Philharmonic Audio Mini Philharmonitor Bookshelf Speaker Demo Report

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If you are looking for a price friendly desktop or surround loudspeaker with an audiophile RAAL tweeter, Zapf audio woofer and superb crossover network than look no further than the Mini Philharmonitor from Dennis Murphy and Philharmonic Audio. The Mini Philharmonitor is a relatively new speaker and you'll be amazed how well they handle many genres of music for dedicated music listening. At this price point, the Mini Philharmonitors are the only speakers with a RAAL tweeter that we could find. Please read on to see how these did in a sound demo in an in-home audition.

MiniMonitor(2).png

Read: Philharmonic Audio Mini Philharmonitor Bookshelf Speaker Review

S

StateofMind

Audiophyte
Would Philharmonic speakers be a good choice for 50% music 50% HT? They seem to be brilliant for music but haven’t heard many HT notes.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Would Philharmonic speakers be a good choice for 50% music 50% HT? They seem to be brilliant for music but haven’t heard many HT notes.
They were really designed for surround duty in HT rather than as mains. They would certainly work as mains with a sub, but you probably couldn't achieve reference levels.

S

StateofMind

Audiophyte
They were really designed for surround duty in HT rather than as mains. They would certainly work as mains with a sub, but you probably couldn't achieve reference levels.
I see, suggest moving up to New Philharmonitors for mains if I already have a usable sub?

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I see, suggest moving up to New Philharmonitors for mains if I already have a usable sub?
They would certainly have more power handling, but frankly I regard the BMR's as a better buy, particularly if the version with the prefabricated cabinets is acceptable. If high sensitivity and very wide dynamic range is a strong priority, something like the JBL 590 would function well.

M

Masher59

Junior Audioholic
I have 2 of them as my rears and they perform nicely with my Salk front end. I will be picking up another pair of them in the next few months. Big thanks to Dennis for taking care of me.

A

aarons915

Enthusiast
I bought a pair of the ported versions around Thanksgiving and tried them out as mains and honestly they had just as good of bass as any similar size bookshelf I've tried recently.(Wharfedale Diamond 220, Kef LS50, ARX A1). I'd say with the caveat that you have a sub and don't listen at insane levels they're perfectly fine as mains.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I bought a pair of the ported versions around Thanksgiving and tried them out as mains and honestly they had just as good of bass as any similar size bookshelf I've tried recently.(Wharfedale Diamond 220, Kef LS50, ARX A1). I'd say with the caveat that you have a sub and don't listen at insane levels they're perfectly fine as mains.
Aaron I owned the 220's and the Dentons. Of the two, the 220's have much more low end than the Dentons. Thus, the 220's had plenty of low end for my needs. How does the Phil Mini-Monitors compare in terms of extension/articulation? Not planning to use a sub here. Just merely 2 CH only. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

A

aarons915

Enthusiast
The 220's and Mini Phils(ported version) have very similar bass response in my room, both are good to about 50Hz before dropping off. The one big difference is that the 220 are ported to the base of the speaker and Mini Phil is rear ported so you'll have to make sure you have enough clearance behind them.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The 220's and Mini Phils(ported version) have very similar bass response in my room, both are good to about 50Hz before dropping off. The one big difference is that the 220 are ported to the base of the speaker and Mini Phil is rear ported so you'll have to make sure you have enough clearance behind them.
Thanks Aaron for the insights. I can place the Mini's w/o any issues whatsoever should I decide to opt for them. Right now, I am looking at several possibilities when the time comes. That also gives me time to narrow my list. Thanks once again! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

S

strat_80

Audiophyte
Hello,
I am new here. Have a pair of Ascend Sierra-2s and the RAALs sound crystal clear. I am somewhat dissatisfied with the lows. I know they don't go low so thinking of the BMR Philharmonitor as I prefer not to have to use towers. These are in our eat-in kitchen area. The Ascends look fantastic too. Other speakers I own currently are Golden Ear Triton 7s and older Triangle Celius Towers.

Anybody have thoughts on the Philharmonitor vs Salk Veracity HT1? the HT1's specs don't go as low as the Philharmonitor. Frankly I was surprised by the frequency range of the Philharmonitors. Anyplace near St Louis where I can hear them?

Thank you

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Hello,
I am new here. Have a pair of Ascend Sierra-2s and the RAALs sound crystal clear. I am somewhat dissatisfied with the lows. I know they don't go low so thinking of the BMR Philharmonitor as I prefer not to have to use towers. These are in our eat-in kitchen area. The Ascends look fantastic too. Other speakers I own currently are Golden Ear Triton 7s and older Triangle Celius Towers.

Anybody have thoughts on the Philharmonitor vs Salk Veracity HT1? the HT1's specs don't go as low as the Philharmonitor. Frankly I was surprised by the frequency range of the Philharmonitors. Anyplace near St Louis where I can hear them?

Thank you
I think the published bass specs for the HT1 are very conservative. In a room, I'm sure they can make it into the upper 30's. The HT1 is basically an Ellis 1801 with a RAAL tweeter instead of the Hiquphon OW1. I haven't heard it in years. It was the first speaker Jim offered (with a different ribbon tweeter), and it kind of sank out of sight with all of the subsequent offerings. The drivers are considerably more expensive than those on the BMR, hence the much higher price. Jim might be able to tell you whether there are any HT1's in your area. I don't think there are any BMR's.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis