Pioneer VSX-1020-K Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The new Pioneer VSX-1020-K has all the functionality of the $399 VSX-920-K with the addition of a GUI, on-screen album art, a powered Zone 2, improved MCACC, Internet radio, iPhone control, and Sound Retriever AIR. Within that list there are functional improvements, control upgrades, and feature additions that should have a wide appeal. We think that the new VSX-1020-K will be one of the hottest sellers for Pioneer.

Discuss "Pioneer VSX-1020-K Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Maybe someone can explain why receiver manufacturers are not putting 7.1 preouts on their models with the lower end amplifiers inside. You'd think that would be the logical course to take to circumvent a weakness in them. If a guy wants 7.1 preouts they have to spend the 200 dollars more for the 1120-K, a receiver with higher quality amps than the 1020-k:confused:, which makes using separate amp/s nearly pointless.

I guess $749 is better than a couple grand you might spend on a prepro, but I'd be happy to lose ipod features on the 1020-k for a model with preouts at the same price.

F

Funboy

Audioholic Intern
I have the exact same question... Seems like no one can explain it.

W

winncity

Audiophyte
"Youtube and more"

Amazon has posted this is slightly confusing nugget on their 1020K product page. The owner's manual only covers programming internet radio stations by url. Does this suggest there is some kind of planned YouTube browser? Or more general web browsing capabilities? In that case, what about hulu, Netflix and other video sites? What about streaming iTunes from a PC or Mac over LAN? I was planning to use Airport Express and TOSLINK, but porting directly to the router would be simpler.

In addition, the 1020K manual covers adding internet radio stations from a computer on an interface available by browser at the unit's IP address. How is this different from PC control offered in the 1120?

K

kdekok

Audiophyte
Wrong featureset?

All the features you're mentioning for the VSX-1020 as to be the first to have them in this line, are already present on the VSX-920!

Things like ethernet connectivity and internet streaming, iphone control, ipod connection, zone 2 and more... Not sure about the GUI vs Text OSD though, but since the 920, 1020 and 1025 share a users manual, i guess that's also the same.

As far as i can see the only difference is the number of HDMI inputs (6 vs 4)...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis