Paradigm Studio 100 with which receiver??

C

caesar-vvv

Enthusiast
Hello Experts,

I'm thinking of getting new speakers and have settled on the Paradigm's Studio 100's but need some help in deciding which receiver to get.

I had narrowed it down to the Denon 4311, 3311 or the Yamaha A2000 but the guy at the local store was recommending the Marantz SR7005.

The plan is to use the speakers predominately for music and the plan is to add to the setup over time.

Currently I do not have any other hardware in place.

Thanks in advance!

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
Any of those are fine. Pick the receiver that has the feature set you need/want.

Definitely, those speakers will benefit from more watts so, if you like loud, plan on pre-outs to support an amplifier later.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, any of those AVRs will be just fine. Sound quality will all be great. I'm sure everyone will have his own favorite pick.

My pick would be the Denon 4310 since you can get it brand new on amazon.com for 51% OFF!

What other speakers did you compare the Paradigm to?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Any of those are fine. Pick the receiver that has the feature set you need/want.

Definitely, those speakers will benefit from more watts so, if you like loud, plan on pre-outs to support an amplifier later.
If it were 60s maybe, but for 100s, I'd definitely be planning for an amp.

C

caesar-vvv

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reponses fellas. The other speakers that I've listened to are the Paradigm's Monitor 11's, PMC's GB01 and Monitor Audio RX 6 & 8.

I'm probably not going to be listenening to it very loud anytime in the near future but then would like the option to be able to add an amp later.

The other problem is that the room is pretty small (5 meters by 4 meters) which opens out into the dining/kitchen area. Should I be considering smaller speakers in this case?

C

caesar-vvv

Enthusiast
Yes, any of those AVRs will be just fine. Sound quality will all be great. I'm sure everyone will have his own favorite pick.

My pick would be the Denon 4310 since you can get it brand new on amazon.com for 51% OFF!
I did compare the 4310 to the 3310 and the 4310 seems to be the way to go. The only difference that I could find was that the 4310 was HDMI 1.3v and the 3311 was 1.4. Will this make a big difference?

C

caesar-vvv

Enthusiast
Not really. Its pretty small actually with one side opening out into the kitchen/dining area.

RRogers888

Audiophyte
I did compare the 4310 to the 3310 and the 4310 seems to be the way to go. The only difference that I could find was that the 4310 was HDMI 1.3v and the 3311 was 1.4. Will this make a big difference?
HDMI 1.3 is normal for all 2D devices, only HDMI 1.4 supports 3D TV so if you want your amp to pass through the 3D signal get 1.4

(first post) :rolleyes:

R

RipcordAFF

Audioholic Intern
I have found they pair particularly well with Anthem gear...surprise surprise

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I had narrowed it down to the Denon 4311, 3311 or the Yamaha A2000 but the guy at the local store was recommending the Marantz SR7005.

Thanks in advance!
Apparently the Marantz SR7005 and the Denon AVR3311 are twins, not identical but still twins. The 4311 is rated for 4 ohms so it may be fine to drive one pair of those 100s for stereo music listening. Any more than that add an amp.

davidrpalermo

davidrpalermo

Audiophyte
I also own a pair of Studio 100s and have a Marantz sr7007. My speakers are bi-amped and I also used Audessey built into the Marantz. The sound is good but I think I can get better sound out of them. Do any of you any ideas on what else may help with this? I don't care abou surround sound or movie watching. I do have it connected to AppleTV but my primary motive is for music listening. I also enjoy 24/192 FLAC listening. Would a separate amp help or would I be wasting money?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What can someone deduce from the impedence measurements on the 100's?
This was 6 years ago. :D

But looking at it 6 years later (today), I can see that the impedance is under 4 ohms in the bass region from 70Hz to 400Hz. But above 4 ohms from above 400Hz.

This is probably the main reason I like to set my XO to about 120Hz or 150Hz as long as I don't get "localization" of the sub sound (I can't remember the exact setting now). I prefer to let my subwoofer/amp handle this region.

So my opinion today is that overall this speaker isn't that difficult to power and any good 100WPC AVR or amp should be fine, especially if you also have a subwoofer to handle the bass.

But as always, I would never crank the volume too high for ANY SPEAKER or SYSTEM. :D

The only people who have to worry are the people who listen too loudly; in which case, most speakers would be at risk of breaking.

Last edited:
JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I guess what i'm asking, can these measurements show us something other than just impedence? Various resonances perhaps.

This belongs in another thread though.

Oh and I cant imagine that ADTG would EVER listen at loud volumes, what with all that RBH goodness. I know I would. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I guess what i'm asking, can these measurements show us something other than just impedence? Various resonances perhaps.

This belongs in another thread though.

Oh and I cant imagine that ADTG would EVER listen at loud volumes, what with all that RBH goodness. I know I would. :D
Yeah, I try to LIMIT the amount of exposure to higher volumes. Sometimes when the music sounds so good, I lose track of the volume. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis