Pioneer VSX-21THX Review

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
Below is the review i listed on Amazon (where i purchased the receiver).

This was my first receiver that I have ever purchased and am very pleased overall (4 months of ownership). Set up was a breeze and the auto calibration (MCACC) works like a charm. Originally I had cheap speakers hooked up to the receiver (still shopping for quality speakers) and the sound out of them was horrible… Well, I ran the auto calibration and it made my cheap speakers sound spectacular!!! I couldn’t believe what I was hearing and was starting to wonder if spending hundreds on speakers was going to be worth it. I have listed some pros and cons below. The only reason I did not give the receiver 5 stars is due to the cons that I listed which seem a lot because I tried to explain them in detail.

System:
Receiver-Pioneer VSX-21TXH, Monitor-Samsung LN46B-530, Center Channel –Polk TSi CS20, Fronts-Polk TSi 200s, Surrounds-Polk Monitor-30s, Subwoofer-? (Came from a computer system 300-W, 8in. woofer)

Pros
1. The auto MCACC calibration (microphone included!)
2. Price!! Buy buying from a non-authorized Pioneer Elite dealer off of Amazon I paid half the price my friend paid when buying the VSx-23 receiver from best-buy. The dealer also had a warranty and good customer service.
3. Being able to assign inputs
4. The amplifier power (Cranked up the volume in a 5.1 channel setup to uncomfortable sound levels and did not notice any distortion
5. Looks, I like the glossy front….well as long as it is kept clean, smudges are very noticeable
6. FM tuner works great!!! All stations come in very clearly. I know that some of the receivers I had listened to in the past need huge outdoor antennas to pick up stations. I just used the antenna that came with the receiver (single wire) and now get all stations in my area
7. Video up scaling. Hugh difference from using the TVs up scaling.
8. Inputs, Had all the inputs I needed excluding the third component input (Wii, PS2, DVD, VHS, HTPC, iPOD)
Cons

1. I wish it had one more component input (I still have to use my component switch)
2. Remote is a little hard to use due to the location of the buttons
3. When trying to change audio parameters when listening to a source the silver round button stops working after one push. This problem is only intermittent and has been noticed when multiple sources are selected. If your trying to change the channel level of a speaker you have to push the buttons (receiver then audio parameter then the circular Arrows) This must be done for each arrow button push. Switching to another source corrects this problem but then you can’t tell how your modifications effect the sound in real-time.
4. Cheap speaker binding posts. Not really a major con but before I had purchased banana plugs for my speakers I used the post and screwed them down. I thought I was going to break them.
5. I wish the connection to the computer was a USB instead of a RS-232. I have still not connected it to my HTPC but will once I get the right cable
6. TV control seems to only work when I push the TV source button on the remote even though the remote has a region of buttons dedicated to the TV specifically (Was told that I probably just have the incorrect TV code in my remote but I still haven’t gotten to correct)
7. No HD Radio, I didn’t know how much I would miss this feature until I bought a receiver and now listen to the radio hours each day.
8. Receiver has to be reset when using my Home Theater PC that is connected through a HDMI cable. The receiver does not send the signal to the monitor after I turn on the PC until after I switch the receiver to HDMI source the turn off the receiver and then turn it back on. If I don’t do this then the receiver just says its looking for a source. This could be an issue with my video card (ATI4650) but I’m not sure.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the review, Jon! How about showing off those great pictures of the insides?

2. Price!! Buy buying from a non-authorized Pioneer Elite dealer off of Amazon I paid half the price my friend paid when buying the VSx-23 receiver from best-buy. The dealer also had a warranty and good customer service.
I got two words for you, and they're not "Happy Birthday." :mad: :p :D

...before I had purchased banana plugs for my speakers...
Were they expensive? :D

J

Jon5783

Audioholic Intern
It came with the blue tape and i didn't get a chance to take it off. These pictures were taken about 10-minutes after I opened the box... I think this voids any warranty I may have had but whatever.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It came with the blue tape and i didn't get a chance to take it off. These pictures were taken about 10-minutes after I opened the box... I think this voids any warranty I may have had but whatever.
I know, man. I was just giving you a hard time. :) My VSX-23 still has the blue tape on the top. :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis