Alvin Cole

Alvin Cole

Enthusiast
First time posting so bear with me. Ill try to be as descriptive as possible.

In my current system I have all my inputs going to my TV via HDMI.

TV: Antenna
HDMI 1: PC
HDMI 2: Xbox 360
HDMI 3: Blue Ray Player

The sound is then sent from the digital output on the TV to my receiver. (Magnavox MFX 450)
This receiver has no HDMI inputs hence me connecting it this way.

When my TV is on the Antenna input my receiver displays AC3.2. When connected to any of the HDMI inputs it displays PCM. From what I understand PCM is only 2 channel audio? Just want to ensure I have this connected the best way I can given my current setup. Also if someone could clarify the diffence between PCM and AC3.2.

-Thanks AJ

rsharp

rsharp

Audioholic
You'll ultimately need to check out the user manual of your TV. I know at least some manuals outline exactly what you get when using HDMI vs Digital Out. Having said that, it may be the case where PCM via a non-HDMI digital out is restricted to 2 channel. In my Blu-ray manual, it can output 5.1 or 7.1ch PCM, but only over HDMI. Digital Out is always 2ch.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am not sure there is a limitation to the number of channels for PCM. There are blu-ray discs with uncompressed 7.1 PCM. DTS 5.1 can be passed as a PCM stream as well (DTS-CDs). AC3 is dolby (surround or digital) and may contain any number of channels depending on the encoding, from 2.0 to 7.1. So to say that any of these might be one way or another can be difficult. In your case, you do need to check the TV for the digital audio output settings since that is going to determine the limitation of what you can get. Most have some combination of PCM, DD and/or DTS and it will often output everything in those formats regardless of what the original signal type was. Try each of them and see what sounds best to you.

To get the most out of the current formats, an upgrade to an HDMI equipped receiver may be worth it, but how you have it now for your gear probably just needs a little poking around in the menus to get the most out of it.

Alvin Cole

Alvin Cole

Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick and informative responses. I'll poke around in my settings and see what I can find. I definitely get surround sound from all the inputs just wanted to optimize it. Plus gives me a reason to go hdmi receiver shopping!

Thanks again!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis