Pioneer vsx-522-k: No audio from Pre-Out

M

Mrlink

Audiophyte
Hello All, this is my first post here and I hope someone can help. I was reading this great forum trying to solve a problem with my receiver, but finally decided to post since I didn't find the solution yet.

I have pioneer vsx-522-k and I have it configured with 5.1 surround sound without a problem, it works as expected.

Today I wanted to connect the receiver's PRE-OUT to an external device (my Behringer XENYX 1202FX mix board, which outputs to a separate speaker, not part of the 5.1 surround system) but there is no sound. I unplugged the RCA cable from the receiver's PRE-OUT and plugged it into my phone (via an adapter) and music played via the board+speaker as expected, but when I plug it back into PRE-OUT there is no sound.

My receiver's PRE-OUT setting was on 'surround back', so I changed it to 'front height', but there is still no signal from PRE-OUT and I have no clue why. Can someone please help?

Here's the image of my receiver's back panel: https://goo.gl/images/b93ehz

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You have a subwoofer pre-out and surround back/front height pre-outs. Not a general audio mono pre-out (at least assume you want mono since you're using a single connector for this single speaker separate from your 5.1 system)?

If you are going to use the surround back/front height content for those channels it will depend on what your source has in the way of content for those channels or what sound mode you're matrixing for content for those channels. What source/sound mode were you using? It'll be limited content in any case.

The subwoofer pre-out will also be limited content as per your setup for the sub.

M

Mrlink

Audiophyte
lovinthehd, thank you for your response!

you said:
"... it will depend on what your source has in the way of content for those channels or what sound mode you're matrixing for content for those channels. "

At this point I'm just trying to direct sound from my receiver to the "board + speaker" system. If it doesn't sound satisfactory I will research further, but at this point I was at least expecting to hear something and I'm not, that's my main concern. So, I'm trying to understand, am I not using the PRE OUT output correctly? Do I need an additional amp to even hear anything? Like I said, when I connect my phone as a test source, the "board + speaker " system plays music as expected,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What are you using as a source/what sound mode? You may have nothing playing in that channel to hear....

M

Mrlink

Audiophyte
I see. Game as source and Extended Stereo as sound mode

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Manual says ext.stereo "Gives multichannel sound to a stereo source, using all of your speakers" so that part sounds like it should work. Do you have the SB speakers enabled per page 27 of the manual?

M

Mrlink

Audiophyte
I'm getting "no sb sp" when I press "receiver+5" ... hmm

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about page 31:

Surr. Back
– Select the number of surround back speakers
you have (one, two or none). Select LARGE if your surround
back speakers reproduce bass frequencies effectively.
Select SMALL to send bass frequencies to the other
speakers or subwoofer. If you didn’t connect surround back
speakers choose
NO
-
You can only adjust the Surr. Back setting when Pre Out Setting is set to Surr. Back
-
If you select one surround back speaker only, make sure
that additional amplifier is hooked up to the
PRE OUT L

M

Mrlink

Audiophyte
Yes, I had my surround back speakers turned off. I turned them on but still no difference, I don't hear anything from pre-amp output.

Could you please clarify something - how does pre amp output is expected to work? Is its signal strong enough to atleast drive headphones? Or do I still need a headphones amp to hear anything? I'm thinking that maybe I'm actually getting something out but the signal is weak and needs an amp to be heard (hence pre-amp?) I'm inexperienced with audio electronics so please forgive my lack of proper terminology

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might want to describe more of what you're doing with the pre-out signal (usually at least 1 volt for an avr's pre-out, sometimes more, although surround back is generally dialed back in level from something like a left or right main channel signal). Your mixer is connected to an amp then the speaker, right? Or are you just using headphones on the mixer? Details of your gear always help, specific make/model of each and exactly how connected.

Basically IMO you're using the wrong tool for the job in terms of the pre-outs on this receiver (in that they are only for surround backs)....normally you'd use at least the L/R main pre-outs which you don't have.

Overall, just why are you doing this?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis