Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'll let you know in a few days! :p I just ordered on a few days ago. I have a Denon DVD-2200, which I love, but DVD-R's aren't 100% reliable in it. However, the Pioneer DV-260S I have in my bedroom system is rock solid with every type of recordable DVD I've ever tested with it. So I bought the 563a to add to my rig for DVD-R use only.

Only downside is that in the meantime I found out that a regular at AudioCircle had a Pioneer 656a with Modwright Level I transport mods & a Bybee on the digital out. D'oh! :mad: So I did what any reasonable (er, okay, reasonable by audiophool standards) guy would do: I bought em both! :D If the 656a is solid with DVD-R's, too, I'll probably turn around & resell the 563a (unless it's actually better). After all, I've already got three other DVD players. :p

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
I was able to pick one of them (563A) up for under $100. At that price its actually a pretty darn good little player. If you do get one be sure to check the firmware version. Without the upgraded firmware, certain DVD-A discs will not play - Steely Dan's Gaucho being one of them.

JVC

JVC

Banned
Rob........
Sony and TDK's dvd-r media work pretty well with the 2200. Panasonic media doesn't work well with it though. These are the only ones I've tried. I haven't found a brand that won't work in the 563a............

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Unfortunately I'm completely hooked on printable DVDs. For the most part, ProDisc is pretty reliable, but it's that 1/2 of 1% that make you wanna scream.

I've got the 563a hooked up & so far it's working out great. It passes the 24/96 signal from my "DVD-M" discs and hasn't stumbled on DVD-Rs. I haven't decided yet if it sounds as good as a transport as my Denon; my first impression is that it's a little tizzy on top & lacks a bit of weight, but we'll see as I use it more. Already I can say it's well worth the $135 it cost me.

Can't wait to see how the Modwright Bybee'd 656a sounds! :D

U

Unregistered

Hawkeye said:
I was able to pick one of them (563A) up for under $100. At that price its actually a pretty darn good little player. If you do get one be sure to check the firmware version. Without the upgraded firmware, certain DVD-A discs will not play - Steely Dan's Gaucho being one of them.
How do you upgrade the firmware?

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Unregistered said:
How do you upgrade the firmware?
First, check to see what level its at now:
- turn on the player
- on the remote press: SETUP
- Choose INITIAL SETTINGS
- press: ENTER
- highlight: OPTIONS
- press: DISPLAY
- in the lower part of the screen the version number will be shown.

Its a send away fix, at least it was for me. The dealer didn't give me the option to do it myself. Must not be flashable with a cd - probaby a chip replacement.

My firmware version was 1.706. It was upgraded to 1.906 - after the upgrade Steely Dan's Gaucho played like a charm - excellent mix by the way.

U

Unregistered

DV 563A firmware

I checked the firmware version of the player that I have (Pioneer DV563A) and discover that the version is 1.306. Do you have any reports about failure on this version?
Thanks.

Hawkeye said:
First, check to see what level its at now:
- turn on the player
- on the remote press: SETUP
- Choose INITIAL SETTINGS
- press: ENTER
- highlight: OPTIONS
- press: DISPLAY
- in the lower part of the screen the version number will be shown.

Its a send away fix, at least it was for me. The dealer didn't give me the option to do it myself. Must not be flashable with a cd - probaby a chip replacement.

My firmware version was 1.706. It was upgraded to 1.906 - after the upgrade Steely Dan's Gaucho played like a charm - excellent mix by the way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis