Pioneer ELITE won't play subwoofer

heem6

heem6

Enthusiast
Hi,

Hoping some Pioneer owners can help me out. Just got a new Klipsch sub and my Pioneer ELITE VSX-52TX won't send any signal to it. Didn't have a sub previously. I have played with the menu settings extensively, and my best guess is that it's a receiver problem, because when I go to Manual Speaker settings, it should give me an Subwoofer option to turn it OFF or PLUS, and I don't have that. It should also have an SB setting, and that is not displayed either, only Front, Center and Surround. Also, I'm using a single RCA cable, the Pioneer only has one RCA jack out to the sub, but the sub has jacks for L and R RCA input. Don't know if that's causing an issue or not, still seems the receiver should be listing the sub in the speaker settings.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Go into the OSD:
1. Go to the Speaker menu
2. Set the Front speakers to Small

This will force ON Subwoofer Out. There are some other optimization settings but 1st lets get the Subwoofer working. Post back once the Subwoofer is working.

Just my $0.02... ;)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Hi, I do already have front speakers set to SMALL.
Subwoofer Out should be ON. The 1st thing I do when an AVR acts funny is to RESET it. Here is how U do it.
  • Switch the receiver into standby. While holding down the TONE button, press and hold the STANDBY/ON button for about three seconds.
  • When you see RESET? appears in the display, press ENTER.
  • OK? shows in the display.
  • Press SYSTEM SETUP to confirm.
  • OK appears in the display to indicate that the receiver has been reset to the factory default settings.

Now connect the Subwoofer cable (Sub Out from AVR to L input on the Sub) Set the subwoofer level to 50% rotation, Power ON, X-Over control all the way clockwise, Phase control 0 degrees. Power up the AVR and rerun MAAC, note that when a RESET is done it erases all inputs for surround settings and station presets. Just like when U took out of the box new.

Just my $0.02... ;)

heem6

heem6

Enthusiast
Thanks for the guidance. Tried holding down the Tone button while pressing the Standby/On for 3 seconds and ... the receiver won't go into Reset mode.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
It is in Stereo/Direct mode. Is that causing a problem?
I don't know anything about your Pioneer unit specifically, but direct mode is considered a "pure" mode on most AVRs. The sub will not get a signal in that mode.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I don't know anything about your Pioneer unit specifically, but direct mode is considered a "pure" mode on most AVRs. The sub will not get a signal in that mode.
Correct.. Switch into a surround mode..

Just my $0.02... ;)

heem6

heem6

Enthusiast
I believe I tried this last night but I will switch to surround mode when I get home tonight and report back. Thanks to everyone for the tips so far!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your avr manual should also confirm in what modes your subwoofer would be active....

heem6

heem6

Enthusiast
Well, I've tried in Advanced Surround, Auto Surround, TV Surround Mode and Expanded mode, and I still only get speaker options for Front, Center and Surround - no Subwoofer. I have the Surround speakers set for Small, FWIW.

I did finally get it to reset. You have to press the Standby button first, and then the Tone button (even though it says Tone button first). It didn't reset the receiver settings though, I can still see the Treble settings I punched in.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I've tried in Advanced Surround, Auto Surround, TV Surround Mode and Expanded mode, and I still only get speaker options for Front, Center and Surround - no Subwoofer. I have the Surround speakers set for Small, FWIW.

I did finally get it to reset. You have to press the Standby button first, and then the Tone button (even though it says Tone button first). It didn't reset the receiver settings though, I can still see the Treble settings I punched in.
What happens when you set mains to small?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Mains need to be set to small, sub to yes
Or
Mains set to large, sub to plus

heem6

heem6

Enthusiast
That's the problem. Fronts are set to SMALL, and my menu won't display the subwoofer under the Speaker Settings.

G

genvirt

Audiophyte
Did You check receiver "Speaker System" settings? I mean which set up is chosen? 5.1.2/7.2.2 and so on. Check that when You setting up all speakers should be connected and sub should be connected to Line output.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Did You check receiver "Speaker System" settings? I mean which set up is chosen? 5.1.2/7.2.2 and so on. Check that when You setting up all speakers should be connected and sub should be connected to Line output.
U are confusing things.. The 52TX has multiple Line Outs, the Subwoofer should be connected to Pre-Out/Subwoofer...

Just my $0.02... ;)

heem6

heem6

Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure I have it connected to this RCA jack, but I'll double check tonight.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I'm pretty sure I have it connected to this RCA jack, but I'll double check tonight.

That is correct.... Make sure the subwoofer is functioning properly, when the subwoofer is plugged in, ON, level set to 50%, disconnect the RCA cable from the AVR and touch the RCA plug that goes into the subwoofer. By touching this U should hear a noise through the subwoofer if is functioning.

Just my $0.02... ;)

heem6

heem6

Enthusiast
Okay, I disconnected while running as you said, touched the end of the RCA plug and did hear the noise in the subwoofer. Turned off the amp and sub, plugged back in and ... still no sound from the sub.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis