Pioneer receiver problems, please read/help

T

Tooloud/tooold

Audiophyte
I own a Pioneer VSX-604S receiver, purchased in the fall of 1995. This thing has seen moderate use and has been a complete workhorse for me for the past 15 years. I recently tried to watch a DVD and after a few minutes of play, I get an "Overload" message on the DRO, and it automatically shuts off. I have had the same setup here for years, and this just started happening. Nothing in the owner's manual on how to deal with this. All connections between dvd player/receiver/speakers and tight and clean. I get that this is a "fail safe", for lack of a better term that the receiver shuts itself off when it's overloaded with power and is too hot, but when it does this, it's room temperature and shows no signs of overheating. Again, I understand that this unit is very old and is on it's last legs, but does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening and how to rectify it? Thanks in advance...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I own a Pioneer VSX-604S receiver, purchased in the fall of 1995. This thing has seen moderate use and has been a complete workhorse for me for the past 15 years. I recently tried to watch a DVD and after a few minutes of play, I get an "Overload" message on the DRO, and it automatically shuts off. I have had the same setup here for years, and this just started happening. Nothing in the owner's manual on how to deal with this. All connections between dvd player/receiver/speakers and tight and clean. I get that this is a "fail safe", for lack of a better term that the receiver shuts itself off when it's overloaded with power and is too hot, but when it does this, it's room temperature and shows no signs of overheating. Again, I understand that this unit is very old and is on it's last legs, but does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening and how to rectify it? Thanks in advance...
No clue without putting it on the test bench. Most likely it has power supply or output device issues.

selden

selden

Audioholic
Check the speaker cables from end to end.

Going into protect mode usually is caused by shorts in the speaker cables. Strands of the +/- cables might be intermittently coming into contact with one another at the connectors or a pet or rodent might have chewed on the cables.

Another cause is trying to drive speakers which have a lower impedance than the receiver's amplifier section is designed to drive. It might work OK at a low sound level, but turning up the volume will make the receiver to go into protect mode. This can be compensated for by using appropriate external amplifiers.

Or, of course, the receiver's amp section might simply be failing, perhaps due to overheating for too long.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
If that model has a way to do a reset I would try it. My Elite did the same thing and after I reset it the problem dissapeared. If you can reset it don't forget to write down your settings like inputs and such.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
No clue without putting it on the test bench. Most likely it has power supply or output device issues.
Could likely be a capacitor faiiure in the areas TLS has indicated. I would take it to a reputable service store.

Good Luck!,

Forest Man

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I'd check out the speaker wires looking for a short and if I found nothing I'd just save up to replace it. It'll cost more than it's worth to fix.

goaliet1

Audiophyte
Pioneer VSX-26TX Receiver reset?

Would you happen to know how to reset a VSX-26TX receiver to factory default? I have been from one end of the internet to the other trying to find out if this is even possible. Anything you can let me know would be a great help.
Thanks!

T.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Would you happen to know how to reset a VSX-26TX receiver to factory default? I have been from one end of the internet to the other trying to find out if this is even possible. Anything you can let me know would be a great help.
Thanks!

T.
There is nothing about a reset in the manual. It seems a lot of those receivers have given trouble. We had an issue with the VSX-816 due to poor circuit boards and solder.

I would not sink any money into a receiver that is 15 years old. It is time to update.

A

Al D

Audiophyte

A

Al D

Audiophyte
Hi,I realize that your post is very old.About 14 years old.But in replying,IMHO,instead of wasting so many hours trying to repair the 604S,or any VSX receiver,Isn't it more logical to simply set it aside and buy another good used one on ebay at a steal of a deal kind of auction?And keep the fixer upper one for parts.These come a dime a dozen now days and they are so old.If you really want a great receiver,look for the silver faced Pioneers from the mid 70's to 1980.But you guys already know that.
The VSX line of receivers are very good,they have to be to carry the Pioneer logo.But economically speaking,it's not worth the cost to repair them,just go buy another one since they are so plentiful on the internet.But,it's just my opinion from one Vietnam Veteran to another,brother.
On the other hand,if it's a very minor repair like a blown fuse or a relay,etc,then surely go ahead and repair it.This is my first post on audioholics.Have a great week everyone.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis