PJ distance from the ceiling

D

d-root

Audiophyte
New to AV. Odd shaped room that is 35 ft. long. Have room for 110" diag screen but because of the cathedral walls the bottom will only be 30" off the ground. Top of the screen would be 5 ft. from the ceiling. Does that mean the projector needs to have a 5 foot drop from the ceiling to be effective? Looking at Epson 6500 projector. Should I get a pj that has greater throw distance and put it on the back wall 35ft. from the screen? Appreciate your advice or thoughts. Other option is just stick 63" plasma on the wall and be done with it.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think it will be possible with such a long throw at 35 ft to get it to be as small as 110". I'd bet money on that. The ceiling mount with vertical shift should work just fine.

Ok play with this, no vertical shift calculator however, but I'm not worried about that.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_6500_UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I absolutely recommend just getting the PJ first. Fire it at the wall for a few days. Get the desired immersion just right, and you will also be sure of all working angles and such. Costs nothing more, just a little patience. In fact, it could potentially save you a lot of money.

Also, why not the 8500? The 6500 is just about superceded already.

Lastly, 30" is a good minimum to have center speaker placement, if below. Mine is closer than that, and I suffer acoustical issues for it. I treated the floor acoustically to help out.

Hope that helps.

D

d-root

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback. didn't know there was an 8500 yet but I'll check it out.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The projector itself will dictate how low it needs to be and this is often in the user's manual, but if not, the reviews are often VERY good at explaining how high/low a projector can be.

The lens shift, for example, of the 8500, allows you to place the center of the lens 22.7" above the top of a 100" diagonal screen and still hit the screen properly, without resorting to keystone correction.

(from: )
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-8500ub/tour.php#shift

Every projector is different, but you aren't likely to get much more lens shift or flexibility than the 8500UB will offer you.

NOTE: 8500UB expected to be released in November.

F

finishers

Junior Audioholic
Hey bmxtrix, can you please advice as to how long the ideal distance should be for a projector?

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey bmxtrix, can you please advice as to how long the ideal distance should be for a projector?
basicly. as close to the screen as reasonable possible. within the machines parameters .

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
basicly. as close to the screen as reasonable possible. within the machines parameters .
I'm pretty certain you are responding to a spammer. In any case, closer is not necessarily better, but it will be brighter. Farther for more contrast. I vote contrast, but I also have a cave. Some units will also increase contrast by using a bit of vertical shift, and I've read why before, but cannot possibly remember.

Also, PJs typically sacrifice when using the extremes of zoom and/or shift. Stay in the sweet spot, so to speak, while using the above advice to find the desired compromise.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The first rule of projector placement is that the projector must be a certain distance from any specific screen size. Two factors: Screen size, and the projector itself.

Distance from a specific screen size will be a range, and can be found using the excellent projection calculator tool here...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD20-projection-calculator-pro.htm

The range is determined by the proector in relation to the screen, and every projector tends to be a bit different - sometimes significantly different.

The Optoma HD20, with a 100" screen as the link above references, can have the lens to screen distance anywhere from 10' 11" to 13' 1" - Only about a 1 foot range, so placement needs to be careful, and anywhere in that range is good.

With longer zoom lenses, like that on the Panasonic AE4000, I would shoot to have the projector about 25% back from the closest position. So, if the potential was to put it 10-20 feet from the screen, I would like the lens to be about 12' 6" from the screen. This avoids the extremes of the zoom range which can present lens aberations which should not exist, but sometimes do.

Likewise, I try to avoid the full extents of the lens shift range as this potentially introduces anomalies as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis