Paradigm vs Def Tech 5.1 dillema

T

tlabatte

Enthusiast
Enjoy this forum. Learned a lot! Thanks

I am looking for a $2000 dollar 5.1 speaker system. Movies/sports are number 1 priority. The room is a 13x26 with only 13x13 used for movies. (The back half will be used for general purpose and will be able to watch movies/sports from afar)

I have listened to a million speakers and have boiled down to either the Definitive Technologies or the Paradigm products.

Def Techs would be: BP6B Fronts, ProCenter 2000, BP2X, ProSub 1000

Paradigm would be: Monitor Mini Fronts, CC290, ADP190, PDR10

My concerns are about the Deftechs back porting of the front speakers (too bassy when close to the wall?) and my Paradigm concern is the speaker size (Mini) for such a large room.

Any suggestions? I am pretty much fixed on these brands as these sounded fabulous to me. $2000 is my goal.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I would go with the Def Tech's, but instead of BP6 up front and BP2x for the surrounds, I would go with BP8 for the front, and BP1.2x for the surrounds. And they shouldn't be too bassy when close to the wall, in fact they shouldn't be too close to the wall anyway as they are bi polar and should be at least 1 to 2 feet (or more) from the wall anyway.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
I own the Mini's and the CC290 and love them. My room is a little bigger than yours and there is no problem with the sound. I even have vaulted ceilings (with no popcorn).I would find a different sub though. There are great subs out there for that price that will sound better. I don't know about the rears thought. I have Def Tech ones :D

T

tlabatte

Enthusiast
Thanks for your your comments, GlocksRock

Your suggestion of beefing up the Fronts and saving in the surrounds is a good suggestion. I will go to the dealer and try that option out. Do you beleive that the ProCenter 200 will still match nicely with this system? Going up to the C/L/R 2002 center (Like you have) adds what appears to be another $150.

Also, on the subject of the bipolar fronts... Not to sound trivial but it would seem strange to have Speakers sitting at least 2 feet out when I am dealing with a plasma on the wall. If I tighten up the gap to about 8 inches (maybe a foot) am I blowing the purpose of these speakers?

T

tlabatte

Enthusiast
Thank you Nick1000000

The Dealer also suggested that I upgrade the Sub. I do not have his recommendation with me but I beleive he mentioned a DSP 10? from Paradigm. I beleive he said they are brand new but I don't find them on the web. I will need to call them.

Glad to hear the Mini set up will work. I listened to both the atom and the Minis (as well as the Titan) and there was a minimal difference to me for Home Theater but a huge difference in music when going to the mini. I beleive it is worth the small cost increase.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for your your comments, GlocksRock

Your suggestion of beefing up the Fronts and saving in the surrounds is a good suggestion. I will go to the dealer and try that option out. Do you beleive that the ProCenter 200 will still match nicely with this system? Going up to the C/L/R 2002 center (Like you have) adds what appears to be another $150.

Also, on the subject of the bipolar fronts... Not to sound trivial but it would seem strange to have Speakers sitting at least 2 feet out when I am dealing with a plasma on the wall. If I tighten up the gap to about 8 inches (maybe a foot) am I blowing the purpose of these speakers?
You will always benefit by having a better cener channel, since > 50% of what you hear comes from the center channel. You can always put the front speakers as close to or as far away from the wall as you like, but you will experience a larger soundfield the further from the wall that they are. Placement is crucial with the bi polar front speakers, so you will just have to move them around until you find a spot where they sound right. Even with direct radiating speakers, they don't always sound best when placed against the wall. If you like the def tech sound, but don't want bi polar fronts, look into the mythos series as they may be better suited to your needs. My advice, and I'm sure others will echo my feelings as well, is to save up and do it right the first time, even if it takes longer. Get a good left, right, and center first, then add a sub and/or surrounds as you get the money. You will be better off upgrading piece by piece and having a nice system than to get everything all at once and only have decent equipment. And by all means get a really good sub, it makes such a huge difference in your listening experience, and you won't know it until you go from a crappy/decent sub, to a really nice sub.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis