Pairing Zu Audio Soul Superflys

jezmo

jezmo

Audiophyte
Dear experts, please advise.

I play a combination of 256 kbps iTunes music files and ripped CD tracks from my 2010 MacBook through a Music Streamer 11+, Cambridge Audio 650A and ultimately some obscure DB Dynamics speakers that I bought for a song on Ebay 10 years ago.

I have a few $$ burning a hole and am drooling over the Zu Audio Soul Superfly's that I've seen positively reviewed all over the place. I typically listen to contemporary rock, folk and electronic music. My question is this. The literature for the Superflys indicates that they work best with tube amps. Well, that may well be the case but I'd also love to know if they'll work well with my Cambridge amp or if I'm allowing pure testosterone to drive my thinking here!! Thoughts welcome :)

T

tjf120

Audioholic Intern
I don't have superfly's, but I do have Omens (line below) and Essence (line above).

I use solid state amps with mine. They sound fine. Granted a tube/phono would probably add some 'warmth' to the sound, they sound just fine to me. Having said that, I'm probably going to buy a Peachtree hybrid for dedicated 2 ch next time upgraditis hits me.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
They'll work EXTREMELY well if you pair them with this:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They'll work EXTREMELY well if you pair them with this:

How could you be so insensitive?:eek:

My goodness!:D

Based on those Stereophile measurements of the Zu Audio Essense speakers, I can't recommend any Zu Audio speakers to anyone in my family or friends.:D

Check these out:

But for those who have listened to Zu Audio speakers and love them and insist on them, I would recommend a solid state amp.

Disclaimer: If the speakers sound great to you, it is all that matters, but just don't overpay.:D

Last edited:
T

tjf120

Audioholic Intern
I would have thought that someone with 7500 posts would know more than to just post some graphs and say "this is what this speaker is"

If you actually read the review, he highly recommends the speaker.
Such comments as

"In many ways, the Zu Essence is an underachiever, measurement-wise. But the surprise for me, when I auditioned it in AD's room, was how much of its measured misbehavior was not too audible, other than the rolled-off highs and the lack of impact in the lower midrange. I suspect that Zu's designer has carefully balanced the individual aspects of the Essence's design so that the musical result is greater than the sum of its often disappointingly-measuring
parts."

or

"Conclusions
The Zu Essence is not a hair-shirt product, in which regard alone it has surpassed at least half the high-efficiency loudspeakers in the domestic marketplace. Inasmuch as it's among the more affordable choices—exponentially, in some cases—it has surpassed many of the rest. The Essence is something of a milestone.

With its very good bass extension, superb musicality, lack of egregious timbral colorations, and impressive spatial performance, the Zu Essence qualifies as the first loudspeaker I've heard that combines genuinely high efficiency with a level of audiophile performance for which no excuse needs to be made, all while being priced within the reach of the serious-but-not-crazy hobbyist. I'm really impressed with the Essence—and, yes, I could happily live with it myself: It's that good."

There are several other reviews (6 moons) on the Essence as well.

Either way, they have one of the best return policies out there...and guess what..they don't get very many returns....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"In many ways, the Zu Essence is an underachiever, measurement-wise. But the surprise for me, when I auditioned it in AD's room, was how much of its measured misbehavior was not too audible, other than the rolled-off highs and the lack of impact in the lower midrange. I suspect that Zu's designer has carefully balanced the individual aspects of the Essence's design so that the musical result is greater than the sum of its often disappointingly-measuring
parts."
Those are positive words?:eek:

What those measurements tell me is that the speaker is not accurate and the cabinet has severe resonance, among other things; I'm sure TLS Guy or GranteedEV can elaborate a lot more than I.

Speakers may sound "good" to you, and that is fine, but the measurements do tell us a lot about the speakers.

As long as the speakers sound good to you, it is all that matters since you live with them.

But personally, I could never recommend a speaker associated with those measurements.

It's kind of like seeing a pre-pro or an amp with a THD of 1%, FR 20Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB, SNR -60dB, and Crosstalk of -50dB @ 1kHz. They may sound great to you, and that's fine by me, but I can't recommend it.

Measurements don't mean everything, but they are the starting point.

I might also want to point out that the Aperion Versus speakers do have an awesome frequency response measured by Audioholics. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja

There are several other reviews (6 moons) on the Essence as well.
I don't think I've ever seen a negative review from stereophile or 6moons.

T

tjf120

Audioholic Intern
I might also want to point out that the Aperion Versus speakers do have an awesome frequency response measured by Audioholics. :D
Guess what....the Zu's sound better than the Aperions :D

Not trying to start anything, but having 2 speakers which as you mention, have very different measurement graphs, the Zu's simply sound better.

I use a sub, so don't notice any issue with the low end of the Zu's, and for the high end drop off, I don't listen to a lot of flute recitals, so don't miss the +10 khz signals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_frequency

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I would have thought that someone with 7500 posts would know more than to just post some graphs and say "this is what this speaker is"

An advertiser's job is to recommend his benefactors.

What the measurements tell us the truth.

These Zu speakers are dreadful.

T

tjf120

Audioholic Intern
wth does this mean :confused:
Definition of HAIR SHIRT

: a shirt made of rough animal hair worn next to the skin as a penance
: one that irritates like a hair shirt

There are quotes.......I was quoting the reviewer.....but put the definition in there for you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You know how badly some of those ultra-expensive speakers measure?

I'm thinking Zu Audio was just trying to make these speakers more affordable?:D

By producing speakers that have the same bad measurements as these esoteric ultra-expensive speakers, they were trying to produce the same type of sound, but at a much cheaper cost?:D

But if they sound great to you, then it is all that matters. As you eluded to, you are listening to the sound of the speakers; you are not listening to the sound of the measurements.:D

In the healthcare field, we treat the patients, not their lab results.:D

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I haven't heard these, but I have listened to their Dominance (flagship). It had problems.... several of them. But it didn't change the fact that it was incredibly fun to listen to. It was a brutally powerful speaker that imaged well and REALLY filled space. Frankly, I would love to buy a pair because of how I enjoyed them.

Are they wrong? Maybe. That doesn't mean they don't sound good or are not fun. And the CEO/owner was an incredibly stand up guy in person - something worth supporting, I think.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can relate to speakers that are very fun and exciting to listen to, but may not be "flat" on the frequency response, as defined by a tolerance of +/- 3dB from reference.

From Home Theater Magazine, the Definitive Technology BP7000SC’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.50/–3.64 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3dB point is at 22 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 21 Hz.

As you can see, it is technically off the "linear flatness" by 0.64dB:D, but this loudspeaker ($2,500 each) was extremely fun and exciting to listen to.

The only negative thing I could say about the BP7000 is that it lacked the ultimate resolution and detail when compared to the KEF 201/2, Linkwitz Orion, and Revel Salon 2 speakers. Other than that, the BP7000s were a total joy to listen to, and I could listen to them for hours without any listener fatigue. I really missed those speakers. I regret selling them big time.:(

So I can completely understand when you guys say that those Zu Audio speakers are fun and exciting to listen to.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
It comes down to people who listen to equipment and people who would prefer not to. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis