CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
Since this is the Steam Vent, it only seems fitting to have a thread about your Pet Peeves!

I'll start:

People who say "basically" and "essentially". They are useless filler words that have no real meaning. I used to use them as well, until I learned the error of my ways. Now I can't stand it when I read something containing those words, it makes me feel like the writer/speaker doesn't really know what they are talking about.

That is a more specific part of a greater Pet Peeve of mine, which is poor use of English, especially on the internet. To me, the way you present yourself in the form of online posting is a direct reflection of your intelligence. I won't call someone an idiot for not using perfect English (I screw up from time to time, we all do), but to carelessly type away tells me that I probably would be better off not listening to what you have to say.

Another completely unrelated peeve is people watching me eat. You can see their eyes following your food from the plate to your mouth with a look of longing that makes you feel like they are going to reach across the table and swipe your food.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL. I've never noticed if somone watched me eat, and I don't really care.

Proper grammar is a peeve of mine, especially on forums. It drives me up the wall. Definately is definitely the number one for me. There, their and there would be the next. Filler words not so much, but there is a direct correlation between how you use the language and how intelligent you are percieved as being, whether you are or not.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Basically, I don't like people who judge me just because I like to watch them eat. That's essentially it.

:D

J/K. You're next pet peeve with be "Adam".

--------------------

One of my pet peeves is people who don't do their job and then blame me for it. I got smacked down in my review last year because one of the groups that I worked with blew off their job and then lied and blamed me for stuff not being done, even though I had done my job completely (and quite well, IMO).

EDIT: My other pet peeve is when my manager believes a bunch of liars over me. :)

J

jamie2112

Banned
I think me biggest pet peeve is people who talk during concerts. I myself would have thrown many a tool out of a show if I were allowed IE(job for security)...I have a bunch more but that is one of the biggest..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Concerts? I usually have ear plugs in at the show :) I hate DRUNK people at concerts - why go if you are just going to get smashed and not remember any of it? Why waste your time and money? At a show last year, some chick was hammered out of her mind right behind me and kept hanging on to me, then she spilled her beer on me and eventually got thrown out of the show. WTF?

I hate people who talk or use their phone during a movie in the theater - we have a whole thread on that one already.

itschris

itschris

I could hit Samauri status in no time posting here. I have two major ones that I encounter on a regular basis:

1) Driving home, I go up Tampa Rd west to US19. Both are highways. At the light, the right turn lane merges into a dedicated lane on US19 meaning that no car travelling on US19 can get into your lane. You have your own lane to turn into... yet everyday... there's someone... typically a woman on her cell phone sitting there watching all these cars wiz by one lane over while never even bothering to just turn into her own dedicated lane. A long line will usually just sit there until the light finally changes. I'm getting pissed just writing about it.

2) Going to any buffet at lunch time. This could be the local Chinese buffet, the wing buffet, it doesn't matter. When you're paying $6.99 for all you can eat, does it really behoove you to sit there and create the masterpiece on your plate? Do you need to individually inspect each wing... root around the fried rice... or is it really all the same? Do you need to take 5 small shovels of bourbon chicken... each precluded by the pre-scoop shimmy, when one full scoop could've done it? It's a f*ckin' buffet. Scoop and Dump. Scoop and Dump. Scoop and Dump.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
People who won't let you finish a sentence......:mad:.........

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I could hit Samauri status in no time posting here. I have two major ones that I encounter on a regular basis:

1) Driving home, I go up Tampa Rd west to US19. Both are highways. At the light, the right turn lane merges into a dedicated lane on US19 meaning that no car travelling on US19 can get into your lane. You have your own lane to turn into... yet everyday... there's someone... typically a woman on her cell phone sitting there watching all these cars wiz by one lane over while never even bothering to just turn into her own dedicated lane. A long line will usually just sit there until the light finally changes. I'm getting pissed just writing about it.
Yup. There is a spot by my old place that exactly the same thing happens. Friggin idiots.

2) Going to any buffet at lunch time. This could be the local Chinese buffet, the wing buffet, it doesn't matter. When you're paying $6.99 for all you can eat, does it really behoove you to sit there and create the masterpiece on your plate? Do you need to individually inspect each wing... root around the fried rice... or is it really all the same? Do you need to take 5 small shovels of bourbon chicken... each precluded by the pre-scoop shimmy, when one full scoop could've done it? It's a f*ckin' buffet. Scoop and Dump. Scoop and Dump. Scoop and Dump.
LOL. If it is a buffet, they will MAKE MORE and you can GO BACK :rolleyes:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Chris - your buffet description cracks me up!

Drivers - yes, yes, yes. I know that I am the bane of someone else's existence from time to time on the road, but there are things that really get me going. Driving slow in the fast lane, for example. Even worse - driving fast in the fast lane just to get past me before I get over to go around someone, then slowing down and never passing the person that I was about to try and go around.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
FANBOYS:mad: - Its fine to rep your brand every once and a while, but to reccomend the same brand every single chance possible:mad:

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
irregardless of what you say ...

"irregardless" of what you say ...

Irregardless is not a word!

"I agree, but ....."

Also, used to be my pet peeve the difference between datum and data
data are plural; datum is singular. pepoel always incorrectly say "data is"

Another is the incorrect use of future superlative ( probably the only thing I remember from English)

The correct phraseology is "If I were ..." "If i was..." is not correct.

And the worst people who use lane change blinkers incorrectly : A (1) signal 3 miles ahead or (2) forget to turn them off and actually make changes opposite to the direction they are signallliny

B - Those who don't use at all!

Oh did you mean Audioholic wise. Well not to p*ss anyone off so I won't name any names, but I was PMed from someone who misunderstood the relationship between power and current and the difference between 4 and 8 ohms and was telling me they knew the formulaes but they didn't apply :rolleyes: There was even a good thread on this forum to explain http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49365&highlight=current+ohms

Later,

MidCow2

Peace to all those who differ with my humble opinions.

*** Yes, everyone have a great Thanksgiving ***

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
I vow to be less of a Fan Boy

FANBOYS:mad: - Its fine to rep your brand every once and a while, but to reccomend the same brand every single chance possible:mad:
Minus,

You are correct I will try to do better in the future ;)

Later,

MidCow2

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
"You know".....translation: I am unable to express myself and incapable of putting my thoughts into words.

Mort (like, ya know what I mean?)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Newbies who post a question and then never come back to even see if there was an answer.

phlakvest

phlakvest

Audioholic
Since this is the Steam Vent, it only seems fitting to have a thread about your Pet Peeves!

I'll start:

People who say "basically" and "essentially".Fragment They are useless filler words that have no real meaning. I used to use them as well, until I learned the error of my ways. Now I cannot stand it when I read something containing those words.It makes me feel like the writer/speaker Does not really know what they are talking about.

That is a more specific part of a greater Pet Peeve of mine. Using poor English, especially, on the internet. To me,Implied The way you present yourself in the form of online posting is a direct reflection of your intelligence. I will not call someone an idiot for not using perfect English (I screw up from time to time, we all do.) Carelessly typing away tells me that I probably would be better off not listening to what you have to say.

Another completely unrelated peeve is people watching me eat. You can see their eyes following your food from the plate to your mouth with a look of longing that makes you feel like they are going to reach across the table and swipe your food.run on

I could not resist. :D

To get back on topic:
Driving in a method that is un-courtious of the small percentage of us stick shift owners.
Coming up behind me at a redlight, stoping a normal distance then slowly inching up so there is no room to roll back.
Starting as the light turns green then slowing down and speeding back up.
Driving between the 12 and 14mph range. My car doesnt have a gear for that speed.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"irregardless" of what you say ...

Irregardless is not a word!
Unfortunately, actually it IS a word; look it up. It IS also a double negative however, and I hate it when people use it. Just say "regardless" or "irrespective" damnit!

Newbies who post a question and then never come back to even see if there was an answer.
Haha. And then we have a big thread on it and the OP never even gets any of the benefit of it.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I would put psychotic drivers very high on my list.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis