A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Lads and Ladies,

I'm thinking that I need to add some sound to a secondary t.v location, 2ch only for added volume but also for music when people are gathered there. I was wondering if anyone had a technical analysis of the Monitor 9. I hear them all the time, and my ears do like what they hear, but I am admittedly ignorant at graph reading and deciphering what is there. Keep in mind that the cost issue or finding a better speaker for less is not too relevant as I get great deals on the speakers. Thanks for any input.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
Also..

Another addition here...When everyone is discussing speaker bands/options/best fits for others etc, Paradigm does not usually come up. Is this due to most not generally liking the sound of them or that most feel you can do better in bang for buck? And what would others consider equivilant in sound?

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Another addition here...When everyone is discussing speaker bands/options/best fits for others etc, Paradigm does not usually come up. Is this due to most not generally liking the sound of them or that most feel you can do better in bang for buck? And what would others consider equivilant in sound?
Paradigm is a good brand, they have been around for a relatively long time, and they are top-notch from a manufacturing standpoint.

IMO, they don't get as much love on THIS forum as they should, but there are a few around here that own them, like them, and defend them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't heard the current ones, but I've heard previous models and I felt the 7s and the 11s were better. I've owned plenty of Paradigms and I always felt they were good. With the Monitor line, I do feel you can do better for the money IMO, and while the Studios are very good, the same is true but the gap narrows. I came very close to going with Studios but ended up with my current speakers. On the other hand...I LOVE the Signature line :) ParadigmDawg isn't on here as much, which is why you don't see a lot of 'Digm discussions or recommendations.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
I haven't heard the current ones, but I've heard previous models and I felt the 7s and the 11s were better. I've owned plenty of Paradigms and I always felt they were good. With the Monitor line, I do feel you can do better for the money IMO, and while the Studios are very good, the same is true but the gap narrows. I came very close to going with Studios but ended up with my current speakers. On the other hand...I LOVE the Signature line :) ParadigmDawg isn't on here as much, which is why you don't see a lot of 'Digm discussions or recommendations.
You know one thing that they have done that I really like is close the gap between the Monitor and Studio lines with the current Monitor 7's. They have taken a lot of Studio design and structure and placed that into the Monitor's. While, IMO, the Studio line is still cleaner, more detailed and I think they soundstage better, the Monitor's do a much better job than ever.

Now having said this, what I have found is that you all are kind of sick...;) I have ventured out and listened to many more speakers than I previously had (Salk, KEF, B&W and the likes) and what I have found is that there is now a comparison curve that was not there before, and that may not be good. I see how this can become an obsession, an everlasting quest for better sound (not "better sound through research":mad:) which is maddening. Oh well, what the hell else do I have to do?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 7 has always sort of been the sweet spot in the Monitor line. Kind of like they design those and then the rest of the line :) The 9s have always been the odd man out, like the old Studio 80s, which were the equivalent of the 9s - they stopped making those because they really didn't need another speaker between the 60s and 100s.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
The 7 has always sort of been the sweet spot in the Monitor line. Kind of like they design those and then the rest of the line :) The 9s have always been the odd man out, like the old Studio 80s, which were the equivalent of the 9s - they stopped making those because they really didn't need another speaker between the 60s and 100s.
So what makes them the "sweet spot" of the line? Is is that the 11's are priced in the Studio line? Are the 9's just not much of an improvement over the 7's and not near enough to the 11's? What do you think of the 7's paired with a sub?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To command total respect, one must have speakers in the range of at least $15,000. :D

Linkwitz has a $15K, Salk a $16K, Revel a $22K, JBL & B&W a $60K, Dynaudio an $85K, KEF a $160K, Focal a $180K.

But seriously, Paradigm speakers usually measure very well. Cannot fault Paradigm on measurements.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So what makes them the "sweet spot" of the line? Is is that the 11's are priced in the Studio line? Are the 9's just not much of an improvement over the 7's and not near enough to the 11's? What do you think of the 7's paired with a sub?
That is it exactly. The 7s work really well when paired with a sub; I had 5s previously, which were basically a Monitor line version of the Studio 40; They were effectively a 7 in a large bookshelf enclosure (just like 40s vs. 60s), and they needed a sub while the 7s can be used for music without one. The 11s I would get for music only, no sub. The 9s to me, and remember I haven't heard the current ones, didn't quite fit either category previously, though they could sort of do both. And yes, when you get to the point of 11s and possibly even the 9s, you might as well just jump to Studios.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
To command total respect, one must have speakers in the range of at least $15,000. :D

Linkwitz has a $15K, Salk a $16K, Revel a $22K, JBL & B&W a $60K, Dynaudio an $85K, KEF a $160K, Focal a $180K.
Those may be an option once the kids college fund is much higher than those levels. Until then, cheaper (in price) is better, but within reason, which is why I was asking. So for those who do not wish to command respect now, and also wish to sleep in the same bed as the wife, what are your thoughts. I highly respect your speaker opinions, but are you able to appreciate a speaker not up to your own standards and see the value in something like the Monitor 7 for me?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Those may be an option once the kids college fund is much higher than those levels. Until then, cheaper (in price) is better, but within reason, which is why I was asking. So for those who do not wish to command respect now, and also wish to sleep in the same bed as the wife, what are your thoughts. I highly respect your speaker opinions, but are you able to appreciate a speaker not up to your own standards and see the value in something like the Monitor 7 for me?
If they sound great to you, they have my total respect. :D

Auditioning speakers in stores or dealers is such a hit and miss. Some will sound great, while others not so great because there are many variables.

I only heard the Paradigm Studio 100 once at a dealer. So, I can't say too much. If they were in my house hooked up to my subwoofers and set up the way I like, I bet they would have sounded great.

So when someone say he didn't like a speaker, it may not mean much. It may just be the room acoustic or some RC, EQ, DSP, placement issues, etc.

The "Paradigm" brand is very respectable. I don't recommend it to a lot of people simply because I don't know enough about them. :D

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
ADTG, what are your thoughts on the x20 line from yamaha, specifically the 720? Would you be comfortable with that driving Monitor 7's?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG, what are your thoughts on the x20 line from yamaha, specifically the 720? Would you be comfortable with that driving Monitor 7's?
First, Yamaha has my total respect when it comes to AVR, especially the RX-A1010, so I think the 720 is grandfather in. :D

Second, I think amp power requirement and speaker minimum impedance is overrated, just like most things audio. :D

Third, yes, I personally would be completely comfortable with the Yamaha 720 driving the Monitor 7.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis