Pink Floyd DSOTM 4.1 Alan Parsons Quadmix DVD-A

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I just got a copy of this. It is by far, the best sounding recording or piece of software I have ever heard. Period. It is from the original master tapes in quadrophonic sound.

Everybody here has to find it, download it, copy it, and share it with everyone you know.

Before people start questioning and making comments about the ethics of downloading, pirating, stealing let me pass this on to you.

This is not available for sale. I would be the first person in line to buy it if I could. It is a bootleg apparantly, not sure how it got out, but Alan Parsons mixed this incredible recording and it states to share it. I do not feel remotely guilty about copying this as I have personally bought:

1) 8 track
2)LP
3)cassette tape
4)CD
5)20th anniversary Remastered CD
6)SACD
7)"Classic Albums "Making of DSOTM DVD

This is a quad mix. It blows away, yes I repeat, blows away the SACD. I read all over the internet that it did but didn't believe it would until I heard it for myself. My complaint about 5.1 music is that the sound is too centered. Not this. This 4.1 mix is great for 2 channel purists and still gives you rear surround. The bass is amazing.

It made every hair on my body stand up and put a smile on my face, making me gitty like a child.

Do a Google search, look for the torrent. Get it. Trust me.

JC

Last edited:
S

sivadselim

Audioholic
pretty old news

HERE is a thread with a considerable amount of discussion regarding it.

The mix may be "cooler" than the SACD, but it doesn't really touch it sound-quality-wise. Unless you like hirez tape hiss and bloated bass (the added LFE channel is redundant info). ;)

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
sivadselim said:
The mix may be "cooler" than the SACD, but it doesn't really touch it sound-quality-wise. Unless you like hirez tape hiss and bloated bass (the added LFE channel is redundant info). ;)
True the Parsons mix has a bit more noise than Guthrie's 5.1 mix, but for me it's not so bad as to really detract all that much from this brilliant surround recording. When I listen to it I can't help but wonder what we'd all be saying about the SACD had Parsons been asked to mix the SACD rather than Guthrie. In reading interviews, and in talking to him directly about this, it's obvious Parsons feels somewhat jilted at not being asked to at least be a part of the newer mix. Keep in mind the original DSOTM recording that we have now been listening to for over 30 years resonates so well with us in part because of Parsons' involvement, not Guthrie's. Ah well, at least he was able to convince David Gilmour to play on his latest surround release.

JVC

JVC

Banned
While I think the dvd-a sounds fantastic also, I think I like the sacd mix a little better. The biggest difference between the two, is in the song, "On The Run". The guy running in the airport, runs around the room, in the sacd version. In the dvd-a version, he runs back and forth, across the back.
There are other subtle differences too, you have to listen and determine them yourself..........

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
My friend played an AP DSOTM 4.1 mix in my 5.1 setup and I really thought it was not only a bad mi, but poor in comparison to the 5.1 SACD. It sounded very thin, lacked in bass and dynamics and had strange transitions from speaker to speaker. While I don't think the 5.1 SACD mix is all that great, the 4.1 mix I heard was very crude in comparison. Perhaps there are 2 AP 4.1 mixes out there? The mix I heard made me just wish I was listening to 2 channel.

S

sivadselim

Audioholic
Sleestack said:
My friend played an AP DSOTM 4.1 mix in my 5.1 setup and I really thought it was not only a bad mi, but poor in comparison to the 5.1 SACD. It sounded very thin, lacked in bass and dynamics and had strange transitions from speaker to speaker. While I don't think the 5.1 SACD mix is all that great, the 4.1 mix I heard was very crude in comparison. Perhaps there are 2 AP 4.1 mixes out there? The mix I heard made me just wish I was listening to 2 channel.
Sounds like you may have heard a poorer quality version of the AP 4.0 mix than the current hirez direct transfer from the AP 4.0 master tapes that's been circulating for several months.

The DVD-A does sound good; just not as good as the SACD. And I can see how some may find the mix more interesting, too.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
I think I liked it better because I don't care for music coming out of my center channel. Just sounds weird to me. I like 2 channel music a little better and this mix seemed warmer to me.

The bass is amazing. What is anybody talking about. It blends with my other speakers far better than the SACD IMO.

People should download the torrent and listen for themselves. So far, the few here out of probably a hundred opinions I read on the net ,like the SACD better.

Not to mention, those people who don't have a SACD player or all the analog cables for DVD A, can take advantage of this mix in Dolby Digital or DTS. There is also some trippy video effects too.

And I hear very little to no hiss as some poeple have said. Not noticable and should not be a deterrant.

Bottom line, is who cares which one is better? It's free. Get this and enjoy it. It's a different perspective on one of the greatest albums of all time.

JC

Last edited:
S

sivadselim

Audioholic
Johnny Canuck said:
The bass is amazing. What is anybody talking about.
The (pseudo-)"LFE channel" was created from the other 4 full-range channels, so it is redundant bass info. If you set all your speakers to LARGE, it will play as if you have the "BOTH" setting chosen, and redundant bass will come from the LARGE speakers as well as the subwoofer. If you set your speakers to SMALL, the bass being sent to your sub is still redundant and "hotter" than it should be. There is no way to play the mix back "correctly" with a subwoofer in the mix. The closest way would be to set all the speakers to LARGE, then disconnect your sub. There is some discussion of this in the thread I linked to earlier.

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Have you personally heard it, or just read the opinion of a rare few?

S

sivadselim

Audioholic
Johnny Canuck said:
Have you personally heard it, or just read the opinion of a rare few?
A rare few?

I've had it for several months now. Along with many others.

Did you read the thread I linked to earlier?

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
yes i did..i read this before i downloaded the torrent. Most people on that link liked the 4.1 mix better. Or pointed out the differences. Both are good dude. Why argue which one is better? This 4.1 mix has it's advantages as people without SACD players can enjoy DSOTM. I have propbably had 20 private messages from guys looking for it.

I found it by typing dsotm dvda in google and it was there. I also use isohunt as a search engine for torrents.

BTW, type in "dts" or "dvda" and see what comes up! All the high rez a guy could want.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Actually, I did just that a few days ago. I found a few albums that seem to have been remixed in 5.1 DTS. But the way they were labelled was strange -- one of them said "Genesis Invisible Touch upmix DTS 5.1" or "Madonna The Immaculate Collection upmix DTS 5.1". By inclusion of the word "upmix", I assumed it wasn't a discrete mix, but some kind of DPLed thing. Which I can do on my receiver if I wanted.

I did find a torrent for Depeche Mode's DTS "Violator" as well, which has been released as a discrete DTS 5.1 disc.

But the upmixes . . . what's up with those? Is my assumption correct that they're not discrete?

cheers,
supervij

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
upmixes are crap. Well most of them. They are made by somebody with DTS software from a regular CD. The Genesis one is an actual DTS recording I think.

I have found some awesome DTS stuff. ZZ Top, Meat Loaf, Queen, and Guns n Roses and Pink Floyd the Wall..awesome!

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
An actual DTS recording? Is there one for "Invisible Touch"?

For the hell of it, I did download the Invisible Touch DTS 5.1 thing. Burned it to CD, and popped it in the system. It sounded terrible. Comparing it with the stereo CD of the album, this 5.1 was ridiculous. It sounded like a DPL had been forced into it. Walking around to each speaker, it even sounded like each channel was playing basically the same thing, with very minor variations. The mixes on the DVD "The Video Show" were much, much better than this piece of crap. I tossed it after listening to the first song.

But that's just my opinion.

cheers,
supervij

captain_tinker

captain_tinker

Audioholic
Well, I finally got it to download from bit torrent. My very first attempt at using it, (it only took two days!!! :mad: ) It finally finished just this morning, just before work. I hurriedly burned it to an RW, and brought it with me. The only way I have to listen to it here is through a really cheap earphone. But at least I was able to bring up the artwork etc on my computer using the PowerDVD player, and used the DD layer. I have to say, you can tell this isn't an "Official" release at all just by the artwork etc. Sure it looks good, but it's kind of off, somehow. In any case, I am going to compare it to my SACD tonight. I figured, I bought my SACD, so they have my money. Why not get this one too and at least listen to it on an RW? That way if I don't like it, I can overwrite it, and not worry about it. I know, I know, I probably shouldn't rationalize things like that, but I am just way too curious after reading this thread now to let it go without listening to it at least.

-capT

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Thanks for warning me about the Genesis CD. I don't really care for it anyways so I won't waste a blank CD-R on it.

captain_tinker

captain_tinker

Audioholic
This is a quad mix. It blows away, yes I repeat, blows away the SACD. I read all over the internet that it did but didn't believe it would until I heard it for myself. My complaint about 5.1 music is that the sound is too centered. Not this. This 4.1 mix is great for 2 channel purists and still gives you rear surround. The bass is amazing.

I almost forgot all about this thread. I meant to write a very short review of what I thought. The only thing I can really say is I don't think it "Blows away" the SACD at all, but rather it is a very good mix that I found very appealing. I found that I liked both mixes, for different reasons. They do sound different from each other in many ways. So for me it is nice to have both to choose from depending on what I am in the mood for at the time.

-capT

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
I almost forgot all about this thread. I meant to write a very short review of what I thought. The only thing I can really say is I don't think it "Blows away" the SACD at all, but rather it is a very good mix that I found very appealing. I found that I liked both mixes, for different reasons. They do sound different from each other in many ways. So for me it is nice to have both to choose from depending on what I am in the mood for at the time.
-capT
Different yes, and different is good. But it's good to have a choice. I still listen to the SACD occasionally but I prefer the quad mix. Though noiser it's a lot more fun to listen to, and after all shouldn't DSOTM be a fun listening experience? I think it was originally intended to push the envelope a bit and the quad mix pushes that envelope further yet.

BTW Captain, did you ever find a copy of Sinatra Live at the Sands? If so, Id be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

captain_tinker

captain_tinker

Audioholic
BTW Captain, did you ever find a copy of Sinatra Live at the Sands? If so, Id be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.
Indeed it is different. And you are right, different can be good. I listen to both, depending on my mood.

As for the Sinatra DVD-A, it seems that it is out of print from what I can see. However there are a few places that do sell it, most places that do sell it either show it as being backordered, or not available currently. Then there are some places that sell it, but I am not interested in paying as much as they are asking for it. Right now I am just waiting to see if Fry's has it. They are opening a new store here in town probably in April. The one in Sacramento has a very large selection of SACD and DVD-A but it's hard to get down there often. So if Frys doesn't have it, I will probably just save up my "allowance" :p and just pay the extra couple of buck$ to get it. Unless someone knows of a place that sells it for a decent price and actually has it in stock. I'd prefer new, but would consider used, as long as it was in very good condition.

-capT

maximoiglesias

maximoiglesias

Audioholic
DSOTM by Dream Theater

Anybody ever heard the CD or DVD of Dream Theater in concert playing the whole DSOTM songs?
It is sold by Ytseyam Records said to be the "official bootleggers for DT"

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis