Passive Subwoofer - Receiver

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The point is that any money spent trying to make that HTIB sub anything usable is throwing good money after bad.

And, buying the subs you mention is quite financial commitment and he may not be ready, willing, or able to make that now, or at any time in the near future. That Dayton sub is doable by almost anyone, particularly when you consider it's less than that crown amp you recommended.

Not everyone is rich like you.

S

Seth Morrison

Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback guys! I love reading through the comments. So, I think I've decided to use very little of this system (except for maybe the rear speakers for now) and invest in something that'll be able to produce the sound that a 100"+ projector screen needs. I'm really interested in the BIC DV64's and DV84's (not sure what the difference is) and the F12 or H100 subwoofer. A friend of mine also told me to check out the JBL ES150 and ES250 subs, and their tower speakers as well. There are SO many options and it's quite overwhelming.. So again, I appreciate the feedback and help!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know I'm not the ONLY person who likes externally powered Subs. ;)
Agreed, but I still think you may be the only person who hates internally powered subs (your original words).

I think Gene may be another person who likes externally powered subs. :D
Agreed, but he also likes internally powered subs as witnessed by his recent purchase of JL Audio E112!
I still think you may be the only person who hates internally powered subs! Have you considered getting professional help! :D

My 1st 10" subwoofer was also Externally Powered - the NHT SW2P (MSRP $500, street price $400).
There used to be lots of passive subs, they have since become rather rare. Funny thing, that.
Along the way manufacturers figured out that they could add more control features, customize the amp to the driver and so forth to increase the capability and/or durability of the sub. For example, as regards the SVS SB 2000 & PB 2000:
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sv-sound-svs-sb-pb-2000
This amp has integrated DSP controls for fine-tuning your bass experience for your particular environment. While specifics are unavaliable, SVS says the STA-500D has, "an array of filters," as well as volume, gain, and phase controls. There is a frequency-dependent limiter/compressor algorithm with adjustable attack/release and compression parameters to protect your subwoofer performance from accidental volume increases.
I certainly appreciate that with an external amp and a unit like a mini-DSP you can tailor the sound, but unless you have enough extra sub that you have no concerns about pushing the limits, there is an added level of security in knowing the internal amp/dsp is selected to drive the sub by designers who are intimately familiar with the details of the driver, port tuning, etc. and that they have tested and proven the components to work well with one another.
When I played the intro to Edge of Tomorrow on dual SUB-1200's at high volume, there was content missing, but the subs never bottomed out and lived on to play another day. If I replaced the internal amp with your "one size fits all" Crown amp, I would not be surprised if the driver got cooked on the spot.

I have no vendetta against externally powered subs, but I think you should consider the specifics of the situation. I do not believe passive subs offer viable competition on a tight budget. It seems you agree with this statement since it was $750 before you suggested a passive option (and that is an in-floor/in-ceiling sub).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I certainly appreciate that with an external amp and a unit like a mini-DSP you can tailor the sound, but unless you have enough extra sub that you have no concerns about pushing the limits, there is an added level of security in knowing the internal amp/dsp is selected to drive the sub by designers who are intimately familiar with the details of the driver, port tuning, etc. and that they have tested and proven the components to work well with one another.
When I played the intro to Edge of Tomorrow on dual SUB-1200's at high volume, there was content missing, but the subs never bottomed out and lived on to play another day. If I replaced the internal amp with your "one size fits all" Crown amp, I would not be surprised if the driver got cooked on the spot.

I have no vendetta against externally powered subs, but I think you should consider the specifics of the situation. I do not believe passive subs offer viable competition on a tight budget. It seems you agree with this statement since it was $750 before you suggested a passive option (and that is an in-floor/in-ceiling sub).
Externally powered subs can definitely cost a lot more than internally powered subs.

But in this example, the OP could easily "borrow" an amp from Guitar Center and see how he likes the sub he has. It can't be any worse than those Bose bass modules. :D He could return the amp for a refund if it doesn't work out.

If he likes the sound of the sub & system (some people love Bose & HTIB sound), the $159 cost would be the most cost effective remedy.

If the OP had said' "Should I buy new speakers & sub?", the answer would have been unequivocally "hells yes!" :D

S

Seth Morrison

Enthusiast
UPDATE. I'm getting new speakers.. :) at least two towers and a center and sub. I may still use the rear yamaha for the time being..

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If he likes the sound of the sub & system (some people love Bose & HTIB sound), the $159 cost would be the most cost effective remedy.
Your making recommendations on the basis of the OP "loving Bose & HTiB sound" is exactly why I had to respond to your post.
Do you love Bose & HTiB? Why would you recommend it to someone coming here for advice? Especially, why encourage them to choose a HTiB path over the recommendations of MarkW and Anamorphic96?

If the OP had said' "Should I buy new speakers & sub?", the answer would have been unequivocally "hell yes!" :D
Yet you essentially chose to say "no" instead of "hell yes!" :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Your making recommendations on the basis of the OP "loving Bose & HTiB sound" is exactly why I had to respond to your post.
Do you love Bose & HTiB? Why would you recommend it to someone coming here for advice? Especially, why encourage them to choose a HTiB path over the recommendations of MarkW and Anamorphic96?

Yet you essentially chose to say "no" instead of "hell yes!" :D
Let me summarize and put this behind.

1. I recommend buying a nice system - as much as budget allows.

2. Only try out the cheap amp with the passive sub if you are curious. But it may not be worth the time.

3. Bose & all HTIB sucks.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Let me summarize and put this behind.

1. I recommend buying a nice system - as much as budget allows.

2. Only try out the cheap amp with the passive sub if you are curious. But it may not be worth the time.

3. Bose & all HTIB sucks.
Much better!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know all the brands that offer externally powered subs, but here is one example:

$250 - none
$500 - none
$750 - RBH SI-12 + Crown XLS1000
$1000 - RBH SX-1010N + Crown XLS1000
$1250 - RBH SX-1212N + Crown XLS1000
$1500 - RBH SX-1010N/R + Crown XLS1000
$1750 - RBH SX-1212N/R + Crown XLS1000
$2000 - RBH SX-1010N x 2 subs + Crown XLS1000
Aren't you an RBH dealer?

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Why does Maslow's Hammer come to mind?
Or perhaps Deformation Professionnelle...

Déformation professionnelle is a French phrase, meaning a tendency to look at things from the point of view of one's own profession rather than from a broader perspective. It is often translated as "professional deformation" or "job conditioning," though French déformation can also be translated as "distortion." The implication is that professional training, and its related socialization, often result in a distortion of the way one views the world.

However, in ADTG's defense, he does have quite extensive experience in various speakers. He's settled on what he likes, and doesn't hesitate to recommend it. I gotta say I do the same thing w/ Dennis Murphy's stuff. So although pretty predictable, I can't fault him for it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis