Placement Options for PSB Synchrony One B Speakers

B

Bones99

Audiophyte
Greetings,

I'm in the starting phase of rebuilding my surround system, and just purchased a pair of PSB Synchrony One B Bookshelf speakers. The problem I now face is best placement. My room is 12ft x 28ft with a back door on the left side, Widescreen TV in the middle, and a fixed door on the right side. Ceiling is vaulted. I don't have enough room to go with speaker stands on the sides of the TV. Would I be better off placing the speakers above the TV and slightly off to the sides (about 6ft apart, 6ft above the floor, angles slightly downward), or about a foot forward in the corners, 12ft apart about 8.5ft above the floor angled more downward. I want to get the best imaging and would prefer to get this right on the first go-round, as my speaker mounts will require bolting into the walls, hitting a stud.

I'm replacing fronts on an existing, older JBL ProCinema 5.1 system, with the intention of replacing the entire set with the PSB Synchrony series as I can afford it. An updated AVR will follow, as the PSB speakers are 4 Ohm. I have looked into NAD and Anthem, but want to stay around $1000 or so with a simple, great sounding receiver that can handle 4 Ohm speakers. I'm not in need of a lot of bells and whistles (like bluetooth) that many brands are pushing these days. I just want to be sure whatever I get can handle the 4 Ohm impedance and will help the speakers sound great. The last thing I want to do is damage these PSB's. I plan to take it easy on the volume level until I replace my power source, which is an older 100wpc Technics SA-EX700. I know, hardly audiophile caliber, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Greetings,

I'm in the starting phase of rebuilding my surround system, and just purchased a pair of PSB Synchrony One B Bookshelf speakers. The problem I now face is best placement. My room is 12ft x 28ft with a back door on the left side, Widescreen TV in the middle, and a fixed door on the right side. Ceiling is vaulted. I don't have enough room to go with speaker stands on the sides of the TV. Would I be better off placing the speakers above the TV and slightly off to the sides (about 6ft apart, 6ft above the floor, angles slightly downward), or about a foot forward in the corners, 12ft apart about 8.5ft above the floor angled more downward. I want to get the best imaging and would prefer to get this right on the first go-round, as my speaker mounts will require bolting into the walls, hitting a stud.

I'm replacing fronts on an existing, older JBL ProCinema 5.1 system, with the intention of replacing the entire set with the PSB Synchrony series as I can afford it. An updated AVR will follow, as the PSB speakers are 4 Ohm. I have looked into NAD and Anthem, but want to stay around $1000 or so with a simple, great sounding receiver that can handle 4 Ohm speakers. I'm not in need of a lot of bells and whistles (like bluetooth) that many brands are pushing these days. I just want to be sure whatever I get can handle the 4 Ohm impedance and will help the speakers sound great. The last thing I want to do is damage these PSB's. I plan to take it easy on the volume level until I replace my power source, which is an older 100wpc Technics SA-EX700. I know, hardly audiophile caliber, but you gotta start somewhere, right?
I would try and rearrange the room if possible to accomodate them. The placement options you mentioned will NOT do these speakers justice. The placement will affect 99.9% of the sound compared to the affects that your old Technics receiver may have.

I have an old Technics 5.1 receiver as well and it used to drive the Image suite of speakers which are more 4ohms than 6 as specced. Used to becasue its been replaced by a Yamaha RX-V1800 (now old too) and is relegated to my secondary system. As long as you don't try to achieve ear bleeding levels, your old receiver will do OK except for the room correction facilities its missing because its out of date.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis