Paradigm speakers, Who has some and what you like about them?

T

Tankman

Audioholic
I will be upgrading my L/R mains in a few months. I found this site, "New AudioVideo" they have great deals on some of the best speakers out there. My room isn't big at all 10 X 12 I sit about 9 ft from my mains I am looking at Paradigm speakers. I had a pair back into mid 90's and if my old memory remembers correctly they had a very nice detailed open soundstage. Any of you guys have or had Paradigm's? and if so, what model you have and what you like about them? I am looking at the Paradigm Monitor 7S.7 or the ones right above them. I have been using Polk Audio for years I have had the LSi line. They also have the Monitor Silver line, looked at maybe those also. looking to try something other than Polk Audio. Any ideas or your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What is your budget? Paradigms are good, but there are better options. Going from the LSis I would say the Paradigm Monitor 7 would be lateral or a slight step down. I'd be shooting higher.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
What is your budget? Paradigms are good, but there are better options. Going from the LSis I would say the Paradigm Monitor 7 would be lateral or a slight step down. I'd be shooting higher.
Thanks j_garcia for stopping by to help out an ole enthusiast. My budget is at $1500.00, Thing is I live in a Apt, and my living room isn't big. I am running Polk 60's right now, I found that site last night they have a very good selection of speakers. Polk is running a half off sale on their LSiM line but like I said was wanting to trying something different. Also will be upgrading my AVR, Yammy A1050 or the 2050 and may use it as a pre-pro. Would you recommend some speakers? The only B&M close to me is BB in Lafayette they do have B&W speakers and I believe Monitor Silvers and Martin Logan's also.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
T

Tankman

Audioholic
LSiMs are definitely better than the LSis. I've owned some LSi bookshelfs and many Paradigms. IMO MA Silvers would be an improvement, but at that budget I think you can still do better. What sort of stuff do you listen to?

I'd probably look at these, though not so easy to hear ahead of time:

http://salksound.com/model.php?model=SongBird

A bit above that, the Sierra would also be a solid choice.

http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html
Aww man!, them adcendacoustics are sweet! I just got off their site those are the ticket man! 5 bills above my budget for speaker upgrades, but instead of the Yammy 2050 I go with the 1050 works out. Down the road I was going to add a two channel amp just to drive the mains anyways. Thxs j_garcia for the heads up! Your input is valued in my book. I have been hanging around here for years, joined up just recently and have followed the ole timers and I have found that you guys give honest advice. For an example, you won't recommend adding a amp if it's not really needed. I have been on other sites which I won't mention, but they will recommend 1000 watt monoblocks just to make a sale. Them Ascend acoustics will be in my living room come Oct.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Call them and see if they have any B-stock on those Sierras. You might get them for a bit less. I think they have more bookshelf versions that end up b-stock, but worth a shot :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I found this site, "New AudioVideo"
They are not an authorized dealer of any brand. :D

So that means ZERO warranty.

If you do buy from them, better make sure your credit card has a good charge dispute policy just in case you need to file a dispute. :D

T

Tankman

Audioholic
They are not an authorized dealer of any brand. :D

So that means ZERO warranty.

If you do buy from them, better make sure your credit card has a good charge dispute policy just in case you need to file a dispute. :D
Thxs for the heads up!.. For sure won't be buying from dem dudes! But I did add Ascendacoustics website as a shortcut to my cellphone. I will give them a call for sure...be back soon going take one of my friends to work..

T

Tankman

Audioholic
LSiMs are definitely better than the LSis. I've owned some LSi bookshelfs and many Paradigms. IMO MA Silvers would be an improvement, but at that budget I think you can still do better. What sort of stuff do you listen to?

I'd probably look at these, though not so easy to hear ahead of time:

http://salksound.com/model.php?model=SongBird

A bit above that, the Sierra would also be a solid choice.

http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html
I miss the part where asked what I listen to, umm.. was a head banger back in my younger days..still do to some point, but now that I have mellowed out some, I been spinning light jazz, soft rock, Eagles, alone the line of Diana Krall, and even been spinning Kathryn Kaye. But I do have my throwback days when I spin Journey or Pink Floyd. So with that said nothing to heavy, but I do like to crankup Sirenia, Nine Destinies and a Downfall, my oldest son turned me on to dem cats there from Scandinavia think? anyways dem cats kick man and the CD is so well recorded. But yeah prefer Tower speakers but can't do huge the Sierra's fits the bill, anything bigger would be wasted in this little room.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like a good match for your listening needs. Would have recommended the Slims from Philharmonic, but they run $2200. Figured if I was recommending $2K speakers that are already above budget going with the Slims was pushing it a little too far lol.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/slims.html

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds like a good match for your listening needs. Would have recommended the Slims from Philharmonic, but they run $2200. Figured if I was recommending $2K speakers that are already above budget going with the Slims was pushing it a little too far lol.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/slims.html
Dennis is phasing out the Slims btw. He is in the process of updating his website. Read it over @AVS!

Phil

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Dennis is phasing out the Slims btw. He is in the process of updating his website. Read it over @AVS!

Phil
I did jump over to peek at the
Slims, nice towers indeed. The build quality on the Slims and Sierra's with all the data sheets are impeccable! My oldest Son who has my ole LSi 15's has been pestering me to try other tower makers, he did mention Martin Logan's only because he is ready to move on from Polks. He and I went to a BestBuy in Lafayette, Louisiana and they had a pair of ML's paired with two monoblock Carver tube amps and man I tell ya he and where like...well let's just say we stayed for a hour chilling out with them bad boys they hard to walk away from..lol..we than walked into their Magnolia room, we where like kids in a candy store. So now you guys know why I will be moving up the food chain a lil. I will pair them with a parasound a21 two channel with the Yammy A1050 used as a pre-pro. Would a true Pre Pro be better? sure it would and maybe next year Oct 2018 I just may jump on one, always had a soft spot for NAD pre pros. Thanks guys for taking time out with the recommendations, all solid choices, those speakers you guys recommended are Not your Amazon's best buys for sure..;)

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I did jump over to peek at the
Slims, nice towers indeed. The build quality on the Slims and Sierra's with all the data sheets are impeccable! My oldest Son who has my ole LSi 15's has been pestering me to try other tower makers, he did mention Martin Logan's only because he is ready to move on from Polks. He and I went to a BestBuy in Lafayette, Louisiana and they had a pair of ML's paired with two monoblock Carver tube amps and man I tell ya he and where like...well let's just say we stayed for a hour chilling out with them bad boys they hard to walk away from..lol..we than walked into their Magnolia room, we where like kids in a candy store. So now you guys know why I will be moving up the food chain a lil. I will pair them with a parasound a21 two channel with the Yammy A1050 used as a pre-pro. Would a true Pre Pro be better? sure it would and maybe next year Oct 2018 I just may jump on one, always had a soft spot for NAD pre pros. Thanks guys for taking time out with the recommendations, all solid choices, those speakers you guys recommended are Not your Amazon's best buys for sure..;)
Sounds like a lot of fun. Wished my local BB had a Magnolia. I also want to check out some tube amps sooner or later. Very interested in how they would make my Wharfedale Denton and Diamond 220's sound. The same can be said about my B&W CM1 S1's. :):):)

Phil

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Sounds like a lot of fun. Wished my local BB had a Magnolia. I also want to check out some tube amps sooner or later. Very interested in how they would make my Wharfedale Denton and Diamond 220's sound. The same can be said about my B&W CM1 S1's. :):):)

Phil
The two monoblock Carver tube amps where Cherry red in color. Back in the day I had a two channel TMF- 35, paired with Paradigms. But to hear them tube monoblocks paired with them ML Electrostats, I was almost in tears I tell ya...lol.. My Son who is 37 when we where driving back to his home said Dad I have a BB card But Kim wouldn't understand..lol.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The two monoblock Carver tube amps where Cherry red in color. Back in the day I had a two channel TMF- 35, paired with Paradigms. But to hear them tube monoblocks paired with them ML Electrostats, I was almost in tears I tell ya...lol.. My Son who is 37 when we where driving back to his home said Dad I have a BB card But Kim wouldn't understand..lol.
Hey, I can certainly relate. This hobby is so addicting and can be down right expensive.....LOL!!!! At least I am not spending my money on other things that are not good for me. :):):)

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Which Ascend are you looking at? The Sierra-2 would be my choice with your budget. I have Sierra-1s (with NrT tweeters) in my bedroom which is a bit larger than your room. I doubt you'll need an external amp in a room that size but the option of an avr with pre-outs is always nice.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Which Ascend are you looking at? The Sierra-2 would be my choice with your budget. I have Sierra-1s (with NrT tweeters) in my bedroom which is a bit larger than your room. I doubt you'll need an external amp in a room that size but the option of an avr with pre-outs is always nice.
Flagship Sierras SRT2, with the NrT dome. Black Matte, they come in just under 2 g's. shipping will push it to just under 2.100 ribbon tweeter 7 bills more a pair. There not to big for room. I can go with the Yammy 2050 just for a lil more headroom and for go the A21 amp and upgrade my sub. ..I like the way Phil thinks, spending money on this will keep me out of harm's way. Was thinking of a bike for around 4 g's just jack around on. But how safe would that be? with all dem Wimmens texting on cellphones running everyone over!
lol..

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Flagship Sierras SRT2, with the NrT dome. Black Matte, they come in just under 2 g's. shipping will push it to just under 2.100 ribbon tweeter 7 bills more a pair. There not to big for room. I can go with the Yammy 2050 just for a lil more headroom and for go the A21 amp and upgrade my sub. ..I like the way Phil thinks, spending money on this will keep me out of harm's way. Was thinking of a bike for around 4 g's just jack around on. But how safe would that be? with all dem Wimmens texting on cellphones running everyone over!
lol..
Ah, the Towers will do nicely, too. They're also a bit more sensitive than the Sierra-2, so the amp needs lessen a bit, I'd still hold off on the amp. Are you looking at bundling a Rythmik sub with the Ascends?

Bikes are good, too. I have road bikes but don't ride them much, prefer mountain biking to stay away from automobile world, plus its a lot more fun. Gonna go ride my new one now as a matter of fact.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis