Peacock and Xfinity

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Starting 5/26 Peacock will not be offered for free to Comcast subscribers. From what I can find, NBCUniversal is still trying to make a profit. As for myself, I'm debating whether or not I should subscribe. I like watching the cycling. Beyond that I've only watched an occasional show.

Streaming overall appears to be going through growing pains. Beyond password sharing issues I'm wondering about dilution. While I love competitions, even though in this case I'm not convinced they're really competing, are we nearing a critical number of providers and just can't support them all? Will we eventually start seeing merging like in other industries?

Then, with all this cost cutting and trying to improve profits, it also seems some of the providers are relying on a few shows to keep you spending on their channel while you wait for the next season while adding very little new content. I've fallen in this trap. My guess many other people have.

D

diwit

Audioholic Intern
Starting 5/26 Peacock will not be offered for free to Comcast subscribers. From what I can find, NBCUniversal is still trying to make a profit. As for myself, I'm debating whether or not I should subscribe. I like watching the cycling. Beyond that I've only watched an occasional show.

Streaming overall appears to be going through growing pains. Beyond password sharing issues I'm wondering about dilution. While I love competitions, even though in this case I'm not convinced they're really competing, are we nearing a critical number of providers and just can't support them all? Will we eventually start seeing merging like in other industries?

Then, with all this cost cutting and trying to improve profits, it also seems some of the providers are relying on a few shows to keep you spending on their channel while you wait for the next season while adding very little new content on hide likes on instagram. I've fallen in this trap. My guess many other people have.
You bring up valid concerns and observations about the streaming industry. The current landscape of streaming services is indeed evolving rapidly, and it's not uncommon to encounter growing pains and challenges along the way. Here are some insights on the points you raised:
  1. Shifting business models: As you mentioned, the decision by NBCUniversal to no longer offer Peacock for free to Comcast subscribers reflects a shift towards a more profit-oriented approach. Streaming services, like any business, need to find sustainable revenue models to continue offering content and investing in new productions. This often involves finding a balance between subscription fees, advertising, and partnerships.
  2. Increasing number of providers: The streaming market has seen a proliferation of providers in recent years, leading to a wide range of choices for consumers. While competition can be beneficial for consumers, it can also lead to fragmentation and subscription fatigue. Some viewers may find it challenging to justify subscribing to numerous services simultaneously, especially if they only have a few favorite shows on each platform.
  3. Potential for merging: In any industry, consolidation and mergers are not uncommon. As the streaming landscape matures, we may indeed see some providers merging or forming strategic partnerships to better compete and offer more diverse content libraries. We've already witnessed some instances of this, such as Disney's acquisition of Fox and the merger of WarnerMedia and Discovery.
  4. Content reliance and viewer retention: To retain subscribers, some streaming services rely heavily on a few highly popular shows or exclusive content. This can lead to situations where viewers continue to pay for a subscription even during the gaps between seasons or when there's a lack of new content. It's a strategy that aims to keep audiences engaged and invested in the platform, but it can be frustrating for viewers who are looking for a consistent stream of fresh content.
As the streaming industry continues to evolve, it's likely that providers will experiment with different strategies, pricing models, and content offerings to adapt to consumer preferences. It's always a good idea to assess your own viewing habits and needs, consider the available options, and make choices that align with your preferences and budget.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The whole thing about them focusing on a few shows that they know people want to watch is the killer for them. If that is all you really have, a few shows that keep people on, the business model isn't very strong. What do you do when that show ends? They spend a lot on what they think people are interested in, but they really don't know. The pressure is then on them to make sure those top shows remain top shows too. They have become network TV of yesteryear...

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I haven't had Comcast for like 2 years, I still get Peacock for free. No interest in subscribing to their service.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I haven't had Comcast for like 2 years, I still get Peacock for free. No interest in subscribing to their service.
I believe the end data without paying for a subscription is the 6/27. I still have it for free. I opened it by accident last night. lol!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Just got the email from Xfinity that I get Peacock free with my 1.1GB internet speed.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord

Then, with all this cost cutting and trying to improve profits, it also seems some of the providers are relying on a few shows to keep you spending on their channel while you wait for the next season while adding very little new content. I've fallen in this trap. My guess many other people have.
If you are a cycling fan then invest in GCN+ and a VPN. I have not missed any race except ironically the US pro championships.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis