jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I see it like an exam question. You have to pick some speakers based on the limited information you have.

Now if all these speakers were measured by John Atkinson @ Stereophile, and I choose to completely ignore all the other measurements, then I see your point.

So basically, all I'm saying is that BASED on the limited information I have, this is my limited conclusion as to which speaker is better.
I understand that, but that's not what you say. You say "oh, well this speaker measures better than this speaker."

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not a speaker designer ..however, the only other measurement besides frequency response at 0, 15, 30 and 45 degrees off horizontal center and +/15 degrees off verticle center that I may be concerned with is linearity but thats it. Impedance and large phase angles are nice to know as well so that you can choose an amplifier that will meet the demands of the loudspeaker but this doesn't effect how they sound.

If I were to choose a loudspeaker without the oppertunity to audition, I would choose one where I can see the frequency response curves over word of mouth of audiophiles whom mostly have golden ears and ignore all principles of science.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...of audiophiles whom mostly have golden ears and ignore all principles of science.
More like pyrite ears and too much gold in their pockets. :p

(Nothing against them, though - they have the means to buy the speakers that make them happy. Good for them.)

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
I bought 2 pairs of the towers, and a center. I love the "neutral" sound of these speakers. Bought them at BB. You may feel otherwise though. Recommended.

Hello,
Anybody using the Pioneer Sp-BS41LR bookshelves or the SP-FS51-LR towers and SP-C21 center. There is a big thread @ AVS with excellent and positive reviews with this speakers, prices: BS41 $149 the pair, FS51 $200 and C21 center $80. I am very tempted to try these out, they could be had direct from Pioneer for 30 day guarantee and free shipping. I'm right on the fence of getting the Ascends 340SE's, three upfront and 170's for surrounds. After spending hours reading reviews of the Pioneer's on Stereophile and Home Theater and AVS I don't know what to do. I am open for suggestion and anybody's thoughts on both the Pioneers and the Ascends. Thanks guys, I look forward to your replies.
PS. I can get the PSB B6's and C5 center for $736 delivered, obviously I'm looking to get monitors. PLEASE HELP.
Jeff

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

(Nothing against them, though - they have the means to buy the speakers that make them happy. Good for them.)
Wow...thats credit... I thought it was just wax build-up..same color and all :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Keep the economy going baby!:D

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
I love my setup. The key in general: to listen for awhile (to any speaker) and see how they sound an hour later. Most of the "competition" in BB are pretty bright so first impression may change after a longer session.

These speakers are definitely neutral sounding. Not everyone's cop of tea.

I listened to them and wasn't impressed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis