pa speakers for karaoke?

S

stewroorensu

Audiophyte
Hi guys, very newbie guy here. I'd just like to ask how does a pa speaker differ from other speakers or are there any difference? I would like to have a back up speakers in case we have party at home and i read that pa speakers are designed for karaoke use. Pls enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
PA speakers tend to be more rugged than those designed for regular home use. They are actually better for karaoke (which is Japanese for "can't sing") than your standard ht/music speakers.

S

stewroorensu

Audiophyte
Oh i see. Another question, are loudspeaker and pa's the same? How about those big cabinet speakers, can they be used as karaoke speakers?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
They are the same, but they are made sturdier. Not unlike a Jeep CJ and a Subaru Forester are both 4WD, but which one would you rather take mudding?

I don't know what you mean by "big cabinet speakers" but big doesn't necessarialy mean they will withstand the rigors required by being asked to reproduce rlive vocals which haven't had the benefit of going theough mixing consoles, limiters, and various other processing before being committed to a disc. Raw vocals can be brutal on speakers.

S

stewroorensu

Audiophyte
Oh, i see now. I thought that if the speaker is quite big they can be considered as loudspeakers. So how would you say if its loudspeaker, pa or just music speaker. I was just thinking of buying a used speaker for karaoke.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
They are all "loudspeakers" or "speakers". It's just semantics. PA, DJ, or pro sound speakers will be designated as such.

Don't get me wrong. You CAN use a "regular" speaker for karaoke but don't be too surprised if it dies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis