Panasonic BDT 220 - Disc is not compatible for playback

M

myke

Junior Audioholic
Bought one of these last year and everything has been great until about a week ago. Several newer discs I have received from Netflix won't play. It's hit and miss. Today it's the Bourne Supremacy. I get the following error after inserting the disc:

This disc is not compatible for playback.

The only thing I can think of is I updated the firmware about 2-3 weeks ago. I tried to do a factory reset by holding Blue, yellow, ok. And it doesn't give me the 08 FIN option it refers to in the book.

Thanks in advance.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Can you update the firmware again? It may be that another flash will get it working again OR, the laser is dirty. It is frequently a laser issue when you get disc read errors.

M

myke

Junior Audioholic
Can you update the firmware again? It may be that another flash will get it working again OR, the laser is dirty. It is frequently a laser issue when you get disc read errors.
I've tried updating the firmware again and it tells me it has the latest firmware. I can play other blu rays and DVD's and it works fine. It seems that the newer 2013 blu rays don't work. If I put the discs on my cheapo 40 buck digix blu ray player they work. Maybe I will try flashing it through a different method instead of wireless.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
After installing fresh firmware, one should always do a factory reset.

If it is ONLY newer discs, then I'd say it is a firmware issue. Are all of the discs that won't play from the same company? (FOX?) In talking with Oppo, they said Fox is notorious for changing their decoding codec frequently and that required small tweaks to get some discs to work correctly. I am sure Fox isn't the only one, but that's a possibility. I've not had a disc that my BDP79 wouldn't play so far, but it is also a newer player. I bought my parents the 220 last year and they haven't reported any issues yet.

Last edited:
M

myke

Junior Audioholic
Update. I sent in a ticket through Panasonic. They asked me what firmware I was running. I told them it was the latest they have released. A few days later I received a reply saying to insert an SD card or thumb drive into the front. So far this seems to have fixed the problem.

Hope that helps someone else out.

R

Rick348

Audiophyte
Hi Myke, how exactly did u solve the problem?
Did u just insert an SD card and then push "play" to play the Blue ray disk? I have exactly the same problem with my BDT 220.
I have installed the latest firmware and updates but still it doesn't work. could you please explain in details?
Thanks!

selden

selden

Audioholic
Plugging in an SD card or USB thumb drive makes storage space available for the BD-Live feature. Universal titles like to use it to download additional movie trailers and sometimes to provide additional features.

Another workaround would be to unplug the player from the network.

Edited to add:
Without the network connection, it won't be able to download anything and so won't need any storage. Universal discs complain if they can't connect to the network, displaying a message in the upper right corner of their menu pages, but it doesn't cause any other problems.

Make sure the storage you plug in (SD or thumbdrive) doesn't have anything important on it. The player has a format option which you might need to use if there was data on the storage device.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I had the same problem with my Panasonic BD player. It was fussy and wouldn't deal with an imperfect or band new disc. I solved the problem by replacing it with Samsung player and haven't had a problem since. I can only think of three discs the Samsung hasn't played. One was cracked and the other two were dirty and played fine after cleaning. Probably not the answer you wanted. I'm just sharing a similar experience. I still have the Panasonic player that has very little use in case someone wants a deal on one.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis