paradigm studio 100v5 vs kef r700 vs goldenear triton 2 help

C

chirag1165

Audiophyte
hello people,

So I finally got the funds to buy a good stereo setup. It’s all part of a bigger plan to build a 5.1 or maybe even a 7.1 system .so it’s very important i get the foundation right.I have a cool 2 lakhs budget for the speakers and maybe 70 grand more for the A/V receiver .i auditioned the PARADIGM STUDIO 100 v5, KEF R700 and the GOLDENEAR TRITON 2 as they are all approximately in the same price range .i could audition the goldenear triton 2's for only about ten minutes.so i have to go back for a complete audition at least for an hour the way i auditioned the other two speakers namely the studio 100 and the r700. I also auditioned the Kef q900 which is about rupess 90,000.

now I'm no expert and at best a wannabe audiophile have some clue as to the vocabulary people with trained ears use to describe sound yet I am fascinated with good quality sound and imaging and clarity etc. so in my limited knowledge let me describe what I thought of each one of them because quite frankly I am confused and would love for you guys who have heard these speakers or own these speakers to tell me your impressions of them so that I can make the right decision because quite frankly I’m CCConfused!
Played some familiar tracks and some audiophile test tracks.

1)paradigm studio 100 v5-- These floor standers are freaking huge. They have enormous presence and look good with or without the front grill. Firstly they were not amplified by one of the more exotic or quality oriented expensive amplifiers. Instead they were hooked to a denon avr which was somewhere in their top of the line range I think pumping out 150w.The room was acoustically corrected too and by that I mean special material was used on the walls to improve/absorb sound.

SOUND QUALITY-good, good bass, engaging plays very loud without losing composure. Felt the female vocals a bit shrill at high volumes. Overall I liked what I heard .in my opinion the studio 100’s are more home theater centric ....i told you guys I'm not good with explaining sound so please bear with me

2.)KEF R700--- these floor standing speakers look sexyyy . In comparison the studio 100’s look like hmmmmm let say Schwarzenegger tough and strong.the KEF R700 too were connected to a denon avr. they too pumped about 150/165 watts.

SOUND QUALITY-AGAIN GOOD. Clarity was better and so were the vocals. They were smooth.....BUT at the cost of some bass...tracks that dint have a lot of bass in them were good. Put on psytrance hip-hop or any track with bass( I remember trying boom boom pow by the black eyed peas)and its missing the impact the STUDIO 100 had. yes I know that I’m going to get a subwoofer later on as part of my plan to build a 7.1 home theater so maybe the lack of bass impact is not such a bad thing.The kef r700 are more music centric. So yea overall good sound.

3.)GOLDENEAR TRITON 2--None of the speakers on this list are as controversial as the goldear triton 2's.These speakers have got rave reviews all over the internet but have got mixed reviews by actual owners and people who have demo'd them. They were the last speakers I auditioned and I didn’t get much time with them, say about 10 mins and I was pretty tired because the studio 100’s were in andheri (W) in a shop called “THE SHOP” and the r700 were in worli atria mall. The triton 2’s were in worli too. So I’m definitely gonna go back to audition them properly.

4.)Kef Q900—looked like any other floor stander. Nothing special. They retail for around rupees 90,000 only as opposed to the other speakers on this list that are double its price.
SOUND QUALITY—good sound quality .Did a lot of A/B ing with the r700 and the q900.now dare I say I could not hear much difference between them and the other speakers.yea the bass was again good. It was not boomy but controlled ad impactful at the cost of some clarity. It had the impact in bass centric songs that the R700 lacked. I’m speaking relatively of course. Listen to the r700 on their own and you won’t notice then heard the Q900 5.1 system. The guy guy played transformers dark side of the moon blu-ray. One word….AAAAwesome. The whole q900 5.1 setup retails for around the amount I would pay for the 2.0 setup of the other speakers. Confusedddd.
Now im aware that if maybe the studio 100’s and the R700 were paired with a better more expesive amplifier they would really show me what they are capable of and I would be able to hear a major difference in sound quality vs the Q900.AS of now the Av Rim gonna go for is either the Marantz 6007 or the Denon 2313.Confusedddd
So people please tell me what do I do. To all the people who own them have heard them or people who themselves need help please feel free to help discuss suggest and ask questions to help me make the best and right decision.

Thanks!

UPDATE!
Today i heard the GOLDENEAR TRITON 2'S at audio vision india, fort mumbai

GOLDENEAR TRITON 2'S--- They had the Tritons hooked to a 150w Onkyo AVR.They are relatively good looking,slender floor standers dressed up in black cloth. the room in which i heard the speakers was not acoustically treated.

SOUND QUALITY-the minute i started listening to them i knew there was something wrong.it just didn't sound good. the guy assisting me agreed too.the problem was the placement of the speakers.there was too much reverb going on. So we changed the location and placed it faraway from walls and other objects on the sides of the speakers.Now they sounded good.let me tell you the imaging on these speakers is freakinn crazy. i mean close your eyes and you can feel and pinpoint where the singer and the different instruments are playing in front of you as if they speakers arent there.but you have to feed them high quality flac or wave tracks to really enjoy them after all what you give is what you get. But the bass. i was not so sure about the bass. i mean the bass was there a lot of it since it has a built in 1200 w subwoofer but it was not controlled.maybe the AVR was not setup up appropriately.maybe because i heard it in room which was not acoustically corrected.so the audio vision dude is setting up the the tritons 2's as well as the B&W cm9 in one of their acoustic rooms to test the speakers tomorrow.lets see if there any difference in sound quality.so yeah good highs and mids but bass not so much but im giving them the benefit of the doubt

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I've got the GE 2's for HT connected to a Denon 4311. They sound pretty darn good to us.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
So people please tell me what do I do. To all the people who own them have heard them or people who themselves need help please feel free to help discuss suggest and ask questions to help me make the best and right decision.

Thanks!
We can't tell you what to do, because our opinions may differ than yours. I know which I'd purchase out of those four if it was me (Kef R700), but you need to decide. Did you connect with one pair more than the others? Did you get goosebumps or did the hair stand up on your arms while listening to any of them? Did any get too fatiguing to listen to after a while? Something had to have stood out...

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
I also felt boomy bass from the triton 2. If you are planning to get a sub, I would say avoid the GE triton 2s with their built in subs.

I compared the R700 to the Studio 60(the little brother of the studio 100) and liked the R700 better. Never heard the Q series.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
It appears to those that heard boomy bass, I would think wherever you heard them, the dealer most likely didn't have the crossover settings correct on the AVR/processor. I had boomy bass until I finely got the speakers set correctly with my AVR. But I do like Kef's but there where no dealers within 1000 miles that had the R series. Regarding any speaker, its how they are set up with the equipment being used and the room their playing in. When I first got my AVR and GE's I also had my Rythmik D15se connected, while good, one day I removed the sub and configured the GE without a sub, and after a couple hundred hours, I removed the sub from the system and I now use it in my 2chl room.. Currently today my GE's are set at the 10 o'clock position and it's clean bass, not boomy.

glad that your doing demo's, that way the speaker will suit your taste and not someone's else.

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In direct mode (bypass Audyssey or other EQ) the AVR & amps won't matter much. If you hear differences, it is due to the speakers themselves, room, placement, & setup. I know when people analyze some speakers, they may find theoretical and technical compromises. But in this list of contenders, I believe the Q900 will sound as good as any.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
In direct mode (bypass Audyssey or other EQ) the AVR & amps won't matter much. If you hear differences, it is due to the speakers themselves, room, placement, & setup. I know when people analyze some speakers, they may find theoretical and technical compromises. But in this list of contenders, I believe the Q900 will sound as good as any.
Have you compared the Kef Q's to the R's? The R's are noticeably better throughout the upper mids and treble region (no edginess at all in comparison to the Q900), but I don't know if they are worth the cost increase. That's something the OP needs to decide. Based on him saying he didn't hear much difference it would probably be wise to go with the Q's and get the matching center and rears, all for the price of one pair of R's.

C

chirag1165

Audiophyte
thanks alot for the replies people.im suprised no one is suggesting the studio 100's.i am still confused.they all sound pretty good.cant make up mind....im gonna audition dali and def techs too...but i dont want to buy speakers that were released like 5 years ago...just might go for the most recently released speakers on the list

C

chirag1165

Audiophyte
Alright I'm back to where I started cause being new to the audiophile world I just learnt that the amp has to be really good to drive speakers of this caliber and a midrange avr wont do it justice. So I have decided to go for a lower price range speakers and spend the rest on a quality stereo amp and later on upgrade my speakers. Any thoughts suggestions???

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Alright I'm back to where I started cause being new to the audiophile world I just learnt that the amp has to be really good to drive speakers of this caliber and a midrange avr wont do it justice. So I have decided to go for a lower price range speakers and spend the rest on a quality stereo amp and later on upgrade my speakers. Any thoughts suggestions???

I think the amp will do jack for your SQ. :D

For budget limitations, I would put most of the money on speakers & subs, and about $300 on a Crown XLS1000 200wpc amp or just use the AVR.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It appears to those that heard boomy bass, I would think wherever you heard them, the dealer most likely didn't have the crossover settings correct on the AVR/processor. I had boomy bass until I finely got the speakers set correctly with my AVR. But I do like Kef's but there where no dealers within 1000 miles that had the R series. Regarding any speaker, its how they are set up with the equipment being used and the room their playing in. When I first got my AVR and GE's I also had my Rythmik D15se connected, while good, one day I removed the sub and configured the GE without a sub, and after a couple hundred hours, I removed the sub from the system and I now use it in my 2chl room.. Currently today my GE's are set at the 10 o'clock position and it's clean bass, not boomy.

glad that your doing demo's, that way the speaker will suit your taste and not someone's else.
That was my first thought--- what was the dial set to? I'm running at about the 9-10 O'clock position as well, not boomy. For music, it is great. For movies, I let my F15HP do the heavy lifting.

Last edited by a moderator:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You won't need a big bad amp on those GEs. They have built in amps. GE even says that Sandy runs his off low power SET amps.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
As long as the amp is well designed you shouldn't need a mega amp as long as it's providing enough juice to the speakers. Spend most of your money on the speakers and the necessary room treatments.

Forgive me if I missed this, but what is your current amp or receiver?

C

chirag1165

Audiophyte
I don't have any equipment. Im starting anew!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Alright I'm back to where I started cause being new to the audiophile world I just learnt that the amp has to be really good to drive speakers of this caliber and a midrange avr wont do it justice. So I have decided to go for a lower price range speakers and spend the rest on a quality stereo amp and later on upgrade my speakers. Any thoughts suggestions?

I don't know where you leant that from. My impression so far is that around here people are telling you to focus on picking your speakers as they are the real bottleneck. Bigger amps are generally better of course but you reach the point of diminishing return much quicker with them, whereas for speakers there are almost no end to that in a sense. Speakers have much higher distortions of all sorts, poorer frequency responses, more prone to erratic/fluctuating complex impedance characteristics, off axis issues, and have to deal with 3 dimensional room issues. Amps face none of those room acoustic related issues and much smaller issues in terms of distortions and frequency response. In fact, most mid range AVRs have some sort of room EQ features included to help your speaker deal with room issues.

My suggestion is the same as others have said so far, get your favorite speakers first, then pick your AVR/Amp, with or without our help. Many of us here have great satisfaction with low cost Emotiva amps and pro amps so no big deal if you need more power. The Studio 100 will do slightly better in bass than the R700 but will still be lacking compare to a good sub. The R700 should, on paper, offer a more balance/accurate sound but you have to go by your ears, we can only offer opinions, once we get pass what's on paper.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the majority of the forum members own Paradigm speakers. Probably even 50%. :eek:

Paradigm may not be preferred by some, but these speakers must sound pretty good to the Paradigm owners. Some crazy people think Paradigm actually sound better than DefTech. :eek: ;) :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
That was my first thought--- what was the dial set to? I'm running at about the 9-10 O'clock position as well, not boomy. For music, it is great. For movies, I let my F15HP do the heavy lifting.
Agree with movies I've found an external sub worked a lot better, but the WAF won over at the home...My sub went upstairs for my 2 chl system., but she likes the movie sound of the GE's so she won and the family room is her's so to speak. We played a lot with placement and acoustic treatments so to us, the GE's are doing pretty good...

C

CHASLS2

Audioholic Intern
I think the majority of the forum members own Paradigm speakers. Probably even 50%. :eek:

Paradigm may not be preferred by some, but these speakers must sound pretty good to the Paradigm owners. Some crazy people think Paradigm actually sound better than DefTech. :eek: ;) :D
I know my Sig 2v3's sound good.

C

chirag1165

Audiophyte
i'm adding the DALI MENTOR 8/6 and MONITOR AUDIO GX 200 to the list of possible speaKERS. hoW ARE DALI speaker speakers in comparison

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis