Pioneer VSX-1018AH - Lightening Strike - Lost HDMI Board? what to do....

F

Flightsport

Audiophyte
After a violent thunderstorm which produced enough lightening/EMP to take out my Plasma TV, a GFI receptacle and the garage door opener that was on it, it seems also partialy destroyed my Home Theater amplifier, the Pioneer VSX-1018AH. I have had all other components repaired except this one and I'm wondering what to do. Here's what I know: I can still run FM audio to the speakers but I cannot hear any component that passes through an HDMI terminal. To further trouble shoot, I also connected my CATV box via red, white and yellow patch cables which produced a low def picture (as expected) and audio. So it seems the HDMI terminals/board are fried. Correct?

My question: There doesn't seem to be parts available for this Amp, at least not that are affordable. I found the HDMI board on Pioneer's website but the cost was almost as much as a new amplifier. Is there anything I'm missing? Is this thing just a paper weight now? Do I heave it? Try to sell it for parts? Is it more fixable than I realize?

Question 2. If it isn't worth fixing the pioneer, than what do I buy? I consider myself a techie of average wit and savvy with an appreciation for high quality sound. Do I buy a model with built in blue-tooth, airplay and streaming media built in? Or do I buy one without and opt for an additional Roku or Airplay component? Here is my list of demands:

1. Price: Somewhere around $500, give or take a $100
2. A SIMPLE remote. My god, can't they give us a remote that's easy to use!? I don't want all that other crap that you never use!
3. Blue tooth for IOS connectivity (pandora is top priority), it seems running pandora from the IPad would be nice.
4. At least 5.1 channels (currently running DefTech 5.1 system and love it, or lovED it). Do I need 7.1?
5. At least 4 HDMI inputs (CATV, PS3, Airplay, ?), do I need/want more?

Is this too much to ask? Love to hear suggestions on what to do with the old Pioneer or what I should buy in it's place. Thanks!

Mike

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Airplay is generally handled through Wi-Fi, not Bluetooth, but I would plan on scrapping the receiver. If you've involved your home insurance on the other items, make sure they cover this as well. Certainly they should and I've worked with insurance companies before for near identical situations and have replaced A/V receivers with new models since the price of repair is typically as much as a comparable model would be brand new.

I would not recommend a built in airplay feature, though many receivers have it, AppleTV delivers better quality, and video, and tends to get better firmware upgrades which are directed at the exact product you are using. 99 bucks, why not just get it?

The remote is something you are SOL on. If you want a good remote, go buy a good remote. A/V receivers don't come with them and really never had. But, to your good fortune, there are a ton of really good remotes out there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis