Paradigm Studio 100's at Audiogon

M

m5isa540

Audioholic Intern
I am considering purchasing a pair of Paradigm Studio 100 V4 speakers from a seller on Audiogon. The seller wants $1700 and is willing to send them COD so I can inspect them before final purchase. What concerns me is that this is one heck of an aggressive price considering these guys sell for $2600 new. How do people sell $2600 speakers for $1700? This makes me skeptical. Has anyone here used Audiogon to purchase big ticket items like this? Lots of good feedback on this seller.

Thanks...

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Generally, if they have a lot of good feedback, you're probably okay.

I've purchased items on there in that price ballpark, not necessarily that high. Keep in mind, it's after-market/used, so the price might be a reflection of what the seller thinks the market will bear vs what he or she truly believes they're worth. Maybe they're a demo product, or maybe they're just looking for a quick sale. Could be a number of reasons. Perhaps you could inquire about the seemingly low price. Good feedback is usually a good starting point, but as always, caveat emptor.

C

cubbie5150

Audioholic Intern
Personally, I think a used consumer electronic item better be "cheap" relative to it's MSRP... Otherwise, I'd just buy new... Unless I could get "significant" savings, I see no reason to not buy new instead...sellers on Audiogon have to understand that thinking, because I would assume they think the same way when buying...

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
I bought a pair of studio 20's last year from audiogon.. had no problems and got a great deal on them.

$1700 for a $2600 pair of speakers sounds fair to me.. Dont forget the cost of shipping though

M

m5isa540

Audioholic Intern
Final deal was $2500 for NEW Paradigm Studio 100's and NEW CC590 center. This price includes shipping. This was my first Audiogon transaction and it seemed to go smoothly. I will follow up when I receive my merchandise to verify that I got what was advertised. I have no reason to think otherwise. Pending this completion, I will then order two Studio 40's from the same guy for about 1/2 of retail.

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Sounds sweet.. wish i had some cash :) Let us know how they were packed and what cosmetic condition they were in.

Good luck

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
I looked on audiogon.. i wasnt able to find the listing.. can you provide link?
thanks

M

m5isa540

Audioholic Intern
I used a link for a Paradigm CC590 V4 center on Audiogon. The price was good so I asked if he had Studio 100's. He did, and that price was good. Also asked if he had Studio 40's. He did. I will buy them if what I ordered comes in good condition. The company is Glicco Sales and they have no complaints posted on Audiogon.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
sounds fair overall, I wouldn't foresee any problems.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Glicco sales, is a dealer....

He is good seller.. and has good feedback....

I didn't buy from him, but I bought my Paradigm S4's and C3 in Rosewood from Agon... Was a great deal. The S4's were unopened box, and the C3 from a reputable guy over at AVS, I saved a boatload of money, and they are awesome speakers.

Agon should yield you at least 40% off IMO, and to me thats a good deal.

I pretty much bought my entire second system from Audiogon, otherwise I couldn't have afforded the stuff new... :)

O

OutlawNut

Audioholic Intern
I am considering purchasing a pair of Paradigm Studio 100 V4 speakers from a seller on Audiogon. The seller wants $1700 and is willing to send them COD so I can inspect them before final purchase. What concerns me is that this is one heck of an aggressive price considering these guys sell for $2600 new. How do people sell $2600 speakers for $1700? This makes me skeptical. Has anyone here used Audiogon to purchase big ticket items like this? Lots of good feedback on this seller.

Thanks...
I can tell you that fedex or Ups isnt going to let you open the Package before they are paid for. When you do pay for them its to late.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Don't sweat it.... Glicco is a upstanding guy, and wouldn't cr@p on you...

I have had dealings with his counterpart, and have not one single problem...

D

DaveHo

Audioholic
I bought a Parasound Z-Select from him before. Item came new as advertised. Just be aware you are SOL if you need warranty work. That was the issue I had. One of the speaker outputs went down. Not a big deal as I didn't need all of them.

-Dave

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I bought my Dali's on audiogon as well and everything went smoothly. Speakers arrived in pristine condition and haven't had any problems.

M

m5isa540

Audioholic Intern
They arrive this Friday (5/23).... I will send an update then.

G

GSpecialty

Audiophyte
Paradigm Values

Any time you see an MSRP for Paradigm Speakers, the dealer paid exactly half of that price... just so you know how much you have to bargain with. I imagine higher volume dealers get even better rates from Paradigm and widen that Gap a little further.

M

m5isa540

Audioholic Intern
My order from the Audiogon seller showed up Friday as promised. The order contained one CC590 Center Channel and two Studio 100's. The UPS guy unloaded everything into my garage for me. The boxes were larger than I expected and heavy. The CC 590 box was in pretty good shape and the two Studio 100 boxes looked a little banged up. There was also a fourth package that contained the grill covers for the Studio 100's.

First I unpacked the CC590. As promised, it was wrapped in bubble pack plus the original packing. It was in perfect condition. Next I tackled one of the Studio 100 boxes. As promised, it was also wrapped in bubble pack. I opened the top and flipped the box over and slid the speaker and packing material onto a carpeted surface. After a few minutes removing bubble pack and original packing I found a perfectly intact Studio 100 speaker. The second speaker was in the same condition. The sniff test indicated these were new or very near new speakers. Then I checked labels on the speaker to make sure everything was V4. They were all V4's. Excellent!

The only casualty was the speaker grills for the Studio 100's. The seller had to remove them from the speaker box's to make room for bubble packing. So they were shipped separately. Unfortunately, there were not packed as carefully as the speakers. The fabric had holes punched in it from the mounting stakes, several of the mounting stakes had broken off, and the plastic frame on one grill was cracked nearly in half. I contacted the shipper and he immediately agreed to send new grills.

Next, I hauled everything into my Home Theater room. It is down to flights of stairs and I used a hand truck to move the Studio 100's. Next I hooked everything up, switched on the AVR 4308, and listened to some music CD's (Jazz, Classical, Dianna Krull, Bob Dylan). Then I played King Kong to see how they performed in big loud Theater applications. These speakers are amazing no matter what you throw at them. And the improvement over my DefTech BP10’s (now used as surround rear speakers) is beyond what I expected.

This was a good experience and the guys at Glicco did a near excellent job packing everything up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis