Panasonic TC-P50GT25 50" THX 3D Plasma with 2D Conversion First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
At $1,699.95 for the 42" TC-P42GT25 and $2,099.95 for the 50" TC-P50GT25, the price doesn't sound too bad until you tack on an extra $150 per pair of glasses. There is a lot of interesting technology in the Viera line on top of the 3D including a slew of networking and streaming options. So who's going to buy one of the new GT plasmas? Well, someone that is more interesting in Plasma performance than LED marketing hype for one. Maybe someone interested in 3D, someone interested in 2D to 3D conversion, someone interested in streaming or Netflix or Skype, or maybe just someone that like the reassurance and convenience of THX certification. So, basically, everyone. Featured packed is a good way to describe the new Viera line. High priced shutter glasses aside, these new 3D displays should be turning a lot of heads.

Discuss "Panasonic TC-P50GT25 50" THX 3D Plasma with 2D Conversion First Look" here. Read the article.

gliz

gliz

Full Audioholic
I am not investing one thin dime in in 3D
1. my eyesight is is not equil in both eyes
2. this is just going to be a passing fad

R

roshi

Audioholic
Isn't Panasonic's VT line the 3D ready one? I don't think the GTs can do 3D, but maybe I'm reading the panasonic website wrong...

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
Got an eye out

The G20/25 series of plasma Panasonic televisions are what I have my eye out for. I'll probably be in the market within the next few months.

So who's going to buy one of the new GT plasmas?
From what I've read and demoed the picture, especially the black levels, is excellent. I also tend to prefer the picture of plasma over LCD. The latter seems to exaggerate the colors a bit too much.

Here's a very intriguing idea:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11247_7-6217705-1.html

P

ProtocolOH

Audiophyte
Isn't Panasonic's VT line the 3D ready one? I don't think the GTs can do 3D, but maybe I'm reading the panasonic website wrong...
I think you are. These are the "GT" series, not simply the "G" series. The First Look was at the TC-P50GT25; that specific model is not listed on Panasonic's site (yet).

Go to Panasonic.com, and browse the "Viera 2010 HDTV Series". You'll see a bunch of categories, and I see "VT25", "VT20", "G25" and "G20", plus a bunch of others. Only the VT ones are listed as 3D-capable. I would expect in the next month or two to see "GT25" and "GT20" categories go up. I guess the "T" (Three?) denotes 3D capability or something.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis