Pink Floyd - Endless River.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
How could I [pass up their first new recording in about forty years or so? Particularly when it was issued in multi-channel DTS which, I guess, acknowledges the demise of SACD as a viable medium?

In any case, here's my impressions.

Somebody found new age music and delved heavily into the "Hearts of Space" catalog. It's smooth and soothing but has very little of the PF that we all knew and loved. There's an occasional guitar riff that teased me into thinking the good old days were back but soon enough they turned up the morphine drip and I wearily dropped back into my mellow, drowsy stupor.

the sound is great and the multi-channel effect is nice but aside from that, it's nothing that the HOS show on PBS hasn't been doing for the last 30 years or so.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
How could I [pass up their first new recording in about forty years or so? Particularly when it was issued in multi-channel DTS which, I guess, acknowledges the demise of SACD as a viable medium?

In any case, here's my impressions.

Somebody found new age music and delved heavily into the "Hearts of Space" catalog. It's smooth and soothing but has very little of the PF that we all knew and loved. There's an occasional guitar riff that teased me into thinking the good old days were back but soon enough they turned up the morphine drip and I wearily dropped back into my mellow, drowsy stupor.

the sound is great and the multi-channel effect is nice but aside from that, it's nothing that the HOS show on PBS hasn't been doing for the last 30 years or so.
I'm just curious, how many times have you listened to it? You know, sometimes you hate a new album, then it grows on you till you really like it.

I do like some PF, I've been considering a purchase of this one.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was listening to the radio yesterday and I think they must have had a track from this playing because I didn't recognize it. Interesting and I kind of liked the mellow nature of it, though I agree it isn't exactly what I gravitate towards. Will have to check it out.

I would not say a DTS release means SACD is dead, however DTS is likely easier to work with and get put out at this point. Steve Wilson has actually been working on a bunch of older catalog albums as well as some new ones, releasing remastered multichannel DVD-A versions from a number of different artists. MLP DVD-A often means a DTS track will be made available as well.

I'm just curious, how many times have you listened to it? You know, sometimes you hate a new album, then it grows on you till you really like it.
Agreed. I try not to formulate an opinion of an album until I've listened through the whole thing a few times. A few critically and a few in the background to give it time to "simmer" so I can decide if it goes into regular current rotation :)

Last edited:
sgtjim

sgtjim

Junior Audioholic
I totally agree with not being able to pass on my all time favorite bands newest album release. I came home to day after school to find my package from Amazon on my front porch. It is currently spinning in my Oppo and I am definitely enjoying the music. No it is not the Floyd of years ago, but at the same time it is. Reminds me of Dark Side, Ummagumma, Adam Heart just to name a few. Not at their level but still very "good" for those of us that are die hard fans. And best of all, nothing that I have heard so far comes from any previously released album...unlike much of my Floyd collection. And in surround sound.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Mine came in on Wed. it is still in the shipping package due to the nature of my work schedule :(

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ooo! Just placed order for cd+bluray combo. :)

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Mine came in on Wed. it is still in the shipping package due to the nature of my work schedule :(
Maybe just keep it in the package, it might be worth money someday. I am trying to convince myself that it's a good album (and you know I like Floyd), just doesn't seem to have it, at least not yet. SQ is very good. Maybe a hit of acid might do the trick.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm thinking of buying it but from what I'm reading, its missing the Pink Flloyd sound of old, something I really REALLY liked. My impression for the reviews is that they strayed too far from their sound to be considered Pink Floyd.

On the other hand, AC/DC's new album is almost as good as Back N Black . Its way better than Black Ice.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Markw stopped by last week and we listened to it.
Reminded me of a movie soundtrack. Very laid back.
There are three or four songs that I'd add to my MP3 mix, but that's about it.
Some info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Endless_River
I guess it's works as a 401k plan for the grand kids of Gilmour, Mason and Wright.;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Markw stopped by last week and we listened to it.
Reminded me of a movie soundtrack. Very laid back.
There are three or four songs that I'd add to my MP3 mix, but that's about it.
Some info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Endless_River
I guess it's works as a 401k plan for the grand kids of Gilmour, Mason and Wright.;)
Well if you and Mark came up with same opinion, I will remove this album from my wish lit. There's too much new good music out there and so little time to listen to it all :)

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Was little disappointed for this album indeed, not as good as the old albums. 5.1 version of the album is pretty interesting tho, my first multi channel album.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
It doesn't matter how you listen to this album, it's disappointing that's for sure.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't know it was a Blu-ray disc with DTS HD MA track. Will have to check out samples of the rest of it first.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
They certainly titled it aptly. Parts of it seem like it'll never end.

I give it B- for effect.

DJ

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis