B

BigHearn

Audiophyte
New guy here so if I am in the wrong spot whack me with a newspaper and send me to the right place. With that said recently got a set of Paradigm Monitor 9's a CC290 and a DSP-3200. Now for surrounds should I gto ADP-390's or ADP-190's. Running 7.1 so I need 4 surrounds or should I go 390 sides and 190 backs as the backs seldom see much action.

B

BigHearn

Audiophyte
Paradigm

Ok I guess either no body cares or no one has an opinion? Are my choices of speakers not Hi end enough for comments. Sorry but for me and my budget this is as high end as it’s going to get for a while sorry if its not worthy of comments. While they are not top of the line by any means they are still a vast improvement from the 8-year-old infinity crap I had (HH Gregg close out mass market stuff eight years ago) so maybe you can understand my excitement with these new speakers. I find for the price I paid for them they are very well received. Separation and sound quality are light years from where I was. I was running an old Mirage PS-10 sub. The DSP-3200 blows that antiquated POS out of the water. While there are bigger and better not for $600 there aint. I got 2 Monitor 9's a CC290 and the DSP-3200 for $1750 now need to add surrounds. Wanting to stay with Paradigm monitor so that things are matched (voice coils tweeters etc.) Not to mention price is an issue somewhat. At $200 to $300 a speaker I’m talking another $800 to $1000 for surrounds just wanting to know if anyone has an opinion of which would serve better with my current setup. Running all this on an onkyo 7.1 85w per channel AVR. That too is up for an upgrade at some point but for right now it serves the purpose. :confused:

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
get which ever you like for the sides.
get monopoles for the rears.

G

Guinness6

Junior Audioholic
I'm guessing no one is answering because no one knows how to help? (I don't think anyone would disparage you for your speaker choice).

Have you talked to your dealer? I've taken a lot of advice from mine, and (hopefully) he'll want to do whats best for you, not whats best for his pockets...

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
What'ya want, it was Saturday night.:rolleyes: Guess what most of us were doing?;)

What are the dimensions of your space? I'm inclined to go with jsg and would think the 190s will be sufficient.

B

BigHearn

Audiophyte
Sorry for the rant the room is 20 x 25. Dont want to spend the bucks on 190's and then wish i had gone bigger. Dealer suggested 190's but Im not as concerned about the money as I am the regret factor later if I sit around and say I wish I would have gone with the 390.

just-some-guy

just-some-guy

Audioholic Field Marshall
post some pics of the room, with the seating. that is a kinda wide room. i am thinking that monopoles would be best for the sides also.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
And me, I'd probably do 390s all around for that space.

B

BigHearn

Audiophyte
Will take some pics and post today. Currently have some crappy bose speakers side and rear so no ribbing me on that I know they suk. Truth is with my old setup they were ok but now I would not even know they were there if I didnt see them. They can not keep up with the paradigm speakers regardless of distance settings eq etc. They just dont have the range or tonal quality and are overpowered by the front soundstage. The room is about 20' wide by 25' deep A frame with slanted walls. High celing about 10' you will see when I post pics. Seating is not optimal for HT but its not a decticated HT room its the living room. So HT on one side fireplace on the other forces me to put seating on sides of room not directly in front. Post pics after work tonight and thanks for the help and suggestions.:cool:

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Will take some pics and post today. Currently have some crappy bose speakers side and rear so no ribbing me on that I know they suk. Truth is with my old setup they were ok but now I would not even know they were there if I didnt see them. They can not keep up with the paradigm speakers regardless of distance settings eq etc. They just dont have the range or tonal quality and are overpowered by the front soundstage. The room is about 20' wide by 25' deep A frame with slanted walls. High celing about 10' you will see when I post pics. Seating is not optimal for HT but its not a decticated HT room its the living room. So HT on one side fireplace on the other forces me to put seating on sides of room not directly in front. Post pics after work tonight and thanks for the help and suggestions.:cool:
I'm happy with my Paradigm Monitors also, but don't feel compelled to stay with them for surrounds & backs. Because of the distance between them and the fronts, timbre matching isn't as critical, IMHO. In fact, I was considering going with Axiom QS4's or QS8's, because they've had great reviews and I could get them for less than the ADP's. As you can see from my signature, I have Energy RCRs for my surrounds, and they blend just fine, to my ear. I bought those, because they also sound great and I got them for 1/2 price.

Something to consider.

B

BigHearn

Audiophyte
I hear you on looking at something different but for the first time in my 49 years of tinkering around I want to have a setup that is matched. Never had it and in a posistion now that I can afford to do it the way I want. While in reality it problly would not make enough of a difference for my old tired ears to tell but my mind would tell me different. Any ways got the camera out and the battery is dead so charging up might get some pics up later tonight or in the morning. By the way how do you like your 9's I am pleased as punch loving em they are great speakers for the price. Best thing Ive ever owned anyways and in my budget. After the surrounds going to take a look at a new AV reciever but that can wait a bit another big decision for another day.:)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I hear you on looking at something different but for the first time in my 49 years of tinkering around I want to have a setup that is matched. Never had it and in a posistion now that I can afford to do it the way I want. While in reality it problly would not make enough of a difference for my old tired ears to tell but my mind would tell me different. Any ways got the camera out and the battery is dead so charging up might get some pics up later tonight or in the morning. By the way how do you like your 9's I am pleased as punch loving em they are great speakers for the price. Best thing Ive ever owned anyways and in my budget. After the surrounds going to take a look at a new AV reciever but that can wait a bit another big decision for another day.:)
I'm sure that if I had searched long enough, I could find better speakers for the same price - but I never found any in my area. I'm quite content with my 9's.:D

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
New guy here so if I am in the wrong spot whack me with a newspaper and send me to the right place. With that said recently got a set of Paradigm Monitor 9's a CC290 and a DSP-3200. Now for surrounds should I gto ADP-390's or ADP-190's. Running 7.1 so I need 4 surrounds or should I go 390 sides and 190 backs as the backs seldom see much action.
look at my signature for my system,I say go for the 390's for all 4 rear & sides,I like the 7" mid bass in the 390's.timbre matching is 100%.

I love the way my system sounds.my ht room is 19x17 and I am happy I went with the 390's.

Last edited:
B

BigHearn

Audiophyte
Paridigm Setup

With the size of the room I think 390's are the best bet. Tried to post pics but they are too large and I am having diffucilities making them small enough to fit. Thanks to all for the suggestions and info.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
I was running an old Mirage PS-10 sub. The DSP-3200 blows that antiquated POS out of the water. While there are bigger and better not for $600 there aint.
If you don't mind doing the assembly, the Dayton Titanic 12" is the same price at double the power w/ lower extension. Spend $150 more and you jump to the 15" w/ an HPSA1000 1024watt amp....Tom Nousaine rated these guys the bees knees for output vs. cost.
So I guess THERE ARE bigger and better for the same price :D

(sorry....you were so determined, I couldn't help it!)

B

BigHearn

Audiophyte
Ok I retract maybe there is better for the same price. But in comparison to the Mirage I am a happy camper. At this point I don't want to listen to anything else in fears that I will say why did'nt I get that instead. Bottom line is I have my setup figured out and all that remains is getting the 390's one set one the way one to go. Got to save up a little to finish up. I could spen more or less and have better or worse than what I decided to go with but in the end if I am happy thats all that matters. And I am happy with the entire Paradigm line up. Maybe next year add 1 more sub and a new AV reciever but for now I am good.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis