Pioneer VSX 1015TX review

I typically don't directly criticize other websites, but there is nothing in that review that indicates they even took it out of the box.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Clint DeBoer said:
I typically don't directly criticize other websites, but there is nothing in that review that indicates they even took it out of the box.
It is an awful review, but there's not much else out there on the 1015. They seemed to like it over a Sony 698. Now there's a defining moment of truth. I can just see the senior editors now: "Hey guys, don't go too far out on a limb with comparisons, OK?" :rolleyes:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What testing exactly did they do besides listen to one or two DVDs and one SACD? Did I miss it or did they not list any of the gear used with it, connections (obviously analog for SACD), player(s), speakers, room, etc...

They also recommended the 915 over the 1015...

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
j_garcia said:
They also recommended the 915 over the 1015...
Well they don't actually recommend the 915 over the 1015.
If you like the 1015TX but want to save some dough, check out Pioneer's step-down model, the VSX-915. You'll save $175 on the list price and still get the excellent MCACC autosetup, but the 915 lacks its big brother's THX certification and component-video upconversion.
However it was weak review, I agree. Having this thing for 2 months now, I am certain it will make almost any speaker setup sound good. Good speakers sound great, crappy speakers sound good. Basically for the seperate 5 band EQ for each channel. I will pop mine open here in the next few days, and will post pics.

BTW, Buck. I have played around with the EQ more, and have gotten an even flatter response than before-All the way across the frequencies.

Also if you look at c-net, you will see that this receiver is ranked for a tie at third. And this is the cheapest for the third place. The 3805 is ranked 1 but is more than the 1015, 2nd place to the super expensive (3-4,000) NR1000

However that is saying alot for the 3805 ;) But since jaxvon just got his 1015 for 323.00 that is about the bargain of the year...

The one thing that the 3805 does not compare is the auto setup, however I think Pioneer has nailed that one... Being the best in the business. And I can say, it is spot on! Perfect distance, level, delay settings with the MCACC. However, most will still want to tweak. But it does a great job, for those that don't.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Clint DeBoer said:
I know what your talking about, but I found this kinda funny.. :D Just messing with you Clint. ;)
The onscreen menus and navigation are more logical than most, and we felt right at home just a few minutes after opening the box and hooking up the necessary cables.
That is unless (I highly doubt) they left it in the box to connect all the cables.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
brian32672 said:
Well they don't actually recommend the 915 over the 1015.
Sounded like a pretty strong recommendation, though it didn't fully weigh the differences. Their comment suggests you will get most of what you get with the 1015 for almost $200 less.

I wasn't all that impressed with the 1014. The analog section left a lot to be desired and the amps were definitely not putting out what they claimed. When I pushed it to it's limits with just two easy to drive bookshelf speakers, distortion was clearly present at a point where my integrated (95x2) is still perfectly clear. I haven't heard the 1015 yet though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis