Paradigm unleashes a little monster of a sub.

Unobtainium

Unobtainium

Audioholic Intern
I don't think they fudged it. They did not know how to interpret their data.

This unit is very similar to the small Sunfire.

Basically they have contrived to make a huge resonance at 20 Hz. Most of the rest of the output is in fact distortion in my opinion. I see that the output above the 20 Hz peak ripple seems to consists of the second harmonic but to a greater extent the ugly 3rd and 5th harmonics.

I would bet that is an ugly one noter like the Sunfire.

Also its spl is puny and any decent sized room would dwarf it.
Still confused. What are we reading into the data that he didn't disclose?
I've seen tests where the distortion was almost 13%.
He claims 8% distortion, which is a lot. The harmonic first harmonic is about 22dB less than the peak on the fundamental.
The secrets test of the pb-12 plus shows 10% Thd at 101dB at 20 hz.
It doesn't show the graph, but plots it onto a sheet readout.
I speed read it, and didn't see a mention of their test position in regards to the room. Tom Nousaine did a test I read that involved having the sub in an optimal corner.
The testing is incomparable unless consistent. What other subs were tested by S&V in the manner the 110 was tested by the same guy? Those would be comparable and shed some light.

Unobtainium

Unobtainium

Audioholic Intern
I found a VeLodyne mini-vee tested by the same guy in the same manner.
It had 2.4 dB more output at 31.5hz, but at about 5 times the distortion.
It costs half as much as the Paradigm.
The Pc-13 ultra measured better than the 110 by about 2% at 20hz when reading from the top ports. This is the most beneficial place to measure that design.
It seems that sub could go a little lower, but he didn't mention much about max SPL. Given it's same price, larger size, and ported enclosure, it doesn't measure worlds better.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Still confused. What are we reading into the data that he didn't disclose?
I've seen tests where the distortion was almost 13%.
He claims 8% distortion, which is a lot. The harmonic first harmonic is about 22dB less than the peak on the fundamental.
The secrets test of the pb-12 plus shows 10% Thd at 101dB at 20 hz.
It doesn't show the graph, but plots it onto a sheet readout.
I speed read it, and didn't see a mention of their test position in regards to the room. Tom Nousaine did a test I read that involved having the sub in an optimal corner.
The testing is incomparable unless consistent. What other subs were tested by S&V in the manner the 110 was tested by the same guy? Those would be comparable and shed some light.
Look at the graph of the 20 Hz tone, and see where the peaks lie. It gives the game away. Do speakers have to huge?b Pretty much, yes!

C

clouso

Banned
I found a VeLodyne mini-vee tested by the same guy in the same manner.
It had 2.4 dB more output at 31.5hz, but at about 5 times the distortion.
It costs half as much as the Paradigm.
The Pc-13 ultra measured better than the 110 by about 2% at 20hz when reading from the top ports. This is the most beneficial place to measure that design.
It seems that sub could go a little lower, but he didn't mention much about max SPL. Given it's same price, larger size, and ported enclosure, it doesn't measure worlds better.
with time and some advices later i understand now that a bigger enclosur and bigger driver will give you that SPL and output...in fact that was very simple to understand...so when a manufacturer tells me that a 12 incher will play as low as 16Hz sorry i dont swallow it anymore.....guys here teached me well......i just cant wait to get that 15incher HSU.....just to see the difference...cause it will stand at the exact same place then the sub12 i had....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Even if he sits on top of it he's not going to hear 18hz at 80dB.
Does anyone hear 18Hz? I suspect it would be good for mixing drinks though as I don'tecall any other 10" sub diving that low. ;)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Does anyone hear 18Hz? I suspect it would be good for mixing drinks though as I don'tecall any other 10" sub diving that low. ;)
18hz is supposedly the resonant frequency of the human eyeball :D

It could very much give you an effect like LSD :D :eek:

Unobtainium

Unobtainium

Audioholic Intern
with time and some advices later i understand now that a bigger enclosur and bigger driver will give you that SPL and output...in fact that was very simple to understand...so when a manufacturer tells me that a 12 incher will play as low as 16Hz sorry i dont swallow it anymore.....guys here teached me well......i just cant wait to get that 15incher HSU.....just to see the difference...cause it will stand at the exact same place then the sub12 i had....
As I have learned of late, matching the enclosure and amplifier to the driver is most important, not just bigger is better. Also, it depends on what you want.
Like I said, I really am happy with 20hz extension, as I can't hear any lower, and that low of frequency gives me plenty of tactile output. I really just want good control and power between 30-80hz.
My dual 12's come tomorrow, as long as they do that, I'm happy. 10 hz is not a realistic goal for my listening, and I place aesthetics higher than some in terms of priority.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
the 110 cant get those results..sorry....i am now not trusting any professional reviewers as i think they are all paid by manufacturers...........ppfftt...yeah were stupid!..i will only trust partial and independant reviews........
Gene, Inspector Clouso just called your gig man!! :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis