Paradigm Studio Series

04rex

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys, just looking for some opinions. Doing a Home theatre set up in the basement. I have pretty much narrowed the speakers down to the Sub 12, and CC-590 with in wall rears. I just cant decide whether i should get the Studio 20s or the Studio 60s for the fronts. What would sound the best with this system? Do either of these speaerks even match the cc-590 center? It would be used primarily for Home Theatre.

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That question would have been easier if they offered the 40s still, but the 20s with a good sub can definitely compete with the 60s. If you will do any music listening without the sub, the the 60s are the way to go, but if you intend to use the sub all the time, I'd put the difference in price toward the sub purchase and go with 20s.

04rex

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for your input. The Sub i would be getting is the Paradigm Studio Sub 12 (which is a killer sub). The Sub would always be on with music or obvisouly movies. Most of the viewing would be movies. Which will match the cc-590 better and give the better sound? Like i said, majority is movies. So i want good bass eresponse, midrange respnse and highs. I just want to make sure i get the best matching fronts for the CC-590.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You will get more midrange from the 60s due to the multi-driver setup, and obviously more bass as well, but with a good sub, that bass is less extension is somewhat less of a benefit. An ideal match would be identical driver arrays so the 60s would technically be closer to that ideal, but both should be perfectly timbre matched to the center, as has always been the case with the Paradigm lines.

The Sub12 may be a good sub (I am not familiar with 'digm's current subs), but for the money you can often get a lot more sub by going to a internet direct company like HSU, SVS, Epik, etc...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Seriously, Take the money you might have spent on a Sub12 and Studio60's and buy Hsu VTF-15H and Paradigm Signature S-2's.
You are right that the Sub12 in not a bad sub, but you can get a better sub without spending that much money by going Internet Direct.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I like KEW's suggestion. The S1's are pretty amazing for such a small speaker, but the matching center would be more expensive too. If your main concern is movies, I think you will be perfectly happy with with the Studio 20's and a good sub. It all comes down to how much you want to spend. Nothing wrong with going with the 60's either.

Unobtainium

Unobtainium

Audioholic Intern
Get a sub 12 from 6ave quick before they are gone. $1200 is a good deal for one. 6 ave electronics. It's a great sub.

04rex

Audioholic Intern
I would buy it from 6ave, but they dont ship to Canada.

04rex

Audioholic Intern
I ended up gettign the Studio 60's witht the CC-590 center. Only problem now is that the wife doesnt like that the center is much bigger and fatter in comparison with the Studio 60's. So, i have thought about it and have 2 choices. I can either upgrade the fronts to the 100's and pay more money (dont really want to do this), or i can downgrade the center to the CC-490 and save some money, which is good becasue i still need to buy a receiver, rears and possibly a second sub.

My question is, is there a HYUGE differnce between the CC-590 and CC-490 in terms of sound quality and all that? I know the 100's will be a big leap forward compared to the 60's, but i am not so sure about the center. Is it worth keeping the 590 and getting the 100's and spending more money? (which i can do, but wouldn't feel good about especially since there is still more to come. But that feeling might go away after hearing it all. LOL)

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Does the dealer where you got them have both the 490 and 590 for you to listen to in the same room? Go listen to it. IMO, since you didn't go 100s, you don't need the 590, and I'd probably put that money towards an amp/receiver myself since you are leaning that way already :)

04rex

Audioholic Intern
Unfortunately he doesnt. I dont think he even has one out on display to be honest. I dont remember seeing it. I think i am leaning that way as well, but i just want to make sure that i am not making a huge mistake by just keeping the 590 and upgrading to the 100s. By saving money and downgrading to teh 490, am i sacrificing a lot where i will regret it?

The 60's sound very good so far. As does the 590.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't listened to the current ones, but with the previous models I thought the 5xx center was overkill. 590 has a -3dB of 55Hz vs the 490s 65Hz. Yes, it sounds great, but with it crossed over, I doubt you would notice a big difference. The 490 has the same 5 1/4" drivers that the 60s do, vs the 590's 7" drivers that are from the 100s. I'd say the 490 is a safe bet.

You drive a WRX?

04rex

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for your help j_garcia. I think i am going to go that route. I thought the same thing about driver size as well. The crossover thing i didnt notice. So thanks for that. Plus, i can use the extra money and get the Anthem MRX receiver. So better receiver.

And yes, i do drive a WRX. 04 WRX in Aspen white. You drive one as well?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis