Phono/Turntable Connection Safety

B

ballroomBoom

Audiophyte
I own a turntable with a ground wire. Is it electrically safe to temporarily test the turntable without using the ground wire?

Also, is it safe to my audio system if I temporarily connected the phono-out from my turntable directly into a line-in of my receiver? I understand I won't hear much sound, but it's a good way to ensure the turntable works. By "safe" I mean no damage to audio components.

Thanks.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Neither should cause any damage. Neither is a good way to actually listen to any music, but neither should damage anything.

I am not sure how much it will help you with "testing" to see if things work, as you may get a loud hum without a ground for the turntable, though it depends on all of the particulars. And the sound will be way off hooking up to a line level input, as it will be far too soft, and the frequency response will be very bad if we are talking about a typical magnetic cartridge.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
OP, what is the problem that you are trying to test and solve?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I own a turntable with a ground wire. Is it electrically safe to temporarily test the turntable without using the ground wire?
Yes its safe but you may or may not hear a lot of hum or background noise. That's why the ground lead is there; to bleed away the noise.

Also, is it safe to my audio system if I temporarily connected the phono-out from my turntable directly into a line-in of my receiver? I understand I won't hear much sound, but it's a good way to ensure the turntable works. By "safe" I mean no damage to audio components.

Thanks.
Yes its safe as well but like you mentioned, it will not sound good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis