pioneer / amp hookup

D

dami

Audiophyte
Greetings,
I am new to your group. Just cannot seem to get questions answered from time to time from best buy if you know what i mean. Just purchased a pioneer elite sc 63 and I would like to connect an aragon 8008 dual mono block amp. to power two front speakers (which I do not have yet).
Do I use plain / standard type rca cables and if so then what ?
My second question is the amp came with an aragon 28k preamp.
something i should keep or just sell. they both are old but scream quality.
an online company offered me 400 for both and I would have to pay for shipping. didn't think a very good deal.
thank you

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
You use plain RCA type cables, from the right and left front preamp outputs of your receiver, to the inputs of the power amps. The power amps are hooked up to the front two speakers. The front right and left speaker connectors on the receiver are not used. You can confirm this by reading the manual for your Pioneer.

Most likely, the preamp will not be useful in conjunction with the Pioneer. If the preamp has MM phono inputs and you use a MM cartridge playing records, then you could use it for that, but otherwise, it is not a good idea to try to use it with the receiver. Basically, a receiver is a tuner (radio), preamp, and power amp, all in one box. You are planning on bypassing the power amp section for the front right and left speakers, hence the use of the Aragon power amps, but you are not bypassing the preamp section of the Pioneer, so you really do not need another preamp hooked up to it.

Now, if later on you want to have two systems, one with that preamp, and another with the Pioneer, then you would want to keep the preamp for that future use. But with the one system, it is not likely of any benefit at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis