Pioneer bails - official word

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Bad business model, this whole "mid" hi-end segment mentality did them in, when everybody was slashing prices and improving quality, Pio opted to keep prices high while maintainig high quality with only small increments in performance over the competition.

1tribeca

Audioholic
Well, I'd agree totally with everything except the bit of performance over the competition. The Elites are/were leagues above the next guy without question...but yeah, they stuck to those elite prices as well.

I'm still planning on grabbing a PRO-110 while the grabbin' is good!

It might be interesting to see what they do with LCD if they start to have technical influence on the Sharp product. Possibly give the XBRs a run for the money?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I'd agree totally with everything except the bit of performance over the competition. The Elites are/were leagues above the next guy without question...but yeah, they stuck to those elite prices as well.

I'm still planning on grabbing a PRO-110 while the grabbin' is good!

It might be interesting to see what they do with LCD if they start to have technical influence on the Sharp product. Possibly give the XBRs a run for the money?
What out for the "buzz" on the 110. ;)

1tribeca

Audioholic
For real? I've never come across that with any installs I've seen. Mind you, I don't have my ear right up to the panel for any significant amount of time. In that case, I'll just have to crank up the volume of the 5.1 a little higher!!

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
My personal opinion is that the Pioneer Plasmas cost considerably more, but the PQ was not that much better than rivals (Samsung, Panasonic, Sony) at least in my opinion. I can't help but think the higher cost for their units is what hurts the sales (it certainly kept me from buying one).

Subjectively, I do think Plasma sets offer better PQ, but in the end it comes down to profitablility. If it costs less to make a product that sells then that is the product that will be made.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Clint scooped this in the article he wrote earlier in the week and we got a lot of hate mail for it. Hmm :rolleyes:

Fan boys don't like the truth when it comes to their favorite platform facing the possibilty of demise.:D

1tribeca

Audioholic
Regardless, the moment I can scrounge together $4500, I'm grabbing a "collector's item" PRO-110!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis