Pirates of the Box Office, er, Carribean - SPOILERS!

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
WARNING!!!! SPOILERS!!!!!

Anyone been to see the new "Pirates" flick? I went this weekend. I was somewhat disappointed in the latest edition. I will have to admit that I really loved the first one, and had my expectations pretty high on this one.
To me, there was just too little swashbuckling (Arrrgh!) and maybe a little too much story. Also, can you say, sequal? A coworker said he heard an add on the radio saying they were looking for extras with missing appendages, etc for the next one.

SPOILERS!!!!

I thought most of the actors did a pretty good job and the (I'm guessing) CG of Davey Jones was great, but overall it was just a little too slow for me. The guy with the wooden eye (can't remember his name) was not nearly as funny as he was in the first movie. The interaction between him and his sidekick just didn't come across nearly as good. There are a lot of bits in there that carry over from the first one, so if you have not seen it in a while, I would suggest watching it first so you can appreciate them when they pop up.

One of the funny ones to me was the flask that Mr. Gibbs seemed to always have shows back up and the phrase "Bloody Pirates!"

The theatre I saw it in was in a small town in NC. It was pretty full, even for a matinee, complete with some whinning kids and talking. The pic was pretty good and was focused, but the sound was lousy. The mains sounded good, but the surrounds stunk. Overall, I would rate the movie about 7.5 with the first being a 10. If you liked the first, you probably will be OK on the second, but if you didn't especially like the first, well, I don't think I would bother, at least untill it comes out on DVD.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
The Dukester said:
WARNING!!!! SPOILERS!!!!!

Anyone been to see the new "Pirates" flick? I went this weekend. I was somewhat disappointed in the latest edition. I will have to admit that I really loved the first one, and had my expectations pretty high on this one.
To me, there was just too little swashbuckling (Arrrgh!) and maybe a little too much story. Also, can you say, sequal? A coworker said he heard an add on the radio saying they were looking for extras with missing appendages, etc for the next one.

SPOILERS!!!!

I thought most of the actors did a pretty good job and the (I'm guessing) CG of Davey Jones was great, but overall it was just a little too slow for me. The guy with the wooden eye (can't remember his name) was not nearly as funny as he was in the first movie. The interaction between him and his sidekick just didn't come across nearly as good. There are a lot of bits in there that carry over from the first one, so if you have not seen it in a while, I would suggest watching it first so you can appreciate them when they pop up.

One of the funny ones to me was the flask that Mr. Gibbs seemed to always have shows back up and the phrase "Bloody Pirates!"

The theatre I saw it in was in a small town in NC. It was pretty full, even for a matinee, complete with some whinning kids and talking. The pic was pretty good and was focused, but the sound was lousy. The mains sounded good, but the surrounds stunk. Overall, I would rate the movie about 7.5 with the first being a 10. If you liked the first, you probably will be OK on the second, but if you didn't especially like the first, well, I don't think I would bother, at least untill it comes out on DVD.
You don't have time for movies. Get back to work on the rereremodel! :D

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
rjbudz said:
You don't have time for movies. Get back to work on the rereremodel! :D
LOL You got that right! Went to see my best friend in Boone this weekend for a break. Wound up blowing a head gasket on the truck on the way home and then blowing my gasket. Biscuits. Not to mention the movie was a let down. I should have stayed home and worked:(

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The Dukester said:
LOL You got that right! Went to see my best friend in Boone this weekend for a break. Wound up blowing a head gasket on the truck on the way home and then blowing my gasket. Biscuits. Not to mention the movie was a let down. I should have stayed home and worked:(
Please say thats not sexual inuendo. :eek:

.... Back on topic, I haven't seen this yet, but I would like to.

SheepStar

majorloser

majorloser

Went last night.

It was better than the first, but the first was just "OK" with me. The picture and sound was great, though.

The third installment will follow shortly.

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
majorloser said:
Went last night.

It was better than the first, but the first was just "OK" with me. The picture and sound was great, though.

The third installment will follow shortly.
Congrats on becoming a mod! Glad to hear someone else has gone to see this. I really thought more folks would have been on this, seeing as how there aren't exactly 12 other flicks of this genre out there competing.

So, Major, what did you like better about this one than the other or dislike more about the other? I agree on the picture, but the sound, well, I have to consider the venue I watched it in. Maybe I'll have to go see it again in a better theater.

With the ending bating me, I can't wait for the third one.

majorloser

majorloser

The Dukester said:
Congrats on becoming a mod! Glad to hear someone else has gone to see this. I really thought more folks would have been on this, seeing as how there aren't exactly 12 other flicks of this genre out there competing.

So, Major, what did you like better about this one than the other or dislike more about the other? I agree on the picture, but the sound, well, I have to consider the venue I watched it in. Maybe I'll have to go see it again in a better theater.

With the ending bating me, I can't wait for the third one.
Well, to start off with, I don't like Johnny Depp's character. He's too flaky for a pirate IMO. The CG characters and the different sets were better in the new film. Davy Jones and crew were pretty realistic looking. I agree, the movie was slow at times.

I don't want to give out any spoiler, but the last scene basically lays the story out for part 3.

BTW- I read that Keith Richards is playing Johnny Depp's (Jack Sparrow) father in the third installment. Think of the CG needed to make him look good! (Must have had two blood infusions to handle that much filming.)

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
Saw the movie today. There were roughly ten of us in the theater. Love Monday afternoon matinees.

Enjoyed the movie. Thoroughly entertained. That is all I ask for. I think the Sparrow character was designed as that sort of character. You really have no idea what will come next from him either good or bad...rather interesting.

The end was such a set up for the next movie that it left too big a hole considering we will have to wait a year, more or less, for the next episode.

I liked the detail in the characters of Davey Jones' crew.
Interesting to see the "Commodore" in his current "situation" lol.
Insteresting to see the strength of personality of the "Guvner".

I really liked watching the relationship between "Boot Strap" and his son...very nicely done I felt...the whipping reminded me of the old movie "Roots".

Video and audio quality in my local theater was surprisingly high. It usually isn't.

Must say I even enjoyed the "previews". Looks like some decent movies coming to a theater near you in the near future.....................except for the movie "Snakes on the Plane"....WTF !!!
Man even the preview was dreadful. I would not buy it if it was in the Wally World "dollar" bin. What the hell are they thinking? If they are thinking at all. Holy crap what an awful movie that is going to be.

R

rr2465

Junior Audioholic
Jack Sparrow

majorloser said:
Well, to start off with, I don't like Johnny Depp's character. He's too flaky for a pirate IMO.
The thing I really liked about the first one is that while Sparrow always seems like "the worse Pirate in the world" - underneath it all he's got things figured out like you would think a pirate of his esteem should. In this second movie he doesn't seem to have a clue about things and he just comes off as a bit of a nut job. I still enjoyed the movie. I'd give it a B.

I agree with rr2465 - Jack didn't seem to have it together in this film... Also, what was with the romantic tie-in with Jack and Elizabeth? It made no sense to me. I don't remember her having any attraction for Jack?

R

rr2465

Junior Audioholic
Yeah..

Clint DeBoer said:
I agree with rr2465 - Jack didn't seem to have it together in this film... Also, what was with the romantic tie-in with Jack and Elizabeth? It made no sense to me. I don't remember her having any attraction for Jack?
It was confusing. I think she did it to trick Jack and get him handcuffed to the ship. But there is obviously some tension now between Elizabeth and Turner. It was too much of a setup for the 3rd movie. Now we've got to watch it to have our questions answered.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
rr2465 said:
It was too much of a setup for the 3rd movie. Now we've got to watch it to have our questions answered.
...And that's how they rope you in.:eek:

Like the third Matrix movie, I didn't like the second and was pretty sure I wouldn't like the third, yet I still saw it because I wanted to see how they finished the story. :(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis