Parasound Model 2100 Preamplifier

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Parasound has introduced the precision Model 2100 stereo preamplifier in its high-value NewClassic series of components for custom installation. The Model 2100 also offers a unique solution that enables audiophiles to add high-quality stereo reproduction to their existing or planned home theater without compromising performance for either music or movies.

Discuss "Parasound Model 2100 Preamplifier" here. Read the article.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I need one of these ... and I don't want to spend a lot. Anyone?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think I need one of these ... and I don't want to spend a lot. Anyone?
There is one on Ebay right now, but the seller only has 44 feedbacks.

Get a USP-1:)

When I was looking at a budget stereo pre-amp, it finally came down to the USP-1 vs 2100 and I ended up with the USP-1

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I saw that one on eBay but it had something wrong with it and a buy it now price of $450 and bidding started at $300. That hardly seemed like a bargain. I remember Warp talking about how that unit sounds and I've lusted for one since. Maybe you should get the Parasound and sell me your USP-1 for cheap. :D I could do that but me and MSRP don't work good together.

Edit: ... but watching this.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You looked at the USP-1 at emo site lately? They've had it discounted to $370 for a few weeks now. I'm thinking they might be clearing out stock and discontinuing since they finally got the XSP-1 to market. Heck, if anything it would be sell my USP-1 for the XSP-1 or to fund a pre-amp build. If I were more patient, I would have waited for XSP-1, but patience isn't always my best virtue, especially when electronics are concerned :D
USP-1 Stereo Preamp | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monoblock amplif

Anyway, the 2100 can't be considered audiophile grade because it has tone controls :D Of course, my opinion is that this is silly audiophool babel. I'm sure the 2100 is a nice product, and I'll bet you wouldn't notice a SQ difference compared to the USP-1.

Keep an eye on Audiogon for the 2100. Seems like the best deal I saw on Audiogon was maybe $500 used, so still not a great bargain.

Also, I run my USP-1 through a Parasound 1206. I like this amp due to 6 channels, 4 can be bridged to 2, loop switches, just a very flexible beast at ~100lbs though. If it's not on the 1206, then its pushing a self-built Dynaco ST-70.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a nice amp. Is 100 lbs maybe the shipping weight? I thought I saw that it 's weight listed at 71 lbs. Still a beast. I've been aware of the 2100 for a couple of years and it might take me a couple more to get there. :eek:

All I know for sure is that if anymore gear shows up around here I'm gonna need a more comfortable couch because my sectional isn't that comfortable to sleep on. ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That's a nice amp. Is 100 lbs maybe the shipping weight? I thought I saw that it 's weight listed at 71 lbs. Still a beast. I've been aware of the 2100 for a couple of years and it might take me a couple more to get there. :eek:

All I know for sure is that if anymore gear shows up around here I'm gonna need a more comfortable couch because my sectional isn't that comfortable to sleep on. ;)
Well, if you're always in the doghouse, then it might as well be a nice doghouse. Get your gear in there. Yeah, my GF is pretty tolerant, of course she probably doesn't know about 100% of my gear, but I'm not quite as bad as some of the other AH crew (yet).

Yeah, I exaggerated slightly by saying 100lbs, 70 is probably more accurate. Tell my back that after I carried it upstairs!

L

lizard84

Audiophyte
I acquired a Parasound 2100 pre in March from eBay for $365 shipped. It a very nice piece, I'm very pleased with it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Why? Just get an AVR instead :D

It would sound the same IMO and have more functions.

L

lizard84

Audiophyte
Ok...

I have a AVR, I won't wade into they all sound the same debate at this time, thanks. ;)

In my case, I was looking for an affordable 2 channel pre with HT bypass. It's a fine starting point until I have some internal upgrading preformed.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I read that parasound also has a new pre in their upmarket line that will be dubbed the P5, iirc digital inputs and bass management for 1400 bucks.
Cheers, Mac

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Alex...a very wise member once told me this.... "My best bet is waiting for a pissed off wife to be selling her husband's on Craigslist"....:p

M

Matt Thumann

Audiophyte
Good morning fellow 2017 New Parasound 2100 preamp owners. Time to see if any interest in talking the 2100 again after 3 years. I have wiring questions that I would appreciate thoughts on. My 24 y/o Dalquist Prelude Series speakers allow for some unconditional wiring options. I currently run HP to Parasound A21 which power the Dalquist Ca2 modules.(woofer/tweeter are gold plate bridged)
From the Sub out I run into An Emotiva XPA-200 which then run to the Dalquist W2 woofer bases. These are wired only into the woofer inputs. I DO NOT jump to tweeter posts as I am not passing signal thru to Ca2 above. Obviously with this configuration I DO NOT have the two modules (Ca2/W2) jumped together! They are run as separate units even though they lego stack on top of each other and with grills look like ONE speaker. Finally-From the main out I rca to a SVS Sb100. Having the LP to these bass modules gives me 100% control of mid bass to woofer module and I cross over at 100hz. The subwoofer control knob easily allows increases and I do enjoy that maxed(at 100hz again on back of Parasound) as the Dalquist W2's 2 6.5 woofers handle it well.. Now I tried traditional biamp with this system with modules jumped together and individually powering tweet and woofer posts and DID not like sound. Does this configuration max out what I can get? Any recommended other connections? I realize the LP is for sub control but the Dalquist W2 is mean efficient on the mid bass and enjoys all the juice I am sending them.. Should I ever rejoin the two speakers(ca2/w2) and drive them as 1? (for any Dalquists fans-the W2s were supposed to be powered by mono block amps which sadly never happened and Dalquist itself ended up fading into the sunset before they could be marketed.
Having different amps doesnt seem to be a problem with sound , in fact I've considered amping up the SVS sub with a Rotel 990 via speaker level from the mainout rca's! Fire away!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Good morning fellow 2017 New Parasound 2100 preamp owners. Time to see if any interest in talking the 2100 again after 3 years. I have wiring questions that I would appreciate thoughts on. My 24 y/o Dalquist Prelude Series speakers allow for some unconditional wiring options. I currently run HP to Parasound A21 which power the Dalquist Ca2 modules.(woofer/tweeter are gold plate bridged)
From the Sub out I run into An Emotiva XPA-200 which then run to the Dalquist W2 woofer bases. These are wired only into the woofer inputs. I DO NOT jump to tweeter posts as I am not passing signal thru to Ca2 above. Obviously with this configuration I DO NOT have the two modules (Ca2/W2) jumped together! They are run as separate units even though they lego stack on top of each other and with grills look like ONE speaker. Finally-From the main out I rca to a SVS Sb100. Having the LP to these bass modules gives me 100% control of mid bass to woofer module and I cross over at 100hz. The subwoofer control knob easily allows increases and I do enjoy that maxed(at 100hz again on back of Parasound) as the Dalquist W2's 2 6.5 woofers handle it well.. Now I tried traditional biamp with this system with modules jumped together and individually powering tweet and woofer posts and DID not like sound. Does this configuration max out what I can get? Any recommended other connections? I realize the LP is for sub control but the Dalquist W2 is mean efficient on the mid bass and enjoys all the juice I am sending them.. Should I ever rejoin the two speakers(ca2/w2) and drive them as 1? (for any Dalquists fans-the W2s were supposed to be powered by mono block amps which sadly never happened and Dalquist itself ended up fading into the sunset before they could be marketed.
Having different amps doesnt seem to be a problem with sound , in fact I've considered amping up the SVS sub with a Rotel 990 via speaker level from the mainout rca's! Fire away!
I don't see how this relates to a 2100???

Start a new thread.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis