E

Emusica

Audioholic
For anyone who is interested, they are now available at Circuit City. I just went and picked one up.:D I just happened to be looking on the CC web-site and saw that they were available. I'm going to give it a test run, along with the new Sony BDP-S550, see which one I like better.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
For anyone who is interested, they are now available at Circuit City. I just went and picked one up.:D I just happened to be looking on the CC web-site and saw that they were available. I'm going to give it a test run, along with the new Sony BDP-S550, see which one I like better.
Great, let us know:D The 55 is getting rave reviews out there, especially at AVS:D So does the 35.
Any discounts yet?

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
If you don't mind mentioning, what were the prices on both the Sony and the Panasonic?

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
They are both $399.
Thank you!
For anyone near a Fry's Electronics, my local store also had both units for $399. I thought the 55 was rumored to be something like $600-$700 initially? When did they drop the price?

S

SHOC

Audiophyte
Amazon has the BD55 for $399.95 with Free shipping as well.

A

Audio2004

Audioholic Intern
Emusica - Please let us know what's your thought after you compare Sony S550 and Panasonic BD55. I'm looking forward to buy either one. :D

Thanks.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Emusica - Please let us know what's your thought after you compare Sony S550 and Panasonic BD55. I'm looking forward to buy either one. :D

Thanks.
I've followed a recent thread over at AVS regarding these two players and they both offer a lot of value. However in that thread the price for the Panny BD55 was thought to be $100.00 more and for that reason the S550 was considered a better buy or given a slight edge.:)

Last edited:
E

Emusica

Audioholic

Thanks.
Well, I can tell you upfront that the Sony looks cooler, but that's about it for starters. It has a nice metallic blue hue to it. Not really a reason to choose one over the other but it may come down to that.

I hope I have the ability to compare the two objectionably, cause right now, it's all about interface and which one is more user friendly.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
As far as mainstream standalones, Panasonic has pretty much had the best record. They weren't always the first. (Sometimes Samsung beat them to the punch.) Panny has been pretty good with bug fixes. One thing annoying about the S550 is that it won't ship with DTS-HD MA internal decoding at launch. Ask LG and Samsung (Philips, too) customers about stuff not shipping at launch pending firmware updates.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
As far as mainstream standalones, Panasonic has pretty much had the best record. They weren't always the first. (Sometimes Samsung beat them to the punch.) Panny has been pretty good with bug fixes. One thing annoying about the S550 is that it won't ship with DTS-HD MA internal decoding at launch. Ask LG and Samsung (Philips, too) customers about stuff not shipping at launch pending firmware updates.
Supposedly the S550 IS shipping with DTS-HD MA which is why it's release came after the S350 which was not released with DTS-HD MA and subsequently will require a firmware update.

A

Audio2004

Audioholic Intern
Sony S550

Looked at the customers' review on Crutchfield.com site, most of them mentioned the S550 was released with DTS-HD MA. :confused:

E

Emusica

Audioholic
Looked at the customers' review on Crutchfield.com site, most of them mentioned the S550 was released with DTS-HD MA. :confused:
Yes, the S550 does have DTS-HD MA, without crappy firmware. On a side note, I don't know why they don't make all the blu ray disks with DTS MA, it sounds so much better than Dolby TrueHD to me. At first I was unimpressed with the Dolby HD, but I didn't have my set-up right. I had to go in and change the audio out from Bitrate to PCM. I was still onlly mildly impressed, until I watched Incredible Hulk with the DTS-HD MA soundtrack:D.

B

bknblk

Enthusiast
Went to my local CC store, they were having a 10% off sale today only (it was supposed to be for small businesses only, but they gave me the 10% anyway)....picked up the BD55 for $359.99:D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats! Fine player.

(how much was the BD-35 there?).

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
I bought the Panasonic DMP-BD55 at CC acouple of weeks ago for $399.00.
I was blown away with it's audio and video performance. It upconverts DVD very well, also. The 7.1 audio with the new formats is really enlightening. It's also 2.0 compatible. This is one of my better purchases. It is a true deal!:D

Kelly

C

cutter

Audioholic
fatwallet

I purchased the panny BD55 online from CC, went through the fatwallet.com website, got 10% off, plus and extra 2% back for using the fatwallet website-- all in all, saved 50 bucks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis