W

Winnipeg85

Audiophyte
Hi,

I recently sold my pb-3000 because I wanted to get 2 subs and needed funds/room to put 2. I have mostly decided that 2 ported subs are too physically large for the space and WAF. Part of me is still considering two monolith 12's as the price is right and everything out there keeps hammering me over the head to go with ported. My other main consideration is two HSU ULS-15 MK2 which is obviously smaller and affords 1 or maybe 2 more placement options.

My room is about 3500 ft3 and open. The single pb-3000 was acceptable amounts of bass but I wouldn't want less. I have a 5.4.? setup with Klipsch rp-8000's and matching surrounds except the Atmos which were a cheaper klipsch. I've searched the forums but can't really find anyone who switched from ported to sealed give thoughts.

Any opinions? Please keep in mind I'm in Canada and can't try something out and return it.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi,

I recently sold my pb-3000 because I wanted to get 2 subs and needed funds/room to put 2. I have mostly decided that 2 ported subs are too physically large for the space and WAF. Part of me is still considering two monolith 12's as the price is right and everything out there keeps hammering me over the head to go with ported. My other main consideration is two HSU ULS-15 MK2 which is obviously smaller and affords 1 or maybe 2 more placement options.

My room is about 3500 ft3 and open. The single pb-3000 was acceptable amounts of bass but I wouldn't want less. I have a 5.4.? setup with Klipsch rp-8000's and matching surrounds except the Atmos which were a cheaper klipsch. I've searched the forums but can't really find anyone who switched from ported to sealed give thoughts.

Any opinions? Please keep in mind I'm in Canada and can't try something out and return it.
The ported sub is preferable because of higher efficiency, better LF response and lower distortion, provided that you have the space for the larger enclosure. The sealed cabinet is recommended when your room and space are limited.

Since your room is open, there would be a better performance with the ported subs. You just have to convince your spouse somehow. You could tell her that you would be saving on your electric bill with the ported design. It's a fact (Compare amp with sealed and the one with the ported). Maybe also buying her a special gift might help.

For the ported design, I would recommend two Monolith M-12s:

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Monolith 12" is about the same size as the PB-3000.

W

Winnipeg85

Audiophyte
The Monolith 12" is about the same size as the PB-3000.
Yeah, I realize which is why I'm trying to talk myself out of it. The benefit is 2 costing similar to what I sold the pb-3000 for. I just don't want to get 2 ULS and be really disappointed.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I realize which is why I'm trying to talk myself out of it. The benefit is 2 costing similar to what I sold the pb-3000 for. I just don't want to get 2 ULS and be really disappointed.
Unfortunately, below about 35hz you’ll need three or four sealed subs to equal the pb3000. A pair of pc2000 pro could be an option.

W

Winnipeg85

Audiophyte
Unfortunately, below about 35hz you’ll need three or four sealed subs to equal the pb3000. A pair of pc2000 pro could be an option.
Thanks, I think in my head I was using HSU's 1m reading at 20 hz of 108 db and thinking it would be roughly equal to the pb-3000. I see in the Audioholics test at 2m it's 99 db, so even adding the ideal 6 db from a second sub it would still be under...guess I need to find the room and think of present ideas for my wife.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Can you fit 2 PB-2000 Pro subs into this scenario? That would be pretty potent as a dual set up. The best value in subs though right now is Monoprice Monolith. They are just killing it all the way around.

W

Winnipeg85

Audiophyte
Can you fit 2 PB-2000 Pro subs into this scenario? That would be pretty potent as a dual set up. The best value in subs though right now is Monoprice Monolith. They are just killing it all the way around.
In theory, but they would cost me about $1000 more for 2 than the Monolith 12's so figured that was the smarter choice. Last year there was a memorial weekend sale, figured I'd wait and see if there's another.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, I think in my head I was using HSU's 1m reading at 20 hz of 108 db and thinking it would be roughly equal to the pb-3000. I see in the Audioholics test at 2m it's 99 db, so even adding the ideal 6 db from a second sub it would still be under...guess I need to find the room and think of present ideas for my wife.
Lol. Mine just gets mad when I present gifts. She doesn’t like being bribed LOL!!!!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
In theory, but they would cost me about $1000 more for 2 than the Monolith 12's so figured that was the smarter choice. Last year there was a memorial weekend sale, figured I'd wait and see if there's another.
Yes it is. Monolith subs are just killing it. Excellent choice.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Dual PC-2000 Pros; ported, capable, smaller footprint

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There is no sealed or smaller option that will match a single PB3000 unless you get 3 or 4 of them. I can almost certainly guarantee you will be underwhelmed with a sealed counterpart, or even a pair after tasting that PB3000. That's a good solid ported sub and some big shoes to fill for a sealed package.

I'd suggest maybe stay in the SVS ecosystem, do a trade and get a pair of PC2000s. Or... I like the pair of ported Monolith THX 12s option too.

W

Winnipeg85

Audiophyte
There is no sealed or smaller option that will match a single PB3000 unless you get 3 or 4 of them. I can almost certainly guarantee you will be underwhelmed with a sealed counterpart, or even a pair after tasting that PB3000. That's a good solid ported sub and some big shoes to fill for a sealed package.

I'd suggest maybe stay in the SVS ecosystem, do a trade and get a pair of PC2000s. Or... I like the pair of ported Monolith THX 12s option too.
Unfortunately Canadians don’t get the option to trade up with SVS so it has already been sold.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

A pair of sealed subs will come up a bit short in deep bass compared to the ported sub, but everywhere else you will see a significant increase in headroom. And the sealed sub pair may be able to address some room modes that the ported could not. I don't think that a pair of sealed subs would be that underwhelming.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My SB4000 doesn't hit those 20s with authority, but it still has more than enough output and my room is quite large too. If that bottom octave is important to you, you may not love a sealed sub, but I prefer it for music. I do miss the deeper tones with some movies vs. my old Adire Tempest, but SPL has never been an issue and it takes up about 1/5th the space lol. I don't think dual sealed subs would disappoint either, depending on what you're after.

Billy106

Billy106

Audioholic Intern
What is your budget...we do have some cdn options available to us... albeit they come at a price ( funk audio or harbottle) any single 18 or 21 would likely be all you need...I've traveled down the PSA, SVS crossroads...in the past and I finally bit the bullet.

W

Winnipeg85

Audiophyte
What is your budget...we do have some cdn options available to us... albeit they come at a price ( funk audio or harbottle) any single 18 or 21 would likely be all you need...I've traveled down the PSA, SVS crossroads...in the past and I finally bit the bullet.
I hadn't heard of them, really nice stuff but definitely more than I was planning to spend. Ideally keep 2 subs below 3k. I can always drive to a parcel pickup across the boarder which is looking like the best option.

Billy106

Billy106

Audioholic Intern
I hadn't heard of them, really nice stuff but definitely more than I was planning to spend. Ideally keep 2 subs below 3k. I can always drive to a parcel pickup across the boarder which is looking like the best option.
Yes...reach out to Hsu and arrange for the most cost effective shipping solution. I know several yrs ago a vtf15h to my local here in the GTA with additional shipping or broker fees was ~$1500.00 increasing cost nearly 50%...all in. I've also bought PSA and SVS from our Canadian distributor....sub freight isn't cheap...good luck...in your final decision.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis