmonic AAs, or maybe 5 of those Sony Core bookshelf speakers. For a subwoofer, I would be looking at trying to get a Hsu VTF-2 mk5 if possible. A VTF-1 wold also be good, as well a a SVS PB-1000 or Rythmik LV12r.

As for controlling zone 2 while in the pool, if your AVR has that feature, it will no doubt be controlled by a smartphone app. You will have to insure that whatever AVR you end up with can do that, however.
Thank you for your help. As far as the front two speakers, bookshelf speakers are just fine or would tower speakers make a difference? I noticed that for the RBH speakers, the center speaker is 6 ohm impedance while the bookshelves are 8 ohm. The tower speakers are also 6 ohms. Will this make a difference for my receiver?

B

boham1978

Enthusiast
There are receivers with built in wi-fi operations that can get music from your phone...
My budget is $1200 remaining for speakers. I am sticking to ~$3000 plus or minus for everything. The prior owner is not leaving anything so I am purchasing everything from scratch.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thank you for your help. As far as the front two speakers, bookshelf speakers are just fine or would tower speakers make a difference? I noticed that for the RBH speakers, the center speaker is 6 ohm impedance while the bookshelves are 8 ohm. The tower speakers are also 6 ohms. Will this make a difference for my receiver?
$1200 for the speakers?...I like the RBH R5bi option...just do 5 and use one as the CC...no need for a horizontal CC....great little speaker for the money...I think this model is being replaced soon and they wanted to close out the inventory...$250 a pr...I have a pair, it's way better than a $250 speaker imo.

That will leave you roughly $600 for a sub....for dedicated HT space, I think you're going to want 2 subs eventually, but to start...again pulling my own chain, I have a pair of the HSU VTF3 mk5 hp it's a great value. SVS, PSA, Rythmik all make great subs as well.

AVR...I probably would steer away from Onkyo, but as long as it can drive a 4 ohm load you will be okay.

Last edited:
B

boham1978

Enthusiast
AVR...I probably would steer away from Onkyo, but as long as it can driver a 4 ohm load you will be okay.
Will the Denon AVR-X1400H meet my needs? I need a receiver that can handle the gaming, movies, the R5bi speakers, two zones which will be functioning separately at any given time, and the second zone usable via remote (phone/tablet)?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For the retail price of the 1400 you could get this refurb 3300, which gives you more features, particularly Audyssey XT32 and pre-outs for amp options down the line...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
B

boham1978

Enthusiast
Thank you all for your help! I was sold on those RB5i speakers but I guess I lost my chance. I think I am going to go ahead with that refurbished AVR-X3300W with the Cambridge speakers zieglj01 recommended with the HSU VTF-2 MK5.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you all for your help! I was sold on those RB5i speakers but I guess I lost my chance. I think I am going to go ahead with that refurbished AVR-X3300W with the Cambridge speakers zieglj01 recommended with the HSU VTF-2 MK5.
Good call -- enjoy the adventure

2channel lover

I knew RBH was phasing out the Rb5i, bummer you missed that deal. Looks like you might be set with the Cambridge/HSU...imo on the AVR...the 3300 is a much better deal for several reasons.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Worth asking: What screen do you intend to get? Why the W1070 over the HT2050? What is your seating distance (eyes to screen)?

B

boham1978

Enthusiast
Worth asking: What screen do you intend to get? Why the W1070 over the HT2050? What is your seating distance (eyes to screen)?
I honestly have not even started on the screen. I chose the 1070 because of the bang for the buck I kept reading on multiple website forums and reviews. I plan on doing seating kind of like you see in the above picture. I honestly do not think I want the front chairs that close to a 107" screen so I will be working on moving back a bit.

B

boham1978

Enthusiast
WOW. I have never purchased anything from Accessories4Less before but when I replied with my "Thank you" message above that was the same time I placed the order for the speakers and the receiver. I literally just got an email stating the order has been shipped. Unheard of! Amazing!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
WOW. I have never purchased anything from Accessories4Less before but when I replied with my "Thank you" message above that was the same time I placed the order for the speakers and the receiver. I literally just got an email stating the order has been shipped. Unheard of! Amazing!
They are fast and a good company

2channel lover

LOL...most likely it's been assigned to the shipper already thus it could have a tracking number, etc, but it's probably still in the building!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis