Perhaps these measurements explain...

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
On-axis frequency response is one of many characteristics of a speaker. And since they reviewed the set of speakers as a set, and not those speakers individually in that review, the surround channel speakers don't matter so much, and so they will be a relatively minor part of their overall opinion of the set of speakers. I could also add that magazines that take advertising typically are cautious in the way they review things, because they do not want to lose advertising revenue, so that one needs to pay attention to subtle details of the review in order to judge their real opinion.

By the way, I am not trying to convince you that you are wrong to dislike them. I am merely trying to answer the implicit question in your final sentence.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
sigh, I really wish S&V would give us real off-axis measurements instead of summing them up into a single FR. Also, I am loving the FR for their "surround". What's bizarre is if you look at that 'surround', it's really just an ordinary bookshelf speaker that is sold as such, this thing. That is a hideous response for a speaker like that.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Pinnacle is over priced for sure - they seem to be more into the HT gimmick.
A lot of companies tend to boost some midrange and treble >> so you can
get close to a theater-like (bright) experience.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
On-axis frequency response is one of many characteristics of a speaker. And since they reviewed the set of speakers as a set, and not those speakers individually in that review, the surround channel speakers don't matter so much, and so they will be a relatively minor part of their overall opinion of the set of speakers. I could also add that magazines that take advertising typically are cautious in the way they review things, because they do not want to lose advertising revenue, so that one needs to pay attention to subtle details of the review in order to judge their real opinion.

By the way, I am not trying to convince you that you are wrong to dislike them. I am merely trying to answer the implicit question in your final sentence.
They are listening window responses, not just on-axis... but either way, I'm well aware they only tell part of the story. That said, none of the measurements are impressive given the price... The response of the BD 500 II bookshelf looks pretty awful for a product in that price range... And the front L/R speakers don't look great either, IMO, with such shelved up treble... Maybe off-axis dispersion of the highs is poor and that helps balance the overall sound in-room...

I wouldn't be surprised if S&V gets advertising dollars from Pinnacle... and if so I don't doubt they'd want to be cautious how they review Pinnacle's products... but they give the speaker aspect of this system 5 stars for performance and 4.5 for value... Given the measurements, they just do not look like speakers that perform all that well to me...

And having owned the BD 500 for a very very short time... I was underwhelmed with the build quality just as much as the sound quality... although people do like that piano finish.

The review was at least honest about the under-performing subwoofer.

Last edited:
A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
sigh, I really wish S&V would give us real off-axis measurements instead of summing them up into a single FR. Also, I am loving the FR for their "surround". What's bizarre is if you look at that 'surround', it's really just an ordinary bookshelf speaker that is sold as such, this thing. That is a hideous response for a speaker like that.
Yeah the bookshelf response looks ugly...

It would be nice if S&V would give more comprehensive measurements like Soundstage and/or Stereophile...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis