B

bigbwb

Audiophyte
NICE GEAR. I am interested in P5 so what about the sound. I am in between P5 or Emotiva USP-1 preamp.
I have had Model 2100 Preamp. and the sound was terrible.
Wow, first person I ran across who didn't like 2100. Don't bother with p5 then. Sonically they are similar.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, first person I ran across who didn't like 2100. Don't bother with p5 then. Sonically they are similar.
I figured that much, I compared a lot of preamps and I can say that the sound wouldn't sell one vs another, its always such a subtle difference and not usually something you can put your finger on.... Grab one that has the features you wan't -balanced outputs, built in dac, phono stage, sub control, dual subs, high pass crossover, tone control, bass boost, ect....

B

bigbwb

Audiophyte
^^^^ Yup, I agree. Subtle differences describe this caliber of gear. I liked the additional high pass xo settings of the P5 for my setup.

K

Kiza

Audiophyte
Welcome to the forum, I have a 2100 classic and I have the usp1, what sounded terrible about the 2100? If it was adding or taking away anything from the sound, there is something wrong, were you using the bass boost or tone control? For the most part the preamps and amps all sound the same, I have seen speakers reproduce material in different ways but amps and processors {unless you are eq'ing} should all sound about the same, as far as my ears can tell anyway...

I like my 2100 and I like my usp1, but if I had to choose between the p5 and the usp1 {don't forget the p5 has a built in dac}, I would rather have the usp1 for half the price, actually rite now you can buy a usp1, an xda2, and a umc200 for around what a p5 costs, so that would be the route I would take, obviously...
Thanks for welcoming me. What I did not like about 2100 are highs. Details were missing, or I'm used
to Bryston sound. Actually I need Preamp for my PC system. I have powered monitors and I was thinking
to include Preamp. and subwoofer. You are absolutely right about Emotiva. High pass & Low pass filters, all for $370.00 shipped. Next thing would be subwoofer. I was thinking to go with SVS SB-1000.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for welcoming me. What I did not like about 2100 are highs. Details were missing, or I'm used
to Bryston sound. Actually I need Preamp for my PC system. I have powered monitors and I was thinking
to include Preamp. and subwoofer. You are absolutely right about Emotiva. High pass & Low pass filters, all for $370.00 shipped. Next thing would be subwoofer. I was thinking to go with SVS SB-1000.

SB1000 sub is nice, I would go with 2 of them, I notice a much smoother integration with 2 subs vs 1, while you most likely wont need the added output that 2 subs will donate, you will appreciate how well 2 blend vs 1... I have played with this a lot, I have dual svs sb12's and with one you can pick out where the sub comes in with two it is seamless for some reason...

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Thought I'd bring up an old thread. I'm now ready to buy the P5, but could get my hands on a 1 yr old p7. My question is, for 2 channel would the p7 be an improvement sonically over the p5? I'm thinking cd source, Not phono as it seems to be accepted that the P7 is superior for phono.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For digital I would just use the Oppo HA-1. Obviously I will be buying that thing base on specs but then I am not the go by the ears type.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If it is under 1200 I will most likely pull the trigger, but still hope it gets below the price point of the 105. To me the 105 does a lot more. Too bad I cannot force myself to just buy a second 105 for my 2 channel Marantz/Parasound music system. It just sound and will look stupid.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Here's a link to the Stereophile review of the P5. JA is not impressed with its digital performance.

Parasound Halo P 5 2.1-channel D/A preamplifier | Stereophile.com
Sorry, I can't really put my finger on comments inferring he is not impressed with its digital performance, could you point that out? He mentioned an outboard DAC that he thought did better, but didn't say the P5 was inferior or lousy, what am I missing.

Also, I should clarify. I am wanting to compare the analog performance of the P5 and P7 when my Oppo 95 is doing the DAC work. It's probably pretty close, and I am presently leaning towards the P5.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry, I can't really put my finger on comments inferring he is not impressed with its digital performance, could you point that out? He mentioned an outboard DAC that he thought did better, but didn't say the P5 was inferior or lousy, what am I missing.
"As an analog preamplifier, Parasound's Halo P 5 is well engineered and offers excellent performance at an affordable price. The digital section, however, I feel should be regarded as more of a convenience than offering measured performance that matches that of the analog circuitry.—John Atkinson"

When JA says "more of convenience" I interpreted that as less than impressed. Also, reading the measurements for myself, I was less than impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That is one of those typical professional review that could induce throw up to some people.:D Its fulled with words like lush, texture, dry, chalky, liquid, etc.etc.,... what a pile of crap and bs. Waste of time to read as it isn't even entertaining.

I am sure the P5 and P7 will both sound great with any well made power amps, and that review is not going to change anything unless one takes those silly words seriously. If the prices are the same I would go with the P7.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
That is one of those typical professional review that could induce throw up to some people.:D Its fulled with words like lush, texture, dry, chalky, liquid, etc.etc.,... what a pile of crap and bs. Waste of time to read as it isn't even entertaining.
Yeah, I didn't even read the subjective part of the review. I only read the measurements section, but that's typical for me with Stereophile.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
"As an analog preamplifier, Parasound's Halo P 5 is well engineered and offers excellent performance at an affordable price. The digital section, however, I feel should be regarded as more of a convenience than offering measured performance that matches that of the analog circuitry.—John Atkinson"

When JA says "more of convenience" I interpreted that as less than impressed. Also, reading the measurements for myself, I was less than impressed.
Thanks, somehow I missed that part. But either way, it doesn't really help me decide if one or the other has better analog performance. I've asked this question at avs as well, and it seems obvious that among Parasound fans, no one really knows if the P7 or the P5 has a better analog section. Perhaps I should just try to see which deal I like better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, somehow I missed that part. But either way, it doesn't really help me decide if one or the other has better analog performance. I've asked this question at avs as well, and it seems obvious that among Parasound fans, no one really knows if the P7 or the P5 has a better analog section. Perhaps I should just try to see which deal I like better.
I suspect they use very similar analog circuitry, and I suspect they will sound identical. I've previously guessed that the P5 uses an IC-based output section, and I strongly suspect the P7 uses the same basic topology. Why not call Parasound and ask them?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
P7 has better specs, it must perform better but may not be audibly better to most people.

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
I tried to phone the P7 owner and AVS store after my last post and struck out on both counts. I can understand AVS being closed(left message) but someone selling a used P7 being unavailable at 7:30pm? Left a message and emailed him, still no response from a guy who wants 1400 for a P7. He's not winning any points, let's see if anyone gets back to me tomorrow.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I tried to phone the P7 owner and AVS store after my last post and struck out on both counts. I can understand AVS being closed(left message) but someone selling a used P7 being unavailable at 7:30pm? Left a message and emailed him, still no response from a guy who wants 1400 for a P7. He's not winning any points, let's see if anyone gets back to me tomorrow.
Can't you get a new one for a great price, now that the P5 is out? By the way, following is from another professional review, this time by S&V/HTM.

"Right off the bat, I was impressed with the sonic signature of the P 7, mainly because it really didn’t have one. I let the preamp break in for about a week before I did any serious listening, but I didn’t notice much, if any, change in performance. However, you need to be mindful of the components you’re positioning before it. The purpose of the P 7 is to give you a high- end, analog-preamp stage to complement your sourcecomponent choices. But those components are going to have just as much, if not more, influence on the sound as the P 7. The BDP-95 is, in my opinion, the most complementary piece of gear out there at the moment. Its analog-audio stage rivals just about anything I’ve ever had the privilege of hearing, and it costs a fraction of what most high-end transports cost. The pair made beautiful music together with my collection of CD, SACD, and DVD-Audio titles."

I realize the one from Stereophile was for the P5, but still, what a difference, given that one would think the P5 and P7 would have very similar design and componentry and the P5 have updated digital features. That's why I typically read professional reviews mainly for fun and not believe much of what they say, and I pay attention to the measurements only.

If you are after the best possible analog stage in the 2K price range, I think this is it. IMHO the P5 does not add anything to your setup since you have the Oppo (unless I got that mixed up). My Cambridge audio preamp was at the same price range, with lesser discount on the street and has no 7.1 analog in, no bass management and no phono stage. I opted for it instead of the P7 mainly because of concern of support and I do believe preamps design to be transparent especially those at the 2K price point will not have audible sonic signatures anyway. So best of luck in securing a good used one or a new one. After that, you will have one of the best sounding pair of amps for analog and digital as well using the pass through feature. The JC just get you more power.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis