Paradigm Monitor 11 vs Axiom M60/M80

A

alexadams77

Audioholic Intern
I'm pretty much down to two choices right now. I've auditioned the Monitor 11's and I was wondering how they compare to the Axiom speakers? It's going to cost me around $150 to audition the Axiom speakers if I don't like them, so I'd like to know if anyone knows which would be better for my system?

Room Size: 20L x 14W x 8H
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2200 (6 x 100w)
Center: Bose VCS-10 (100w)
Mains: Bose 701 (200w)
Rear: Bose 301 (150w)

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Either one will be a nice upgrade from what you're using. I have the M60's (V1) & love them. They beat, by a long ways, anything I could've gotten for $800 from a B&M. If I had to critique them, I'd start with the fact that they can be bright if driven with a weak amp/receiver. I started with a Yamaha RX-V620, went to a RX-V3300 (now my pre), & now with a B&K 7250-II. Each step up warmed the sound of these speakers. They will throw some bass if fed sufficient power, but I wouldn't say it's a strong point. It's good..........not great.
On the plus side, their clarity & imaging is excellent. I use mine as my fronts in my HT setup (M22's for rears, VP-100 CC) & when listening to music, I can turn off my CC & the vocals are centered superbly. I have a room similar to yours (15 X 24) that is pretty bad acoustically. The only "treatment" I have are the drapes over the windows (& carpet). Still, at moderately loud levels, this setup sounds pretty damn good.
I've never heard the Monitor 11's so I can't comment on them. But from what I've read they're very nice.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
If you're going to go with Axiom stick with the M60's. The M80's are a 4ohm load and like a lot of power to sound there best. A separate outboard amp connected to your amp would be the way to go. Basically do what the poster above has done.

Now if you go with the M60's, they are 8ohm's and much easier to drive and your receiver should be just fine. The Paradigms should work fine as well since they are an 8ohm load as well.

You might be OK with M80's and your receiver if you don't push things but you're still better served with an external amp to drive them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis