picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
I was wondering if anyone here thinks that packaging foam is good to use for acoustic panels or deading sound (would it work)?.

Example:

My wife has access to plenty of this type of material and could get it for free.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I was wondering if anyone here thinks that packaging foam is good to use for acoustic panels or deading sound (would it work)?.

Example:

My wife has access to plenty of this type of material and could get it for free.

Any thoughts?
It would deaden the upper frequencies much better than the lower ones, unless you stack it for depth.

M

mojidooji

Enthusiast
Some foam is of limited value for sound absorption. If you hold a piece in fromt of your speakers, you should notice a substantial drop in high frequncies. If you don't, you may want to investigate other options.

Savant

Savant

Audioholics Resident Acoustics Expert
FYI: Packing foam is often highly flammable. Use at your own risk. (By contrast, acoustical foam is typically flame-retardent. And mineral fiber materials are inherently flame-retardent.)

Secondary concerns: Packing foam is often less acoustically absorbent than purpose-made acoustical foam. Also, packing foam is often not made to last whereas some acoustical foams are specifically engineered for longevity.

HTH.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Example:

Any thoughts?
The acoustic properties of fiberglass are well known. Why not use something like that for predictable results? Owens Corning 703 or 705 aren't terribly expensive and other than the dust (wear a mask and vacuum after working with it), it's easy to work with.

Ditto on the flame retardant qualities.

Last edited:
Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
FYI: Packing foam is often highly flammable. Use at your own risk. (By contrast, acoustical foam is typically flame-retardent. And mineral fiber materials are inherently flame-retardent.)

Secondary concerns: Packing foam is often less acoustically absorbent than purpose-made acoustical foam. Also, packing foam is often not made to last whereas some acoustical foams are specifically engineered for longevity.

HTH.
And if anyone needs to know, Jeff worked for one of the largest acoustic companies that made most of there products from foam. So if anyone would know the ins and outs it would be Jeff!!

Glenn

Savant

Savant

Audioholics Resident Acoustics Expert
@Glenn: Perhaps you've heard of the new 3D animated CGI summer blockbuster extravaganza acoustical romance coming out? Foamio and Juliet?

(Sorry: OT. :) )

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis