Pioneer with Paradigm?

D

dloweman

Audioholic
Has anyone here heard the pioneer vsx1015 with a paradigm setup? I am in the market for a new receiver and around 700 canadian is my budget, so the 1015 fits right in. I have the paradigm monitor 7's, cc370, titans for surrounds with an hsu vtf2-mk2. If anyone has any thoughts on this match, let me know. Thanks alot.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
awesome receiver with plenty of power, wonderful speakers with decent spl levels, should be a marvelous combination, let me know how it works out for ya

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
really interested b/c thats the speaker system i'm looking at, kind of, going with ADP 170's for surround, and not sure if im going to go Monitor 7's or the Phantoms.. cant decide if its worth the money

D

dloweman

Audioholic
spiffy,

100% worth the money....i just did an a/b comparison between the two last weekend for my buddy....i had never heard the phantom....the 7's absolutely destroyed the phantom in every way, high end much clearer and pronounced, and the bass was much more solid...i was shocked with the difference...plus then you won't be worrying about upgrading anytime soon....on a side note, the cc370 that goes with the monitor line is absolutely amazing, i like it almost more than the 7's, just sounds amazing for multichannel audio. go for the monitor line, you won't regret it.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think Spiffy would love the Paradigms...if they were going to be only for him. Since they're going to be in a frat house environment, I'm thinking that he's having trouble putting something as nice as a Monitor series setup in a room filled with drunk people.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
yeah.... :( , my setup is enjoyed by alot of ppl at least 4 nights a week (gotta love college life, I always say, summer is work time, school is play time) I'm really considering ordering some Athena f2's, if they come anywhere close to the sound of Paradigm and put out more bass, thats prolly what i'll go with, maybe I'll get the paradigm center b/c of the better tweeters though, we'll see, cant order anything till I get to school that way I dont have to transport it, I cheated on the receiver, but it made my current system 10 times better so I wont complain

D

dloweman

Audioholic
Spiffy,

picked up the 1015 yesterday and hooked it up. still tweaking it alot, but am wondering, you said at -15 the reciever shakes the house and the neighbors can here, mine has to be up to like -03 to even be pretty loud, any ideas? using optical input, you? have to have it like -20 lower than my previous yamaha that i had. thanks

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
Regarding the volume

Don't be too worried about what level you have to have it on. If you did the MCACC set-up which is totally dependant on "your" particular room, the unit will adjust the loudness of particular speakers relative to "your" room. The bigger the room, I imagine the higher the level the receiver will specify for each speaker.
In my apartment the surround back speakers are less than 3 feet away from the listening position(where I actually placed the mic during set-up). It set those speakers levels in the negative range at almost every frequency, but the front which are all about 10 feet away it set the levels in the plus dB range for almost every frequency. The level changes the receiver set also affect how loud the receiver will play at a given numerical volume indicator. If your room in small and it sets a lot of the levels to negative then you will have to get to the really low numbers on the volume dial to get it loud. If you have a somewhat larger room and it sets all the levels to the positive side then you won't have to go as deep into the volume dial to get it to play loud.

As long as you can get it to play louder than you can stand it's ok. Otherwise there may be a problem. Remember, THX Select specifies that the receiver(...in conjunction with other THX certified equipment such as speakers, interconnects and music sources) should be able to consistantly deliver 105 dB in a room of up to 2000 sq.ft.

D

dloweman

Audioholic
spiffy,

was wondering how hot your reciever gets? i just watched about 45 minutes of a linkin park dvd (live in texas...GREAT) and had it turned to -6 which produced about 98db of volume and it was really hot to touch and you could smell it a bit when up close...any cause for concern? thanks...by the way, the 1015 with the monitor 7's sounds great.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I dunno, I finally listened to it in 2 channel today, and had Lucky Boys Confustion (alt. rock band) playing for about 30 min with it at 0, was curious as to how it heated up and it wasn't even warm. I also have it sitting out in the open ontop of a console tv since im living with the parents and have to make do without all of my equipment, there is also a fan in the room. The room stays about 70 degrees so that could be a factor too.

I'm sure it sounds amazing with the Monitor 7's, Ill have to wait awhile then upgrade to something like that. I'm almost positive im going to go with the Bic Acoustec HT-75, horn tweeters with rock music is incredible.

D

dloweman

Audioholic
nice to see you finally have it figured out after alot of testing and all of posts...enjoy man

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis