Pioneer BS-22 Bookshelf speakers...wow, I'm impressed!

M

modman

Audioholic
I know this has been mentioned before in this forum, but I want to confirm...the Pioneer BS-22-LR bookshelf speakers have a HUGE performance to price ratio! Based on comments in this forum and elsewhere, and based on the fact that Best Buy matched Amazon's $80/pr price (as opposed to $130 list), I bought a pair to replace some aging units in my workshop. When I got them home and unboxed them, I thought "man these are made pretty well." I decided to unplug the front LR speakers in my main surround setup and put the BS-22's on chairs just in front of them. I selected the "Pure Direct" mode in my Yamaha receiver, which results in two channel stereo and no sub. I then put in a disk of Nancy Wilson's greatest hits, which I use to demo speakers because it has wonderful single-mic'd vocals with a defined string bass line. And...

Ohhh...I thought for sure I had accidentally selected the wrong mode for the speakers and that the sub was playing. But it was not. And yet, here was an incredible amount of clear, strong bass, as well as superb imaging, clarity, and "listenability." Tonight, I have been listening to the "Dave Brubek" channel I set up in Pandora (you might be surprised at the sound quality of some tracks), and I have been blissed out while grading papers.

I like these puppies! My workshop is going to be full of round sounds!!!

For those of you out there on a budget, two (or four or six!) of these and a nice sub could make you a happy camper for not much moolah.

This makes me wonder how good the floorstanders are. Godspeed Andrew Jones!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No doubt they are an excellent value speaker. Definitely surprising bass from a 4" driver and that's all by design. Very pleased with mine.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis