Pioneer SX950 Speaker Wire Question

R

rsdodson

Audiophyte
I recently picked up a Pioneer SX950 receiver and a new set of Vandersteen Model 2Ce Signature II speakers. The speakers use a bi-wire set-up, but I find that the 12 gauge wire is too large to insert into the speaker wire ports on the receiver. Does anyone know what the maximum gauge is for this receiver, or if there are other alternatives with the 12 gauge wire I am using? I am able to get sound from the speakers, but they will occasionally give out (stop playing) or emit a static sound--I'm pretty sure this is due to forcing the large wire into the ports. Thanks for any advice.

R

rsdodson

Audiophyte
Thanks for the forum tip and your advice--is there a way to tell by looking at the back of the receiver what gauge wire it can handle?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Does your receiver look like this? Pioneer SX-950 | Owners/Service Manuals, Schematics, Free Download, Reviews | HiFi Engine

Those speaker wire connectors in the photo of the back of that receiver look like fitting in 12 gauge wire would be difficult. Are trying to fit two 12 gauge wires into one hole so you can bi wire? As a guess, I'd try 16 gauge or smaller.

Make sure you find a narrower gauge wire that attaches to the receiver securely. If a fat wire pops loose, it could create a short across positive and negative posts and damage the amplifier section of your receiver.

When those receivers were made, no one worried much about wire gauge. I'd worry more if the receiver continues to cut out once you get smaller gauge wire to attach securely, as that might be a sign that your speakers are low enough in impedance to overload the amp.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The gauge is determined by length of speaker wire and nominal impedance rating of the speaker. The binding posts (spring clips in your case) in the receiver or speaker have no bearing.

Based on measurements from this review, http://www.stereophile.com/content/vandersteen-2ce-signature-loudspeaker-measurements, I'll consider the nominal impedance a conservative 4.5 Ohms.

And assuming your speaker wire runs are less than 25ft, you can safely use 16 gauge speaker wire.

Much more detail in the writeup here, http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

It is imperative that the speaker wire be securely seated at the attachment points. Even a single stay stand shorting the amplifier terminals will instantly cause it to overload and blow. I strongly advise you to either tin the lose stands or use a cable terminator. These will work on the amp side spring clips http://www.parts-express.com/cat/speaker-pin-spade-terminals/1891 , and these on the speaker side screw terminals http://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=spade connector&sitesearch=true .

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… It is imperative that the speaker wire be securely seated at the attachment points. Even a single stay stand shorting the amplifier terminals will instantly cause it to overload and blow. I strongly advise you to either tin the lose stands or use a cable terminator. These will work on the amp side spring clips Speaker Pin / Spade Terminals in the Connectors & Adapters Department at Parts Express | 1891 , and these on the speaker side screw terminals spade connector - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free. .
Good point. I didn't think of the connection of the back of the speakers. If the OP's Vandy's are similar to the ones my brother has, I know for certain that these are the largest terminals that fit the screw posts.

Gold Ring 10 AWG 1/4" 2 Pair | 095-666

R

rsdodson

Audiophyte
Thanks for everyone's advice--much appreciated, and very helpful.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for the forum tip and your advice--is there a way to tell by looking at the back of the receiver what gauge wire it can handle?
You can start by assuming the speaker wire commonly used when that receiver was new, was nowhere as large as what people use now. At the time, just about everyone sold or gave 18 ga wire with most of the equipment from mainstream equipment. If the wire needed to be longer than about 30', it was usually 16 ga, but NOBODY was using 12 ga for anything other than high power amplifiers until companies like Munster Cable came along. If your speakers are less than 40' from your receiver, 12 ga is really overkill. If you have a wire stripper that has holes for different gauges or wire, use the 14 ga hole- the loss of a few strands of wire won't make any difference in the sound.

FYI- that receiver WAS NOT made for speakers like the Vandersteens and if you look at the area around the speaker terminals, you'll see that it clearly states 8 Ohm speakers are to be used. Also, the speaker selector switch puts A in series with B, which keeps the amplifier from overheating when low impedance speakers are used. If you like your music loud, either put a fan on the receiver to cool it or use a different amplifier. Fortunately, your receiver has preamp output and power amp input jacks.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis