Pioneer, Panasonic AV Receivers Opinions

D

Defshep

Enthusiast
I know everyone suggests Onkyo, Yamaha, blah,blah,blah. But if using home theater for mostly movies, don't receivers like Panasonic's SAHE 100, 200 models and Pioneer's VSX-D914, 912, 1014 give you more bang for the buck? I haven't seen any more quality issues with these over higher end models. They also feature more connectivity. Comments?

D

Defshep

Enthusiast
Thank you. I've been there. I think I've decided on a Pioneer VSX-D912 for $220 at a local shop. Specs, reviews seem pretty good.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I had a Panasonic SAHE 200. Sold it to a friend and got the Denon 3805. It wasn't bad for entry level. You can not add an amp to it as it has not pre outs. It is not all that powerful. I bought Polk RTi12's and they were severely underpowered with the Panny. I used to be a diehard Technics Panasonic guy. i really believe Panasonic is the best name in electronics. I have Panny phones, TV, microwave, vacuum cleaner... Then I discovered chat rooms like this. I used to look at companies like Denon and say you pay for the name. That may be true to a point, but a receiver is the brains of your HT and the 3805 has won all kinds of awards and in the past, you had to pay 5 times the cash to get what you get in that unit today. It is truly a great buy. The Panny 200 is not that bad. But, there is a new Panny i seem to recall seeing in a post on this site that has tons of features and great specs..and cheap too!

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Defshep

found the Panasonic model #'s for you..

XR50 and XR70. Check them out. From a quick glance, seem to have most features the Denons have..

good luck

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
Interesting that you asked about both Pioneer and Panasonic.

I am on my second Pioneer receiver (VSX-1014). I really (REALLY !) liked both my Pioneer receivers (first one was a 1999 model), but do not consider myself a "pioneer only" guy, it just so happened that these two offered the right price and the right features for me.

HOWEVER, I am seriously considering getting a Panasonic XR50 or XR70 for my Dad for his birthday and Fathers day. (The JVC digital receiver is also a serious consideration).

Reason being, is that the light weight, combined with a digital amp, combined with a "simpler" configuration, might be more in tune with my Dad's needs, not me, who wants to tweak each and every detail.

I am still 4 months away from a decision, but I like both the Pioneer for me, and the Panasonic for my Dad.

D

Defshep

Enthusiast
Thanks, BuddTX. Yeah, it seems that most folks are happy with Pioneer for reliability. Just curious, what do you think of your 1014? It seems to be getting alot of hype online. I was looking at that one, but I'm not sure if THX is worth the extra cash over the 912.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I wouldnt get something because of THX. I there was something i liked and it had it,fine.

D

Defshep

Enthusiast
That's good advice, shokhead. After the discussion that erupted over THX earlier, it sounds like personal choice. My only worry is no up-conversion or Prologic 2x. The 912 does have hd component connections. I'm not sure if 2x is just...nevermind! That could open another whole can of worms! Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis