Pioneer DVD vs Yamaha

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
:) Hello guys...anyone can tell me about the Pioneer 578a video quality. This thing is a $139 DVD player so i know it ain't a Denon 3910. Is it better than what I have? A Panasonic f85? I don't want to fork out big money until i get a HDMI compatible TV and then I will match a DVD player, maybe wait for HD or until the Denon 3910 comes down in price. I can get a Denon 2810 for $800 Canadian, or a Yamaha 1500 for $500.

I also notice the Denon 2810 has a crossover point of 80hz while the 3910 is adjustable. Any info on the Pioneer or Yamaha units as to bass management? Is this important?

I looked around town today for SACD and DVD audio and I would not upgrade just yet to play these formats as the titles available did not get me very excited. I just want to know, for regular DVD's and regular CD's, will I notice much difference changing to another DVD player?

What do you guys recommend? The Pioneer is cheap, but does it play cheap?

Thanks!!!! :)

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
I have several DVD players and I can tell you the cheapest Pioneers are not that great. I think someone else may even build the cheapest models for them. I have a DV-C503 5 disc player and a DVD/LD player and DVD Rom and DVD Burner drives all from pioneer. None of the Pioneer players have EVER had any problems playing any DVD. The 2 Toshiba players I own will not even play half the discs I own without locking up or not recognizing the discs. I, myself, will only buy Pioneer or Denon DVD players in the future. I also will not buy the bottom of either line. I have never owned a Yamaha DVD player, but would still recomend the Pioneer.

Arnold Layne

Arnold Layne

Enthusiast
I may be able to help...my panasonic f85 took a dump about a month ago (error code h01...too much to fix) and I was really leary about buying anything expensive. I bought the yamaha dvd-c750 for $300 and I am now listening to my old redbook CD's that Iwas going to throw out. HUGE difference. I have it set to multi-channel out dolby pl II and it sounds great. I couldn't even listen to these CD's on the F85. I was playing "The Wall" from Pink Floyd and my wife was *****ing because she thought I went and bought another DVD-Audio ( I've been buying alot lately...). The crossover only sounds like it is set too high if you have the center and surround speakers set to small but you have the subwoofer making up most that (i swear I had changed the speakers to large and the subwoofer stayed "on", but I have yet to do it again...still messing with it). DVD-Audios and SACD's are everything they need to be.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I hate the 5 disc carousel..i was thinking of the Yamaha 1500 DVD player for $500. I can get the Pioneer 578a for $149..is it much better? i want a cheapie that will get me to Blue ray... :confused:

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis